Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey peeps,

I'm just wondering whether anyone can give me some advise? I have been doing a PhD for the past 3 years. Now that the 3 years of funding are up (from 1st Oct 2003 to 1st Oct 2006), I have no income. I do not want to get a part-time job as I need all the time I can get to prepare for my viva, which is an oral exam based on 3 years of work and is probably the most stressful exam I will ever do. So I am still working full-time (9am - 5pm) at the uni preparing for my viva. I don't think I could really do a part-time job on top of this as I would get too tired and it would add too much stress.

So my question is, am I entitled to any money from anywhere like JSA? I am still registered as a student at the University of Liverpool as I have just paid my tuition fees for thesis pending registration. I'm not sure when the official moment when I am no longer a student is. Is it when (if) I pass my viva or is it when I have the graduation? I suppose I am seeking a job, so would I be entitled to JSA? It seems an unusual situation to be in, but hopefully someone has been in a similar situation and can help me.

cheers,

Rye

·
Registered
112 Posts
I didn't go further than getting accepted to do a PhD because I opted for a job, but I was under the impression that as long as you're still registered as a PhD student, you're still entitled to funding. I know a lot has changed regarding finance since I was at Uni, but your tutor must be able to point you in the right direction.

·
Super Moderator
8,768 Posts
I don't really understand!!!! Why can't you get a Saturday / Sunday job (I'm assuming 9 - 5 means weekdays at uni)?

You could always sell your car to finance your education rather than waiting "cap-in-hand" for a government handout.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't really understand!!!! Why can't you get a Saturday / Sunday job (I'm assuming 9 - 5 means weekdays at uni)?

You could always sell your car to finance your education rather than waiting "cap-in-hand" for a government handout.
Well I need some sort of break after working a hard week. I don't think I can do a full-time job and take on a part-time job right now at the most important and stressful part of my education. Considering the amount of tax my parents pay per year and the fact that I will be paying tax for the rest of my life, then maybe I would be eligible to a government hand-out. Oh wait a minute, it's only lazy parasites and benefit fraudsters who get such hand-outs! I think you must have confused me with one of those!

·
Registered
68 Posts
Firstly, I wish you all the best for your viva, but there are few things to note:

From the instance you handed your soft-bound theses into the university you studied at you are not longer a student. This is practive UK-wide. So you can effectively claim job-seekers allowance if you wish as you now should be seeking professional lines of work (although persoanlly i would not sponge benefits). The fact you paid fees recently does not keep you registered as a student but only keeps your name on the books for the viva and for graduation.

There is no reason why you cannot work as well as study for your viva. If you are having to work 9-5 every day for a long period just to prepare for your viva there is something wrong, you should know the area inside-out by now and should be an expert in the area you researched; the time leading up to a viva should be for re-reading and fairly hard preparation but no need to slog your heart out! The viva will be just a meeting of minds, not a grilling. If it turns out to be a grilling it is because there are fundamental flaws in your research, or the panel chair is not running proceedings effectively.

My experience?.... I submittied my phd 30th September past and have been working as a lecturer since 2nd October practically full-time. The past week I arranged to have my timetable cleared so I could study, but apart from that I came home from work and spent a few hours each evening reading and preparing in recent weeks. My viva is this coming Monday and I don't feel I have anything to worry about.

But I do wish you all the best, just don't fret! [:)]

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Firstly, I wish you all the best for your viva, but there are few things to note:

From the instance you handed your soft-bound theses into the university you studied at you are not longer a student. This is practive UK-wide. So you can effectively claim job-seekers allowance if you wish as you now should be seeking professional lines of work (although persoanlly i would not sponge benefits). The fact you paid fees recently does not keep you registered as a student but only keeps your name on the books for the viva and for graduation.

There is no reason why you cannot work as well as study for your viva. If you are having to work 9-5 every day for a long period just to prepare for your viva there is something wrong, you should know the area inside-out by now and should be an expert in the area you researched; the time leading up to a viva should be for re-reading and fairly hard preparation but no need to slog your heart out! The viva will be just a meeting of minds, not a grilling. If it turns out to be a grilling it is because there are fundamental flaws in your research, or the panel chair is not running proceedings effectively.

My experience?.... I submittied my phd 30th September past and have been working as a lecturer since 2nd October practically full-time. The past week I arranged to have my timetable cleared so I could study, but apart from that I came home from work and spent a few hours each evening reading and preparing in recent weeks. My viva is this coming Monday and I don't feel I have anything to worry about.

But I do wish you all the best, just don't fret! [:)]
Thanks for all your help! I haven't actually submitted my thesis yet and I'm preparing for my mock viva at the moment. I think I am preparing for the worst grilling of my life! Maybe I am actually doing too much.. I am the type of person who gets extremely worried about things and I think I am doing so much because I am so nervous and I don't know what to expect! Having said that, there is a lot of technical detail in my thesis as my subject area is computer science. But yes, I do already know the subject inside-out, I'm just re-reading everything and making sure there is not one single thing that I do not understand. Maybe by the time the actual viva arrives I'll also feel like I have nothing to worry about.

What is your subject area btw? Good luck with your viva.

Cheers,

Rye

·
Super Moderator
8,768 Posts

Well I need some sort of break after working a hard week. I don't think I can do a full-time job and take on a part-time job right now at the most important and stressful part of my education. Considering the amount of tax my parents pay per year and the fact that I will be paying tax for the rest of my life, then maybe I would be eligible to a government hand-out. Oh wait a minute, it's only lazy parasites and benefit fraudsters who get such hand-outs! I think you must have confused me with one of those!
If your parents are paying so much in tax, (without being vulgar about it!) they're obviously earning a good wage. Why not ask them for a hand-out rather than the rest of us tax-payers.

Clearly, you're not a lazy parasite / benefit fraudster but I just don't understand why you think you'd be entitled to a handout simply because you've worked hard all week (which I don't doubt) - there's plenty of other people out there, working more than 5 days a week to make ends meet. Like I said before, if money is so tight that you need financial assistance, I have thought that you'd sell your car to free up some money like other peope on this forum have had to do.

Sorry if you think I'm calling you a lazy parasite - I wasn't intending it to come across that way but surely you can see my point?

·
Registered
495 Posts
Rye, does the Univ of Liverpool have some sort of hardship fund you can apply to? I managed to get 2 months worth of stipend when my phd over ran. But after that I decided to get a job and finish off my thesis in my spare time. It took me 4 years in total (Sep 98 to Sep 2002) but I found it far less stressful than writing full time and struggling with my finances.

Good luck

·
Registered
5,039 Posts
Clearly, you're not a lazy parasite / benefit fraudster but I just don't understand why you think you'd be entitled to a handout simply because you've worked hard all week
I think it's generally known as 'investing in our future' ! There are various funds available to help students, because we need educated people in this country.

I don't know if there is anything specific to your situation Mark but find out where your university's Student Support Services are and go pay them a visit, they should be the experts in this sort of thing

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

If your parents are paying so much in tax, (without being vulgar about it!) they're obviously earning a good wage. Why not ask them for a hand-out rather than the rest of us tax-payers.

Clearly, you're not a lazy parasite / benefit fraudster but I just don't understand why you think you'd be entitled to a handout simply because you've worked hard all week (which I don't doubt) - there's plenty of other people out there, working more than 5 days a week to make ends meet. Like I said before, if money is so tight that you need financial assistance, I have thought that you'd sell your car to free up some money like other peope on this forum have had to do.

Sorry if you think I'm calling you a lazy parasite - I wasn't intending it to come across that way but surely you can see my point?
My parents are currently supporting me. I feel bad taking money off them even though they can afford to support me in the short-term. That's why I made this post to see if there was any other financial help I could get, either from the government or some special fund at the university. I don't need to go to the extremes of selling my car. I only need to live very basically for 4 more weeks, at which point I will have the time to get a job, even a temporary one while I look for professional positions that I am suited to. Furthermore, I do not wish to sell my car! Why should I sell my car when there are benefit fraudsters and lazy people who just don't want to work who have Sky TV and brand new cars! As far as I can see, I am more eligible than they are as I will be genuinely seeking a job. For the record, I see no problem with people who claim JSA if they are genuinely seeking employment. What would you rather they did, just die in a corner? Obviously everyone needs to seek a job at some point. Personally I would sooner get a part-time job (if I could find one quickly) than just claim JSA, because you get more money that way. But the point is, I do not wish to get a part-time job while I finish off my thesis and prepare for my viva. But yeh, no hard feelings. Maybe I didn't make everything clear.

Cheers for the advice brainwashington and cat, I will look into the possibility of getting a hardship grant/loan.

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
Rye ... this is not meant offend so read it all and try to get the gist of what I am saying BUT

Why do people think because of education they are entitled to an income.. based on future tax paying? or what parents pay in tax?

An education is an investment, not only on your future but also your financial future... therefore you need to borrow today for a better financial future

In the states a degree costs ?50000 and that is mostly raised by loans payable back over 20 odd years... people pay it due to the value of having a degree, and als as there is another way.

before everyone shoots me, I dont have a degree, as I didnt see how ?10000 of debt and a mediocre degree could fund me for my future.. I can see how it is worth for people like RYE though who are PHD quality.

My wife and I have sunk ?50'000 of our money, savings loans, credit cards into a business this is also an investment.... for 2 years my wife has made any money or even been paid a penny, every month ?100- ?300 of my salary goes into the business and probably will for another 12 months....

Should we get benefits after all we will pay substantial taxes and employ people and work a combined 70 hours a week for free?

The fact is I have invested in our future and will have cost us the best part of ?65000 by the time we draw a penny, and we will have worked 2 years full time (thats 2 people one full time 50 hours one part time 10-20 hours per week) do we deserve or ask for anything?

Pretty similar to what your doing really, spending and working today for nothing so that you will have a much better future.

So my advice would be look at the bigger picture ... if you really feel like you wont have the time or energy to work but you need the cash ... then you have no choice but to borrow it, either ask the folks or live of a credit card or overdraft for a while Lie everyone else who is investing in there future....

How do you think the rest of the population get qualifications or start businesses

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Rye ... this is not meant offend so read it all and try to get the gist of what I am saying BUT

Why do people think because of education they are entitled to an income.. based on future tax paying? or what parents pay in tax?

An education is an investment, not only on your future but also your financial future... therefore you need to borrow today for a better financial future

In the states a degree costs ?50000 and that is mostly raised by loans payable back over 20 odd years... people pay it due to the value of having a degree, and als as there is another way.

before everyone shoots me, I dont have a degree, as I didnt see how ?10000 of debt and a mediocre degree could fund me for my future.. I can see how it is worth for people like RYE though who are PHD quality.

My wife and I have sunk ?50'000 of our money, savings loans, credit cards into a business this is also an investment.... for 2 years my wife has made any money or even been paid a penny, every month ?100- ?300 of my salary goes into the business and probably will for another 12 months....

Should we get benefits after all we will pay substantial taxes and employ people and work a combined 70 hours a week for free?

The fact is I have invested in our future and will have cost us the best part of ?65000 by the time we draw a penny, and we will have worked 2 years full time (thats 2 people one full time 50 hours one part time 10-20 hours per week) do we deserve or ask for anything?

Pretty similar to what your doing really, spending and working today for nothing so that you will have a much better future.

So my advice would be look at the bigger picture ... if you really feel like you wont have the time or energy to work but you need the cash ... then you have no choice but to borrow it, either ask the folks or live of a credit card or overdraft for a while Lie everyone else who is investing in there future....

How do you think the rest of the population get qualifications or start businesses
Hi Andy,

no offence taken by what you have said. I agree with you that an education is an investment. I don't think an education entitles people to income based on future earnings or based on parents earnings. I think if I am genuinely seeking a job (I will be in a month), then I am entitled to JSA just as much as anyone else who is genuinely seeking a job. The fact that I will be paying tax and that my parents pay lots of tax gives me a moral justification for getting money for nothing. As you will know, I have invested a lot of money into my education through student loans etc and my parents have invested a lot through tuition fees etc. I agree with your point of view, that it is an investment, and any investment for the future will require sacrifices to be made now. I am having to make sacrifices, such as my car coming off the road in a week, and the fact that I am doing the bare minimum in terms of entertainment and enjoying myself. I think I will need to make use of my credit card and also borrow money from my parents. I hope it's all worth it (fingers crossed),

Cheers,

Rye

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
If I remember correctly students cannot claim JSA, as they are studying full time through choice, similarly you cannot claim if you quit your job etc... so it looks like you will have to get a job, or continue to take money from your parents, or alternatively sell your car... A PHD or any degree for that matter should be self funded, I dont see why people should get help or think that they are entitled to help...

It depends on what your PHD is in I guess, you could look to Industry to see if you can get some funding or there maybe some charities that might be able to help you?

·
Registered
495 Posts
If I remember correctly students cannot claim JSA, as they are studying full time through choice, similarly you cannot claim if you quit your job etc... so it looks like you will have to get a job, or continue to take money from your parents, or alternatively sell your car... A PHD or any degree for that matter should be self funded, I dont see why people should get help or think that they are entitled to help...

It depends on what your PHD is in I guess, you could look to Industry to see if you can get some funding or there maybe some charities that might be able to help you?
Rye falls in between the cracks in the system. He's no longer a student as his PhD has run its course and he cannot physically get a job because he's writing up his thesis full time. The sooner he finishes it, the sooner he can get out there and start earning a buck. I certainly wouldn't begrudge him 2-3 months of JSA, IMHO thats what its there for, to help people get on their feet.

·
Registered
942 Posts
A PHD or any degree for that matter should be self funded, I dont
see why people should get help or think that they are entitled to
help...
I wonder if that'll be your opinion when your kids are at Uni, and it's costing you an absolute bomb not wanting to see them starve.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
A PHD or any degree for that matter should be self funded, I dont see why people should get help or think that they are entitled to help...
I wonder if that'll be your opinion when your kids are at Uni, and it's costing you an absolute bomb not wanting to see them starve.
Not going to whore this thead out with an unrelated subject.. so will just say this, I funded myself through Uni, absolutely no help from my parents, as for what the future holds who knows? If I have enough money I will help out my children, but I guarantee you they will work as well as its the only way you learn the value of money!....

and on a side note JSA is designed (in the loosest sense of the word) to help people whilst they actively seek employment you have to go to interviews etc and to the job centre which will take up valuable time and if you get offered a job you have to take it.. therefore he would be better off to actually get a job.

·
Registered
4,686 Posts
Whats this 'students are spongers' rubbish? For starters a good proportion of graduates (though not all) will be higher rate tax payers far sooner than non graduates, so they will pay more tax than non students over the long term anyway!

In the UK we get the sweetest deal there is. Very low tuition costs and a ?3.5k-?4k a year loan so we can afford to live and eat. Not extravagantly unless your parents supplement it, but enough to survive. Compared to Canada where tuition is ?6k a year alone or the USA, where its ?25,000, and you can see we do alright. So I am against 'scrapping tuition fees' etc - we benefit from it and must pay for it.

HOWEVER if there is a government loans assistance for him why the hell shouldn't he use it? He still has to pay it back, and if anything it exists to try and improve the quality of the UK labour force, which will benefit all of us in the long term. There aren't any grants out there any more for any significant amount and a bank won't lend much to someone with no job. IMO we shouldn't label someone studying as a sponger just because he has to borrow from the only source that will lend someone with no job money - hes investing in his future and has to pay it back himself so don't really see the problem.

...Although it sounds like its only a basic test Rye, sure you will be fine mate and can get a job alongside!

1 - 20 of 40 Posts