Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been thinking a lot about getting my own car for next summer and have seen some of the younger member on Golf GTI's.

Here's some background information.

I currently have circa ?2000 saved up, have a part-time job inbetween Uni and I have just turned 19. I have been driving the folks 1.6 golf for a year now however although I have never had a crash *touches wood*, because I am on their policy I don't have any NCB. In Feburary next year I will have passed my test for 2 years and I don't have any convictions/penalties. I have also completed "Pass Plus" and I have passed my "Advanced Driving" test.

Would I be dreaming if I though about saving up for a low(ish) mileage MK4 GTI for about June next year? I know insurance would be steep at first but maybe with the likes of Adrian Flux with the 15% discount and if I put my Dad on as named driver it might not be so horrific? I also don't live in a high risk area and the car would be garaged etc.

Thanks for taking the time to read this. [:)]

John

·
Registered
414 Posts
Are you thinking 1.8T or 2.0? It won't cost you anything to get a quote, but I think you'll be better positioned for the future, if you spend your savings instead of your student loan. You'll be more stingy with it as it's YOUR money and only spend what you need. Wish I could have done that. A friend of mine didn't have to spend a penny of hers, and the interest it earnt over 3 years is a nice little bonus.

Then you're out of uni with no debt to pay off or worry about. You'll then be able to have a better newer car sooner and not have the 10-15k hanging over your head. Take all the free motoring you can!! And/or you could get a rusty old thing to earn some NCB with for when you graduate.

Just my thoughts, it's up to you of course.

Andy

·
Registered
6,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, I was thinking of a 1.8T and just leaving it standard for a couple of years (of course I would have to avoid these forums if I wanted to do that [:p]). I don't currently have a student loan and in Scotland we get our course pretty much paid for so it would be all my own money.

·
Registered
414 Posts
It's a different ball game then!! Have heard of students with V6's!

Just remember it's all fine until something breaks, and it's the car of 3 months food or whatever! Lol

·
Registered
6,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I live at home mate! I'm only 20 miles from Uni and just get the bus in as it's easier, cheaper etc. I would happily go without food for 3months for my own 1.8T! I really hope I can work this out. Will be good to hear others opinions.

Thanks

·
Registered
4,528 Posts
i was driving 205 gti's at 18 ... BUT had my own no-claims bonus... YOU need a no claims before any insurance company will trust you.

Even get a scrapper now for ?100 and insure it ... even if you never ever drive it It may cost ?400-?500 BUT it will save you that in your first years insurance...

My mate was insured on a fiat 126 in his garage for 3 years before he bought his own car

or go for one of the citroe/corsa ?160 a month deals with 2 years insurance...

·
Registered
112 Posts
I agree, those insurers will use any excuse to clobber under 25s, regardless of discount offers. Don't forget the running costs either, if your finances are a bit tight, a VW isn't the cheapest car to keep going, and they ain't as reliable as ze Germanz would like you to think. Don't rule out the cult status of a knackered, cheap as chips jalopy as a fun and insurance beating alternative. More than a few on here have reported on the care free joys of owning a motor that's cheaper to buy and maintain than the average supermarket trolley on your nearest Netto carpark.

·
Registered
414 Posts
hills bills makes a very good point there mate!

I'm 22 - my first car was a 106, my second was a mk2 GTI and i'm currently in a PD150. Now from that list you'd think i couldn't have been more?desperate to jump out of the 106 and into the cars that followed but in reality the year in which i had the Pug was the most important?(and?dare?i?say?most?fun) of all the time i've been driving.

I got myself on a scheme where they offered to double your NCB and just enjoyed myself for a year in a car which i cared very little about.

Owning a car you have no emotion over is much underrated, sure we all want a modern car with a bit of poke but you're in a lucky situation?which?you?can?exploit,?i?know?you've?been?driving?the?parents?car?but?the?fact?is,?owning?your?first?car?is?a?great?feeling,?no?matter?what?it?is?
so?if?i?were?you'd?i'd?take?advantage?of?this?fact?and?buy?something?small?and?reliable?and?put?yourself?in?a?better?long?term?financial?situation.?Cos?lord?knows?if?you?set?
the?benchmark?at?a?18T?this?early?on?then?you'll?never?dip?below?it?and?you'll?be?having?to?buy?V8s?just?to?satisfy the?desire?for?more?by?the?time?you're?in?your?late?20s!

·
Registered
6,213 Posts

Just remember it's all fine until something breaks, and it's the car of 3 months food or whatever! Lol
It always amazes me what you see or hear of some students driving about in. I though the little money they had was spent on cheap strong lager and kebabs!

But i'll agree, its al very well stretching yourself for the car, but you have to run it. Then you have to pay for wear and tear and servicing, on top of whatever may break. Then you have the car park dings, the attempted break ins, your excess etc. Tax, renewing isnurance. Look worst case. It does happen. You have to take all these into account because not everything in life is as reliable as a VW lol

·
Registered
170 Posts
I bought my 1.8T GTI when I was still 19 and had 0 NCB. First year cost me ~ ?2000 (10 month policy), second ~ ?1100 (10 months, 1 NCB) and I have just paid ~ ?650 (10 months, 2 NCB). All of these are fully comp with class 1 business use and my parents added to the policy as named drivers (I found that this brought down the quotes quite significantly).

I reckon it would be a stretch to insure and run a 1.8T on a student's income, but at the end of the day you are the only person who can judge how much disposable cash you have for a car and what other financial commitments you have!

·
Registered
5,416 Posts

It always amazes me what you see or hear of some students driving about in. I though the little money they had was spent on cheap strong lager and kebabs!

But i'll agree, its al very well stretching yourself for the car, but you have to run it. Then you have to pay for wear and tear and servicing, on top of whatever may break. Then you have the car park dings, the attempted break ins, your excess etc. Tax, renewing isnurance. Look worst case. It does happen. You have to take all these into account because not everything in life is as reliable as a VW lol
Vw aint that reliable mate [:p] compare them to other cars.. [:D]

Sat [y]

·
Registered
6,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank you for all the replies, I agree with what you say and it would be best to wait. Just getting ahead of myself! My Dad's friend owns a GT TDI and he said he will be selling it in a couple of years so maybe that's something to look forward to!

Thanks again!

·
Registered
368 Posts
hey im 18 and got my GTI T when i just turned 18. Had a years nc and was driving a new polo since i passed my test just after i was 17. My insurance was ?1800 and iv just renewed it again and its down to ?900 - thats me just about 2 turn 19.

I work fulltime however so the money side isnt too bad but am going back to uni next year - soon see what the finances will be like when back there.

Andy

·
Registered
6,213 Posts

Vw aint that reliable mate [:p] compare them to other cars.. [:D]

Sat [y]
Hence the sarcasm [;)]

·
Registered
6,213 Posts
BTW, I dont know if its just me, probably not, but I simply cannot comprehend the logic behind paying like ?1800-?2000 a year for car insurance.

I'd rather walk then part with that for a piece of paper worthless cover note (which is probably all you are getting) Seriously. I could not justify wasting that much money on insuring something, even if I could afford it.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Sod cars..... get a nice roadbike/supermoto for uni.

Cheap to buy,run and insure compared to cars and alot more fun.... (Ive been there and done it...but now im a dad its a diff)
Miles better than catching bus.
Most bikes are far quicker than cars

For an example:
Car tax for the year is ?180 there about for the 1.8t
For 'ANY' Superbike/supermoto' its ?30 for the year for road tax

The Standard 1.8t will do around 28mpg (its not very quick in standard trim at all !)
A supersport 400/600cc road bike will do around 45mpg and still give you performace figures of 0-60 in 3.5 seconds, 0-100mpg in something like 8 seconds...the list goes on.

i wasted my money on quickish cars when i was younger (205 Gti, Punto GT, 206 GTI). Looking back i wish i wouldnt have botherd and got a roadbike instead.

get a bike... then you'll have money for booze/holidays too.

·
Registered
6,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Sod cars..... get a nice roadbike/supermoto for uni.

Cheap to buy,run and insure compared to cars and alot more fun.... (Ive been there and done it...but now im a dad its a diff)
Miles better than catching bus.
Most bikes are far quicker than cars

For an example:
Car tax for the year is ?180 there about for the 1.8t
For 'ANY' Superbike/supermoto' its ?30 for the year for road tax

The Standard 1.8t will do around 28mpg (its not very quick in standard trim at all !)
A supersport 400/600cc road bike will do around 45mpg and still give you performace figures of 0-60 in 3.5 seconds, 0-100mpg in something like 8 seconds...the list goes on.

i wasted my money on quickish cars when i was younger (205 Gti, Punto GT, 206 GTI). Looking back i wish i wouldnt have botherd and got a roadbike instead.

get a bike... then you'll have money for booze/holidays too.
Don't fancy a bike round this area, and I would have to spend money on the test etc.

"0-100 mpg" you say? [:p]

1 - 18 of 18 Posts