Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...........I feel smug about my choice to buy and stick with a diesel car?

Well, there's more to it than that, as you might expect!

My business partner had Saab's for a long time - some nice cars, all turbo's - a mix of 9000 2.3t's and then 9-5 2.0t, concluding at a very fast 9-5 HOT Aero.......

When I ordered my Mk4 Golf he was only about 18 months into owning the Aero, and then started whinging about wanting an X-type Shag-uar (newly out at that time).

So, to seemingly 'beat' me to the new car 'goal' he changed his Aero (taking a massive finance hit on it) for a 3.0 X-type.

It turned out to be a heap of kack - he hated it mainly because of the Auto gearbox.

My new Golf (mk4) arrived and when the opportunity arose he then seemed to make every effort to belittle the advantages of having a TDi......running costs over higher initial cost, black smoke (oh, it DID frikking smoke sometimes!), etc, etc.

Not once did I bite.....I did offer to take my old tractor on a dual-carriageway and do a head-to head from 20-120, but the chance never seemed to arise (strangely!)

OKay, if you're still awake, i'll cut to the chase.........

After 30 months of ownership I was making 'noises' about changing the Mk4 Golf for an Audi..........

........almost the very next week I couldn't believe my ears!!

.....Yes, he was thinking of changing the Shaguar for another car...an Audi!!

.....He went to look at the A3's and ended up buying a TT 3.2 DSG....

Hmmmmm.......nice logic!

Anyways, it is (of course) the dogs wotsits at EVERYTHING....handling, good sized boot, performance, and EVEN mpg...getting nearly 28 on average.

Since then, i've heard nothing but "28mpg in a 3.2 - glad i didn't get a Diesel now!".....what a load of TOSH>>>>>

This is the bit i'm ashamed of:

Last week the TT was misfiring and Audi came out, diagnosing Coil pack failure.......(I had a LOL to myself)

They changed them all and the spark plugs........fair enough, but i said NOTHING.

This week, the TT has started to have an intermittent misfire again.........a new fault and not showing on diagnostics......

He got toasted at a traffic light sprint by a Toyota Carina !!!!

So today Audi took the TT away and bought him a loan car......

.....An A4 DIESEL.......and how much bigotted complaining did i hear for 1/4 of an hour on the phone??!!!!

.....I HAVEN'T STOPPED SMIRKING SINCE!!

Sorry if this has been a bit of a Jackanory but I thought i'd share it with you.

I am going to do something I NEVER usually do with him.....MILK THIS SUCKA FOR EVERY DROP!!!!!

I can hear my opening greeting next monday morning..."Good weekend? How many cylinders is the TT running on at the moment?"

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Quote: posted by Foxy on 10/11/2004 23:24:16

I can hear my opening greeting next monday morning..."Good weekend? How many cylinders is the TT running on at the moment?"

lol

·
Registered
3,756 Posts
Mwahahaha, sounds like a guy my old man used to work with, proper competitive and has to think he is going one better. When he's not. [:D]

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
Oh, and in answer to your initial question, am I a bad person...

NO!!

I would say you are a remarkable person for putting up with all that BS for so long!!!

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sounds like i'm painting a really bad picture of this person........well, he's generally a very decent bloke......I think he just has an inferiority complex......I see it in many ways.

When we complete a project and things go well/successfully, I like to discuss it and say 'WE' did well (as a team).

He has to tell me about all the bits HE did and tell me how good they were, AND ask me if I thought they were good/great/without fault.

He'd do anything to help me with ANYTHING though, so i'll just add that for balance!

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
He still has the 'noisy oil burner'.........ROFL......i've been ripping it out of him quietly all week.

I keep asking if his reliable TT is mended yet.........so, how is the diesel loaner then? LOL!!!

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
Quote: posted by dubzter on 11/11/2004 16:53:34

nice one foxy, I'm quite surprised at the coil packs though, hope my R isn't going to start that carry on.

a guy I work with's girlfriend bought a used V64Mo recently and they described a misfire problem to me - which I correctly diagnosed as coil pack failure [:I] so it isn't just restricted to the 1.8T's.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
UPDATE:

STILL no sign of the TT, nor even a single word from Audi about what's the matter or when it will be returned!!!

Matey has the A4 Avant TDi and says he's liking it now.......reckons its not THAT good on fuel if you clog it...

.....feck me! - the donut aint worked out that a 500-mile old diesel engine is still tight as a nun's chuff.......

.....my new MK5 has risen from 35mpg average at new, to around 42mpg (and rising) at 2200 miles......as an example.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Some people have no idea! Diesels have progressed a LOT. If you asked me about 5 years ago, "Would you own a diesel car?" I would laughed in ya face. Now, I wouldn't think twice about that question! It would be a definate YES!

Done 200 miles since the vRS was delivered. The engine's still tight but average consumption is around 40mpg. I estimate I will be up into the 50's with a couple of thousand on it.

·
Registered
574 Posts
I dont have a diesel and i have never driven one before (well not including a dirty ford tractor of a fiesta as a learners car) but i do know that my next car will definately be a Diesel, with a sh*t load of torque to go with it [;)]

·
Registered
638 Posts
LOL, Sounds like my sister.

She has a 2000 A4 1.8 Estate, and she reckons her car is good on a long run as she gets 27MPG on a run! COnsidering my dad owns a S8 of the last few Audi made before changing the body to the new type, he just got back from a few days in london, and his car got 28MPG cruising on the motorway, and thats a stonking 4.2 V8!! lol

Before she had a ride in it, she said it was noisy, sluggish, drank lots etc, and she didnt even know what a good unit the TDIs are.

Well, I had to take her in my car up to Lincoln, she was reluctant to allow me to drive. Lincoln from me is probably around 2 hours, and about 100 miles away. Well, my car only had half tank of fuel, she said when we left Norwich, better you fill up? Nope I said. Did some overtaking etc on the A17, and still got home with 1/8 a tank having averaged 55mpg. She was flabberghasted.

By the way, you are not a bad person. People think that TDI's are slow due to low BHP figures compared to petrol equivalents, but what they dont appreciate is the pulling power when rolling at 30-40MPH to blast round something ona single carriageway.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yeah, thanks for that.......

......turns out that the TT was away with Audi for over a week.

He was sad to see the A4 TDi go back....said it "pulled like a train"

So much for the petrol-head snobbery!

Didn't believe me when i said his lowly 35mpg average would increase by 10mpg after a couple of thousand (it was only a few hundred miles old when he got it).

Audi told him the car's unusual misfire/poor performance were coil-pack related AND a DSG gearbox software issue.

They reloaded the software apparently - and all should be well.

WELL, in fact last week the problem has recurred!

Now i really am a bad person because i think he deserved it for being bigoted about the TDi.

Seems like the ?30k TT will have to go back to Audi again.

Before you ask - OF COURSE i rubbed it in that over the last 3 years none of my TDi's have missed a single beat.....not once, never ever...ever!! LOL!!!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts