Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
finally decided to get rid of the wooden trim but didnt want to pay £115 for the proper trim so i did me own,had a look at how to remove trim from vortex forum and i got to say im pretty chuffed with the results

tried it on the odb port trim first to see how it was,primer,paint,laquer

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

will take some pics of them in me car tommorow,ive fitted them and it looks spot on[:D]

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
here the parts fitted

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

ill see how long the door handles last,ill have to be careful with them,but apart from that ive save £100 and only took 2 days the most to do,paint to dry was longest bit,im well chuffed[:p]

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Looks good, is the actual finish as good as the genuine alu trim? Or can you tell straight away that its not the proper thing?

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
just pull from the bottom,have a look on vortex forum it shows you how,i got the primer paint and laquer from halfords and the paint is audi brushed aluminium paint

·
Registered
145 Posts
I wasnt convinced at first, but it does look good when fitted. However it wont have the depth and feel of the oem trim. Also as someone pointed out, the door handles might not last very long.

A good way to save 100quid, but i would rather pay the extra for the real thing.

·
Registered
432 Posts
How many coats of lacquer have you applied. Is it worth putting a few coats of lacquer on - or even loads of coats to protect it?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Is the actual R32 trim alloy or is it just alloy painted? If its actual alloy then you`ll feel the difference between it and the painted one. But, the painted ones do look good. Ive painted interior trim on a lot of my cars in the past, and door handles do flake/wear off eventually. One of the secrets is to sand the actual trim with some sand paper before you paint to give the paint a really strong key.

·
Registered
68 Posts
You have the radio above the cd player....... have you ever had it the other way round as is more common? My cd player is positioned on top and personally think it's a tad low.

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
looks great in the pics

let us know how it wears pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeee

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
i am going to do this but i can only get the cup holder, ac bit. and the underside of the trim off but the side bits seem to be part od the actual frame which i cant manage to get off ts a 1.4 match i dont kno its its the same on all of these moddles

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
yeah mate i prefer the cd at bottom,easier to press buttons when the radio on top

regarding the paint i did plenty of layers of paint and laquer so hopefully will last,its just brightened up my whole interior

will let you ppl know how it holds up[:D]

·
Registered
89 Posts
i done this before i got my r32 bits i used vauxhall starsilver and done 3 coats or silver 3coats of laq

so
easy to do i have my old stuff laying here bare the passengers handle
if anyone interested im me i could do any colour at paint cost!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts