Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok so i had this message come up on my dash this morning, after looking through the forum i did a few tests on the car with my meter before the engine is started the reading is 12.12v when running its 11.84v and straight back to 12.12v when switched off i have phoned the local auto electrics garage who say the alternator has gone, what do you guys think could it be the battery?

p.s the message come up half way to work and drove for about 5 miles after it came up, started car 2 hours after came to work and fired up no problem?

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
the fault cleared on the way home from work checked voltage with engine running when got home and 14.4v charging again? just hope it doesnt rear its head again, although i think it will, at £155 for a new alternator i hope it holds out for a few months or hopefully its just the regulator which only come in at £20

·
Registered
161 Posts
I had this a few weeks ago, it sounds like your alternator, if it was the battery and you start it the voltage would still come up to around 14v. Don't run the car like this for long or you will end up with a knackered battery aswell

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
the message hasnt come up since yesterday and been out in the car today checked voltage again and 14.4v so all is well if the mesage comes up again ill have to bite the bullet and buy a alternator

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.