Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The story so far,Two years ago nearly to the day i had my alternator replaced as it was completely knacked

Took it to the same garage i`ve used for years, so lately i had alternator workshop pop up on the dash so i took it in to see whats the score, he had my car for two days then phoned me up and said theres nothing wrong with it????

I had a burning plastic kind of smell,then loss of power followed by alternator workshop,as i`ve read this is the norm for a knacked alternator oh and a what can only be described as a grinding noise from time to time

They`ve had it on the computer and the front end of the car off .14.4v at the battery and the alternator checks out ok,they run it for 4 hours and no noise?? and no drop in power???

The only thing they said the computer said was there was something wrong with my timing

Any ideas people as another alternator means £300 and that means the way things are going is thats £150 a year for it only to be replace two years down the line??

The only differents to the standard car electric wise is my amp (400w) and sub

Thanks for reading cj

·
Super Moderator
50,230 Posts
Plugging a computer in to diagnose faults like this on a car as old as the mark 4 now is is about as pointless as pluging an electric toaster in to it[:DD].

Do the full load test as described below........

HOW TO TEST

If it is only the regualtor part that's faulty it's an easy DIY fix and only costs about £40.

Chris.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Chris will give it ago (can`rt do any worse than the garage did) or did`nt

Would a broken regulator make a grinding noise by any chance?

cj [Y]

·
Super Moderator
50,230 Posts

cj
No it wouldn't as it's purely electronic,that could be the tensioner which is right next to the alternator,you can touch it with a screwdriver when the engine is running to feel if the noise is coming from it or not.There is a bearing just inside the front cover of the alternator that MIGHT be the culprit.

Chris.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

cj
No it wouldn't as it's purely electronic,that could be the tensioner which is right next to the alternator,you can touch it with a screwdriver when the engine is running to feel if the noise is coming from it or not.There is a bearing just inside the front cover of the alternator that MIGHT be the culprit.

Chris.
Thanks again Chris [Y]

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I know theres fuse`s on the top of the battery and the resistor on the alternator, but is there a relay for it anywhere

Its just i can smell burning plastic really bad, i`ve checked the fuses on the top of the battery and there fine so its not them

As i will be going to maplins in the morning to buy a digital multimeter so may aswell buy the relay (If there is one) cj

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks mate might take you up on that, getting bored with being ripped by garage defo doing more diy on it in the future ,egr delete/manifold/turbo (cleaning) its just down to tools (had my garage raided by some little *&£%^£$%`s)

Thanks again [Y] cj

1 - 11 of 11 Posts