Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Following on from this thread I started......

http://uk-mkivs.net/forums/t/395534.aspx

Have had a good nosey today, and 110amp alternator fuse has melted on fusebox on top of battery. Have ordered a new one, but wont be there till Friday...

Anyone had same, will fuse sort problem. I've read a new fuse box is recommended as well, but £70 from VW, think I'll be looking for a breaker.....[:)]

·
Super Moderator
50,234 Posts
Don't just assume the problem will be fixed by putting a new fuse in as there HAS to be a reason it blew.Very likey there's a problem with the alternatorr itself,so replacing just the fuse could well have you on the phone to TPS immediately afterwards.

The fusebox shouldn't be that expensive,I ordered one last week and it was about £40 ish including two new fuses,IMO it really isn't worth trying to save money in this area of the car is that fusebox is the only thing that stands between you and....

Chris.

·
Registered
292 Posts
This had happened to my bro's MK4, well the fuse hadn't actually gone. I had a hunt around with the multimeter and had high resistance between the fuse and the alternator. Closer inspection the fuse was distorted from heat caused by a bad connection. Cleaned up the fuse and slapped in some contact grease and it's been fine ever since.
Was it a clean melt/break? Or had it melted the plastic around the fuse too?

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Point taken imagewerx!!

Thought I'd read somewhere £70!! Appreciate it's blown for a reason, and looking after a search, I see you've offered plenty of info in past on this subject. Am not at home now so can't check, but looking at alternators for AUM 1.8T engine code states they're 120 amp, is this correct?? The blown fuse is only a 110, so should be a 150 fuse if 120 amp, and 110 if 90 amp, that's correct isn't it??

This is where I was looking.......[:S]

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VW-GOLF-MK4-1-8-TURBO-GTI-99-04-120AMP-ALTERNATOR-A298-/230566908156?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item35aedbd0fc

·
Super Moderator
50,234 Posts
AUMs would normally be 90 Amps in my experience,and as you say with a 110 Amp fuse link it can only have been that anyway.But of course there's no reason why you can't fit a 120 Amp one,just no need to.

Chris.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This had happened to my bro's MK4, well the fuse hadn't actually gone. I had a hunt around with the multimeter and had high resistance between the fuse and the alternator. Closer inspection the fuse was distorted from heat caused by a bad connection. Cleaned up the fuse and slapped in some contact grease and it's been fine ever since.
Had melted plastic around fuse as well tmagnet....[:(]

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Had melted plastic around fuse as well tmagnet....[:(]

·
Super Moderator
50,234 Posts
Had melted plastic around fuse as well tmagnet....
It's a no-brainer then as far as I'm concerned.Save a couple of quid or risk a fireball?

Chris.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Why do VW fit an alternator fuse?

I'm just curious as I know some manufacturers don't.

I must agree though, it just ain't worth cutting corners for the sake of a few £

1 - 9 of 9 Posts