Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got my iPod nano today and was wondering if any ipod owners on here dumped the trademark white headphones for something better?

I'm usually not fussed on them but tend to find the iPod headphones leak out too much sound and I kinda don't like the way it advertise iPod user. Plus my wife needs a replacement pair for her Mini so I've decided to give her mine and go and buy a third party pair.

Any recommendations?

·
Old Skool UK-MKIV member
1,594 Posts
Other than the expensive earphones such as Bose and B&O, the Shure
E2c's are meant to be very good earphones, at a fraction of the price.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ouch, aren't the Shure the ones that cost like ?60-?80? [:O] Do like them but not sure I want to fork out so much for headphones.

BTW I hadn't realised you change your Golf for a Civic Type R, I bet your grinning! [:p]

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sorry should have stated, something about ?30 max but then again, that might pushing it a bit for 'quality'

Might go on ebay for a search for these Shures.

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
I have bought Sennheiser PXC250 for use in the gym - they have noise cancellation - cost ?89 very happy.

The best in-ear ones are made by Shure I have been told - but they are priced to reflect how good they are!

EDIT - took me ages to type reply!!

·
Registered
582 Posts
Other than the expensive earphones such as Bose and B&O, the Shure
E2c's are meant to be very good earphones, at a fraction of the price.
I have Shure Ec2's - they are amazing. When I got my mp3 player, I
needed to listen to it at a volume of 15-20. With the Shure's I can
hear at a volume of 7 and still get more detail, greater bass etc etc.
Mine cost 59 pounds but if you shop around you can get them form the
states for about $60

EDIT Forgot to say that I think you can get rubber add ons for the ipod
earphones which make them sort of noise cancelling........

·
Registered
894 Posts
If you want buds go for the Sennheiser MX400, same as the MX500 but minus the inline volume control, if you fancy some good small portable headphones try the Sennheiser PX100.

As mk4 turbo said check out play.com as they seem to have good prices on Sennheiser at the moment.

·
Registered
894 Posts
I'm using a set of Seinheister headphones (?30) for my Ipod. Very good sound quality for the money, and they are very light and very comfortable to wear. The band goes around the back of ur neck, rather than over the top of ur head :)
Probably the PMX60 or PMX40.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
I replaced mine with Sennheiser PX100's - about ?30 but you can get them cheaper - and they are so much better than the standard Ipod ones - loads of bass and quality.

They do leak a fair bit of sound though, but that didnt bother me.

Also, have you removed the Euro decibel cap limit thingey from your Ipod yet? Makes a big difference to the volume available!

Have a look here - http://www.avforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=164 and here http://www.avforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=128

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for all the replies guys. I used the normal ipod ones and a lot was left to be desired and yes I'm on the Tube all the time and know how irratating the noise leakage on them are.

I think I may give the Sennheiser MX500 a go. Want to get the Shure but don't think I feel good spending ?50 on a pair of headphones. Have been considering some over the head ones but if any of you have seen the size of nano, you probably understand why I only want plug ins [:p]

BTW anyone here has the more expensive iPod headphones that Apple sell? any good?

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
BTW anyone here has the more expensive iPod headphones that Apple sell? any good?
IMO utter dross. I paid out for them and after 2 day lobbed them on the shelves with my other junk such as a Mr Frosty. There is no bass at all with them, even after altering the iPod settings. I was very disappointed

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hahah thanks for that, will avoid then :) Apple ripping people off again with sub standard accessories. Well I never!

·
Registered
942 Posts
A mate of mine bought the expensive Apple in ear phones, and I'll
second the opinion of utter dross. Total lack of bass and far too tinny.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Rayban,

I too utterly despise the standard ipod earphones. Believe me, the 'ear jam' add-on makes them no better!

I bought a pair of Sony MDR-EX71 earphones.

Review: http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/reviews/comments/sony-fontopia-mdr-ex70lp-earphones-ipod/

They are fantastic. Fit comfortably in the ear, cancel out a lot of noise (work great on planes!) and have amazing bass reproduction for such tiny earphones. They were only available in black in Europe with white ones only being available in Japan.

The wires are a little thin and they need 'breaking' in (I ran mine for 24hrs hooked up to my pc at full volume).

Black ones on Amazon: http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000684HRI/kelkoo-2004-ce-21/ref%3Dnosim/202-2751160-5155860

White ones on Amazon: http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000684HRI/kelkoo-2004-ce-21/ref%3Dnosim/202-2751160-5155860

I bought white ones off of a girl in Taiwan 6 months ago via ebay, paid ?16 for them delivered so it could be worth searching on there first before buying from Amazon!!

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
hey Chris, thanks for that buddy. I've actually been eyeing these up but didn't want to pre-suggest these in my post and see if anyone would mention them. [:)] They do look the business especially in the white to suit the ipod (I got the white nano).

Stupid thing is my ipod nano did make its trip from Hong Kong (the 4GB cost me ?135) as my bro in law came back from there yesterday so its bit shortsighted that I never got him to get me a pair of headphones. DOH!

I think I will get them on ebay.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts