Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
can i fit a solid flywheel and the clutch off some other golf or vw etc? because i havent got much money and i want to do a solid flywheel conversion on me car because the old dmf is nakd. any help is apprewciated thanks, brad.

·
Registered
4,250 Posts
Unfortunately not, as you have a 6 speed 'box. There's a conversion for the 5 speed that uses a G60/ABF flywheel and VR6 clutch, but it won't fit your car.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Alright buddy i see your in sunderland- I live in newcastle and go to sunderland uni. If you travel over to gateshead and into bill quay theres a VW scrap yard and breakers (VDubs) Im pritty sure they can replace a clutch and fly wheel for 210 (dont quote me on that but its in and around that price)

Im not sure if thats a new clutch but am sure if u suplied the clutch from euro parts or wherever they would fit it and a decent DMF.

Give me a shout if u want any deets!

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
damn! so does anyone know the cheapest place that sells one, i think ive been quoted 190 quid before but i could be wrong it might have been 290. can u not just weld the 2 halfs of a DMF together providing theyre aligned perfectly?

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Alright buddy i see your in sunderland- I live in newcastle and go to sunderland uni. If you travel over to gateshead and into bill quay theres a VW scrap yard and breakers (VDubs) Im pritty sure they can replace a clutch and fly wheel for 210 (dont quote me on that but its in and around that price)

Im not sure if thats a new clutch but am sure if You suplied the clutch from euro parts or wherever they would fit it and a decent DMF.

Give me a shout if You want any deets!
ahh arite mate glad to see someone local :). what are deets? yeah ive been to veedubs for a few things, could be worth a phone call on monday hopefully he has a crashed one in with a smf conversion on already. you get youself out regular in the nroth east?

ps: aww no i do all the work myself the gearbox is out at the minute just waiting for something pemanent to go back in namely a SMF. ideally a want a fast road clutch because i drive cars hard

·
Registered
352 Posts
I was just going to give you the number lol ! Yeah man give him a call. If im honest it might just be cheaper for you to get a second hand dmf off him but in good nick? Im pritty sure you would loose some torque changing through the gears if you converted to single mass.

Yeah mate i do! Dub north east ! There was quite a big meet of us, about 30 cars or so at spillers on thursday night. Tends to be either at the muti story car park at st james or somewhere else depending on light and weather. A few of us also head over to peel on sundays or team valley.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
aww haha ok sorry about that i didnt understand. yep sounds like a good idea, ive done a bit of research and know what a good DMF should feel like. supposedly the gearbox just takes a bit of a beating and the car rattles more at idle with SMF. aww ok i have never been to a local one ive been to birmingham and sedgefield with me friend hes got a mk2 but currently putting a 1.8turbo in it. as soon as ive got this sorted i wanna get out there hopefully.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Ahh right cool. 2 of my mates are currently rebuilding mk1's for the season- ones running a standard 1.6 in a red cabby and the others putting a 2.0 16v mk3 gti engine into a tin top.

Wish i had the money for it but i would be letting myself into something too big to start off with so the mk4's my daily and project haha.

I will giv u a pm next time thers a meet on- always some really quality builds there.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
aww great cant wait to see them will they be out with you when theyre completed? its the same for everyone mate im running a van as well and i barely have enough cash to get this one sorted just yet. but its almost there, going to have the turbo checked over and its condition then if its nakd mays well go for an upgrade as well

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
unbelieveable i spent hours looking for one and someone just pops it up on here ha. thanks a lot MRTOG

is this person whos selling on uk-mkivs? or does anyone know them

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
thanks for looking again but im guna stick with the solid flywheel dont care if it is a tad rattly at idle it will last for ages

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
right took a look about today and cheapest quote i got was 400 quid for a brand new SMF and clutch kit. im also busy asking a few questions to the guy in the link on ebay so fingers crossed ill have something soon. didnt have nothing to do today so i relocated the FMIC of me car with new brackes i made and i now need a new front bumper because i hacked the old one to bits with a grinder because the FMIC was sitting too proud. doh!

so for people wondering whether they can fit a universal one without doing in your front bumper, yes you can. ill post a picture thread up and a method to fit, because its being taken to bits again to be paint matt black so its nice and subtle.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
this is really starting to bug me now. the ebay auction for the performance one ended in tatters as it sold for short of 400 quid once you put the p+p on.

anyways moving swiftly on, i took a look on euro car parts, put me reg in and it comes up with 400 quid excluding the csc, which aint too bad i can get a brand new one for 30 quid.

but, out of curiosity i typed in an alternative reg of a gt tdi 130, which was made in 2003. now to my understanding all golf diesels changed over to PD engines after early 2001. but ECP's website says i can buy a solid flywheel conversion for that car for 193 quid even tho it runs the same engine and gearbox as mine [:(].

so did vw change the gearbox or starter or something, which changed the configuration of the flywheel setup, the main thing it bein 228mm in diameter rather than 240mm which it is on my motor?

if anyone wants to have a geek for me my reg is Y527UDT, it will come up as a 115bhp version but it has been converted to ASZ engine [H]. if someone could shed some light on this because i might just order the one that ity says on there website and if it is the wrong one, which im 99% sure it is try and get the one for my car for the same price as a compensation for bad customer sevice ha. x

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
well, i had a radical thought today. i have 2 flywheels lying about, one which is completely nakered being that the centre bearing where the main shaft sits has failed, but the other isnt too bad, little bit of play but id say id get away with it for couple of thousand miles.

but, what if i took it to some engineer and asked if he could weld the 2 parts of the DMF together and in theory make a solid flywheel. that would work no problem wouldnt it?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts