Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Has anybody had any experience in altering the steering firmness of their MK5 Golf?

Apparently, there are 6 settings, at 1 end of the spectrum there's the "mobility setting" which is easy to move with maximum steering assist, at the other end is "GTi", which is much firmer, with less assist and gives better feedback from the wheel. I believe that the GT models are set 1 level below GTi, but I'd like to go for the full monty.

The setting can be amended via VAG-COM, but for the life of me, I don't fancy shelling out ?280 for VAG COM with the CAN cable!

Can anybody help? I'm located East-Midlands, near Northampton.

Cheers,

Damian

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Never heard of this.

Is it possible you are thinking about automatic steering weight adjustment? That is, steering assistance light in town at low speed but more weighty when moving faster?

Why do you want to change it anyway? I think the steering in the Golf is nicely weighted.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Yes you can change the steering assist.

Fire up VAG-COM,

[Select]
[44 - Steering Assist] (from Chassis tab)
[Recode - 07]

Take note of the value which is in the form 0001x1 where x is the weight setting, eg 000121
If x is set to 1, it will be very light, if it is set to 5 it will be heavy
Replace the number with the required weight, eg 000151

·
Registered
204 Posts
So If you have firmer steering, will you also get the improved
feedback? I would imagine so. Assuming you changed this, what is likely
to be different in the steering between a normal golf and a GTI? I'd
love a little bit more feedback[:)]

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
If anyone in the Midlands wants it done, I have VAG-COM.  In fact I might go and put my GTI to the lighest setting to see how it behaves.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Chaps,

Done it, tried Autohaus in Kettering but they wouldn't do it. Called Jon @ Vagtech in Leighton Buzzard, he said "no problem", ?25, done in 5 minutes! Best ?25 I've ever spent! www.vagtech.co.uk

Was surprised though that the car was set at level 2 (level 1 is set for mobility drivers!), but now it's set at level 6! Boy, can you tell the difference, the car feels much more connected with the road.

I've got to say that IMHO this is the best mod (apart from a remap) that you can do to your Golf, if you're a sporty driver. Setting 6 is damned firm, and may even be too much for some, so 4, 5 or 6 are the ones to go for. Also, Jon @ Vagtech let me try the setting before I left the w/shop. So if you have the job done, you'll be able to get it set "just right".

Have fun!

·
Registered
204 Posts
That sounds fantastic! I cant believe you were set at 2! I wonder if
many cars are set like this. Does anyone know where I could get this
done in the Glasgow area? Any places (apart from Dealers) which can do
it?

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Same here - looks like this will be my next mod. Anyone know of anyone in Lincolnshire or East Yorkshire who can do this?

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
If anyone in the Midlands wants it done, I have VAG-COM. In fact I might go and put my GTI to the lighest setting to see how it behaves.
Just a quick note for the uninformed... You need the full version of vag-com to make this adjustment = vag-com + official CAN cable. Then it's just a matter of navigating a few menu's and s electing the req'd setting from the on-screen list. Didn't see Jon fiddling with any bits of code as per an earlier suggestion, it was all done with the click of an on-screen button.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Just a quick note for the uninformed... You need the full version of vag-com to make this adjustment = vag-com + official CAN cable. Then it's just a matter of navigating a few menu's and s electing the req'd setting from the on-screen list. Didn't see Jon fiddling with any bits of code as per an earlier suggestion, it was all done with the click of an on-screen button.
Is there anyone in the North East who would be able to do this for me?

Thanks

·
Registered
779 Posts
Me wants 6,just phoned awesome and they have never heard of this,but said they would look into it and  bet back to me..

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Me wants 6,just phoned awesome and they have never heard of this,but said they would look into it and bet back to me..
One thing to consider, TDI's are heavier at the front than GTI's...... Heavier car with less steering assist = heavy steering.

For those of you with weedy girl arms (if you're a girl for example), 6 might be a bit on the firm side. I'm ok, however as I have the physique of Atlas. [:D]

[<:eek:)] Do I get a prize for discovering/popularising a mod that's actually worth doing?

Damian

p.s Car's in today to have the cylinder head checked & probably replaced. Cold start problems that I've had for the past 8 months would seem to be down to a porous cylinder head.

They've given me a Golf Plus 1.9 TDI as a courtesy car, and it's a shockingly pointless vehicle! The plastic steering wheel feels like a kid's toy, the seating position is awful and the boot seems no bigger than the standard Golf. Engine seems so lacklustre after driving mine, and the steering seems somehow very light too! Why the hell VW ever released the Golf Plus is anybody's guess... Golf -> Touran makes sense. Golf -> Golf Plus -> Touran seems pointless, and will seem even more pointless if & when they release a MK5 estate (that's going to be some butt ugly car though!)

·
Registered
471 Posts
They've given me a Golf Plus 1.9 TDI as a courtesy car, and it's a shockingly pointless vehicle! The plastic steering wheel feels like a kid's toy, the seating position is awful and the boot seems no bigger than the standard Golf. Engine seems so lacklustre after driving mine, and the steering seems somehow very light too! Why the hell VW ever released the Golf Plus is anybody's guess... Golf -> Touran makes sense. Golf -> Golf Plus -> Touran seems pointless, and will seem even more pointless if & when they release a MK5 estate (that's going to be some butt ugly car though!)
A little OT... but Renault released the Modus, which I thought was a nonsensical vehicle (alright, it's a bit bigger than a Megane... but a bit smaller than a normal Scenic... and it's more expensive than the Megane... why?) but that seems to be selling well in the Continent (I've only seen maybe 4 here). Presumably the Golf Plus is for that Euro driver who wants a Golf... just a little bit bigger [;)]
Maybe all those people who used to have Mk1s and Mk2s and thought of them fondly, now have a family but still want a Golf?

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Anyone that wants it done free who passes Warwick, just PM me, although I am away all next week snowboarding again..
Hi Milkfloat,

Did you set your GTI to 1 yet?

Gotta love that mobility feel..... [&][}]

1 - 20 of 42 Posts