Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a Alpine 9812 Rb unit off the bay..

Right now i plug in the two standard connectors to my Golf, and the unit refuses to power up until i plug in the antenna lead...So now when i plug that in it keeps turning on and off and on and off itself?? Is this because some wiring is loose?

It has a black wire from the connectors which i've checked as the Ground wire.. does this HAVE to be grounded somwhere for the unit to work as normal or is this issue something else? If so, whereabouts can i ground the wire to?

Thanks a lot in advance!!

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
The unit is probably only turning on when the antenna is plugged in because it is grounding itself through that - not good! Yes the ground from the back of the radio MUST go to ground - if there's power going into the unit then it will find the lowest path of resistance to ground - in this instance because gorund isnt plugged in, through the aerial.

There should be a ground wire coming from the car in the ISO block - so check the connections in the ISO block to make sure the power, switched live, and ground are all correct - that should solve your problem.

Andy [:)]

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Also there is a second power lead from those units (I have the next model up) it sould be a yellow wire with a grey box attatched to it, this is another 12v live which needs to be connected (I used the fuse box under the dash)

·
Super Moderator
50,205 Posts
Also there is a second power lead from those units (I have the next model up) it sould be a yellow wire with a grey box attatched to it, this is another 12v live which needs to be connected (I used the fuse box under the dash)
You can however use the ISO loom at the back of the radio for this as well,these cars must have the thickest ever permanent live feeds to them,the two red/whites together can easily provide more than enough current for even the highest powered head units.

Chris.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Damn.... after I messed about connecting it seperately.... doh. was a while ago though, so in future you would join this lead to the other permanent power lead then?

·
Super Moderator
50,205 Posts
Damn.... after I messed about connecting it seperately.... doh. was a while ago though, so in future you would join this lead to the other permanent power lead then?
Golfs (and some other VAG cars) are about the only ones with thick enough wires already there.But if you're not using the speaker outputs and are amping everything externally to the head unit,it'll draw next to no current anyway.

Chris.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
How do i find out with lead from the VW plugs is the ground wire , and whats the best way of connecting the black lead from the alpine to it?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Alright mate , i had the 9813r model alpine, and when i fitted to my bora i just used a multi meter to find the earth, snipped it and bullet connected them with aircraft connectors and heat sranked them for insulation. The only problem is when i fitted my new alpine head unit i had to cut the earth form the new stereo' iso and do the same again. small price to pay. If you go to the alpine europe website you can download the manual with wiring diagram and solutions in the back form there. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Oh right ok, so i don't need to connect it through the plugs, i can just splice it outside of it. Aren't all the plugs and colours going to be 1 standard colour for all the Golf ISO plugs .. if thats the case i don't suppose u remember which colour the ground wire was do u ? I just don't have access to a multimeter at home.

Thanks

·
Registered
36 Posts
Right mate what i'll do i pull my unit out tommorrow and have a look, still at work at the mo and then bed all day :), a bora and a golf should be the same. Check the manual reference the power lead hook up with the extra grey box, because in my lupo when i wired it in i just swapped the connectors around. And it worked fine. Hope this helps bud.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Okay great! Otherwise its a trip to the car stereo shop to wire it properly.. I just don't want to blow anything up! It's funny these alpines come with a lot more wires for some reason. On my previous car I bought a brand new Pioneer unit and it clipped straight into the ISO's and worked perfect even though it was a 96 BMW.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Its just earlier alpine head units, mine lasted for about 5 yrs till the mx button bust, so i fitted it to my girlfriends golk mk2 and bought myself a new alpine. If you have an ipod, the alpine ipod link does work with the 9812 and 13 , just a thought for ya . Yeah fitting these alpines is like a breeze block and a letter box with all those wires. Hang slack for a reply on the wire question mate, i'll be sleeping off nites in about an hour.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yeah actually i did buy it with the intention of fitting the ipod to it somehow. Mostly it was because my mate kept going on about how great these units are in terms of sound quality, reliability and features. Funny thing is this has 3 pre-outs and i was checking most of the new Alpines out and they have 1 or maybe 2 only. Look forward to seeing the pics, really can't wait to put the unit in with the new sub :)

·
Super Moderator
50,205 Posts
The ground wire in your cars loom is the solid brown next to the thick red/white,you can cut it off and put a male bullet connector on it,you can also do the same with the red/white permanent live (but with a female crimp),you really only need to use one of them.Or you could buy an Autoleads PC2-69-4 to plug into your cars loom to avoid cutting it,and connect your Alpines loom to this.

Chris.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
http://www.lowcostcaraudio.co.uk/images/products/standard/1552.jpg[/img[/URL]]

right ok so its this one, looks liek the same connector i got behind the alpine except for the blue wire, im assuming thats for the ground right .

·
Registered
36 Posts
I had a look mate and it is the solid brown wire, you could buy that adapter but, thats more leads you have to stuff behind the headunit. I seem to remember that the power lead with the fuse box on it the bullet connectors can be switched around so the power works ok, i.e the unit turns off and on with the ignition. sorry i didn't reply last nite works comp would load the forum up, i'll but some pictures up on friday when i'm off. Hope this helps.

·
Super Moderator
50,205 Posts
http://www.lowcostcaraudio.co.uk/images/products/standard/1552.jpg[/img[/URL]]

right ok so its this one, looks liek the same connector i got behind the alpine except for the blue wire, im assuming thats for the ground right .
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO the blue wire is the remote switch on wire for the aerial or external amplifiers,solid black is always ground in ISO looms,and solid brown in German cars.

Chris.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts