Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
That looks like just the kind of thing I've been waiting for!  I can't find it on the alpine-europe website though so it must be really new. 

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I emailed CarAudio Security. They're taking orders for end of march delivery. ?700. Im getting superchipped this week so it will have to wait until next pay day I think.

·
Registered
109 Posts
The Alpine is nowhere near as good as the Kenwood, I've got 1 on display where I work and it wont match in at all, The main screen sticks out a good inch from the back and looks terrible, I wanted one for my MK4 but as soon as I saw it I opted for the DDX-6027 Kenwood instead.

Just my opinion guy's.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Might have to go and see one somewhere. It beats the Kenwood for features and I never liked the Kenwoods GUI.

·
Registered
8 Posts
JMcQueen,

If you get to see an Alpine in the flesh, would you please post your thoughts. I'm also thinking about getting a double din unit and would value the opinion of someone who's had a chance to see one for real.

Due to get my mk5 GTi in May and really want to have something on the shelf ready to replace the lame RCD300 unit that'll come with.

At this point I can't decide which way to go... part of me wants to retro-fit an MFD2 but I really just don't need Sat Nav that bad, and due to it's lack of mp3 support, I'm finding it hard to justify going that route. Or I could just move over my existing JVC single din unit as I already have a denison ice-link/ipod setup, but the spender in me wants to have a nice new headunit for a nice new car. I'm thinking a double din unit would keep things closer to the original look and feel, which to me is also quite important - but not as much as the ability to play mp3's.

Do you have any views on the double din Kenwoods? Are there any other makes & models about? I see the Japanese market has shedloads but I really don't want to start importing a unit and having to muck about getting it working for over here.

I gotta get off the fence soon, I'm getting way too many splinters...

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The Kenwoods are very good units and can be had for quite a reasonable price if you shop around. But the Alpine has a better (IMO) user interface than the Kenwoods and is also better equipped with things like the pulse touch screen and the ability to connect directly to an Ipod without the need for a connector box or anything which means its possibly also cheaper when system building. I could probably live with it not being a flush fit and I've long held Alpine head units in high regard. But Im not planning on having it all fitted until June when I can take some time off work.

If I do get to see one before buying I'll let you know.

·
Registered
76 Posts
iv been whatching the Alpine IVA-W200Ri on the USA web site since it came out about six months ago now and not knowing until this month until it was being released in this country i brought a kenwood instead!
now like many others i normaly only have alpine head units but as i couldnt wait i got a kenwood DDX-6027 which normaly retails for ?1200 i got for under ?650.

the interface is quite good it does have pulse touch screen and does connect to an Ipod which is all i use! unless my daughter is in the car and she watches a DVD from the rear screen while i listern to music.
as for flush fit a head unit be it what ever make can be made to flush fit to what ever surface you want! you just have to adjust the mounting cage it fits into!
the kenwood does all of what i want a head unit to do it plays DVD's CD's has an Ipod connector and yes you do need the KCA-IP500 to connect it to and before you say the Alpine IVA-W200Ri is the first alpine head unit that doesnt need a box to connect an Ipod so its no biggy to fit one expecialy if your gona be spending over ?700 anyway?

the only grip i have with the Kenwood is you cant insert your own background or screen saver ( i am onto kenwood about this) and you cant lock the head unit if your vehicle goes for a service but it has user interface keycodes i just take a fuse out when it goes for a service.

anyway if any of you want more info just ask

and just to put the record strait i would of bought the Alpine if it was avalible.

cheers

N

·
Registered
8 Posts
newbi,

Can you tell me what facia adapter you used when fitting the Kenwood? Is there a proper double din facia adapter out there? I remember seeing some adapters which allow for one or two din units where blanking plates could be removed, but wasn't sure if those left a kind of spacer bar between the top and bottom holes and so maybe weren't true double din adapters.

I'm definately going for either the Alpine or Kenwood (once I've seen both in the flesh) and it'd be helpful to know in advance what else is needed to get either installed and looking tidy in the dash.

Also, is there any chance you have a pic or two of the Kenwood installed? Can't seem to find anything on the net that isn't a stock photo of the unit and it'd be great to see it in situ in the dash of a mk5.

·
Registered
76 Posts
the facia adapter i used was from the MkV Golf/Toran which my car stereo dealer had a good supply off.

they said they get them strait from VW for retro fitting aftermarket Head Units to new cars!!!

anyway here's some picys and the adapter i used is the same one you will need to use when you remove your Factory H/U

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

·
Registered
221 Posts
Guys i was in a very similar box to u, and had decided on the kenwood ddx-7025 (main difference between the ddx 60 is multi regional dvd), u might wanna check out my thread as pioneer, have jus launched their double din unit which wipes the floor with both kenwood and alpines versions, and also has a bigger screen! those of u who havent purchased dont rush into anything just yet!!

http://www.uk-mkivs.net/forums/thread/542116.aspx

·
Registered
76 Posts
cheers ScarfaceV6

i think youv just confused a whole lot of people!!!lol

anyway you make your choice and you pay your money, iv had my install for over two months now and i havent looked back!

yes the pioneer has HDD and TMC built in but you can add TMC to any ohter head unit and if you take my 60Gb Ipod my kenwood has got a built in HDD aswell! and more music storage ( but that a debate for another time)

but in the end its not what you want its what your willing to pay?

just my opinion.

N

·
Registered
221 Posts
Mate when this got posted today it confused me so much im now in limbo! I love the look of the kenwood the red and blue lights , everything, but now theres a new player on the pitch, but not in any stores to have a look at yet to compare! cheers newbi

·
Registered
132 Posts
Woah that new Pioneer unit looks ideal! Problem is it also looks expensive. Any ideas how much that is going to retail at?

I was going to go for the Alpine W200Ri with the bluetooth add on, but might wait for the Pioneer now since bluetooth is built in.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The suggested price for the Pioneer is likely to be around ?1600 to ?2000 which is stupidly high. I got stung on the AVIC-X1 when it came out, paid ?1600 for it and then six months later it was available for ?850. Never again. Think its going to be the Alpine for me, mainly because I want to attach it to a PXA-H701

1 - 20 of 48 Posts