Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
saw one of these on the road thursday, in black and was absolutly stunning, an eye catcher for sure

Posted Image

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
Am I the only person that doesn't like the Brera?  Having seen a few on the road the rear seems really big and ugly.  If I really had to have an Alfa it would have to be the 147 GTA.

·
Registered
5,416 Posts
Am I the only person that doesn't like the Brera? Having seen a few on the road the rear seems really big and ugly. If I really had to have an Alfa it would have to be the 147 GTA.
I love the noise the 147 GTA produces and the quad pipes at the back [:)]

Sat [y]

·
Registered
4,686 Posts
Love the nose, don't like the ar$e...
By all accounts the driving experience on all models is sorely lacking. Needs a nice big petrol in there that sounds lovely...

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
the 3.2 v6 sounds nice but it doesnt make me smile when i listened to it.   i wouldnt mind owning one thou, i agree the arse is a bit dawn french but its still a lovely looking car, even if the door handles and all sorts will fall off

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Alfa's dont do it for me, i just dont like them, even the brera with its beautiful lines wouldnt get me to buy one, and have you seen the price of them.....

complete rip off if you ask me, so many better, more reliable cars for the cash!

2p^^

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Am I the only person that doesn't like the Brera? Having seen a few on the road the rear seems really big and ugly. If I really had to have an Alfa it would have to be the 147 GTA.

Sat [y]
I dont think the standard 147 GTA's come with quad tailpipes, if you saw one with 4 tailpipes it was more likely the Alfa racing hybrid version, which is a very expensive 3.7 race tuned version

www.autodelta.co.uk

now you are talking silly money!

[:p]

·
Registered
6,213 Posts
I still dont think Alfa have cracked it in terms of reliable and well built cars. Plus they have a terrible dealer network and poor customer satisfaction records.

Anyone who buys a car with their heart not their heads is a fool. Yes, it may look superb from some angles, but its still alot of money for a car that could probably be spent elsewhere. Maybe the Japs or Germans cant do as much style, but 25odd K of sexy isnt worth a wank when it spends weeks at the dealers with grease monkeys crawling over your cream leather, especially considering the competition out there.

My mortgage advisor has just bought a 159. How I laughed. He loves it. I'd put a tenner on that he doesnt buy another one...

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
my mate still has his 156 GTA, gearbox fell out at 18k [:D]

He has had so many problems they sent him ?500.00 cash for his trouble and vouchers for ?2k off a new car!

Believe it or not he knows so little about cars...... hes thinking of buying another Alfa, which I find p*ss funny!

I am a firm believer that you should let your feet do the talking when things dont go right with a car, I started to get annoyed with the VW dealers near me (although I have found a good one now) this was one of the reasons my new car is an Audi....

·
Registered
5,416 Posts

Sat [y]
I dont think the standard 147 GTA's come with quad tailpipes, if you saw one with 4 tailpipes it was more likely the Alfa racing hybrid version, which is a very expensive 3.7 race tuned version

www.autodelta.co.uk

now you are talking silly money!

[:p]
This is the one that i saw and it sounded beautifull.. maybe the price tag counts lol

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
i think a conclusion on this is (if only it was made by vw/audi etc)

btw married blonde[:$] i mean alfa not alpha! well spotted

·
Registered
890 Posts
Quite a fan of alfas - was seriously considering a derv 147 before i got the mkIV, and was only put off by the wheels on the pre-owned model i was looking at. As said above they make an excellent used buy, think that un i looked at was top of the range with all extras and had lost about ?6k in 12 months. Reliability is an issue thats well talked about with alfas, but i think you can be lucky/unlucky with any brand these days.

Love the GT, Brera and 159 - especially the estate version - reminds me of the old Aston Martin shooting brakes from the mid-90's!!

[:D]

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
No, I hate the Brera and and other Alfa for that matter. Ugly cars, the lot of them and notorious for being absolute junk. A few of my colleagues have had them and the list of problems they had with them is untrue. How does a full set of bushes on a 147 at 2.5 years old grab you?!

·
Registered
6,213 Posts
Catch 22

You wouldnt buy an Alfa new because of the depreciation (the thinking man wouldnt). Yet you wouldnt buy one out of warranty for fear of never ending bills and workshop visits.

If you want sexy Italian on a budget and want to brag about a Mini Ferrari down the pub, buy an old Coupe 20v turbo as a second car for the weekend, and use the other 20k odd to get a 1-2 year old BMW/Audi or something for the week

The 166 was a good example. Even people with too much money still have sense...

Generally...

·
Registered
59 Posts
I've had a 156 - JTD 2.4 20v. Bought at 3 months old for 16k with dual climate, leather, parking sensors, the works. Ran it for 14k miles, in which time it only went to the garage once for an annual service. 40mpg, 175bhp, nippy. Not as good a car as my BMW that preceeded it - in fact, often compared it to my mk4 Golf for driving. But it had character by the spadeful. For that reason I will one day have another - although probably for the weekend fun car.

Don't knock it till you've tried it!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts