Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
would there be a huge drop in fuel economy if I changed my 16" BBS(GTI wheels) to 17" or 18" RS4 alloys?

Thanks

·
Registered
895 Posts
would there be a huge drop in fuel economy if I changed my 16" BBS(GTI wheels) to 17" or 18" RS4 alloys?

Thanks
Don't think there is a huge difference as the overall diametre of the wheel remains the same. However, bigger rims on cars may cause you to drive a little bit differently and therefore might affect your consumption.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Only thing that might affect it is the width of the tyre. Wider tyres causing slightly more friction on the road.

My 1.8T will still manage apporx 39mpg on a long run which has got 18's with 225/40ZR18 tyres

·
Super Moderator
3,497 Posts
As well as the wider tyre, there is the extra metal of a larger wheel that will also affect performance and economy.
This is made worse still with cheap replica wheels that use cheaper heavier metals.

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
I have to agree with coullstar. Any change is not going to be noticable. You might pay ?1 per 1K miles or something. The cool factor alone means it a must do mod

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Only thing that might affect it is the width of the tyre. Wider tyres causing slightly more friction on the road.

My 1.8T will still manage apporx 39mpg on a long run which has got 18's with 225/40ZR18 tyres
Sorry, can't believe that.

My economy dropped by 4-5mpg on every single gallon when using 18" Alloys with 225/40 tyres as apposed to using the 16" lightweight alloys that came with the car.

It does add up and you DO get a drop. I read just earlier that ctp lost 10mpg with his wheels, which is perfectly believeable if you ask me. Steering also get's a little heavier as you are moving more.

·
Registered
3,956 Posts
The difference will be quite dramatic.

Not only will you get reduced mpg, your will not be quite as nippy.

This is due to a higher rotaional mass as, as said above, you are replacing air with alloy; air IS lighter than alloy [:p]

The plus side though is obviously that your car look lots better and will handle much much better.

Be warned about the drop in mpg, it really is noticable. I ran my 17" RS4's for a little over 20k and lost on average over that 20k, about 8mpg.

·
Registered
6,881 Posts

This is due to a higher rotaional mass as, as said above, you are replacing air with alloy; air IS lighter than alloy [:p]

The plus side though is obviously that your car look lots better and will handle much much better.

Be warned about the drop in mpg, it really is noticable. I ran my 17" RS4's for a little over 20k and lost on average over that 20k, about 8mpg.
Yer, like I said, steerings heavier, not quite as responsive. When you put the 16's back on though it's like a go kart, feels faster and more MPG.

So it's worth putting larger wheels on just so you can take them off again a couple of months later and be faced with a faster car and improved MPG that handles better! [:D]

·
Registered
650 Posts
Yes it's true  that smaller lighter wheels give better performance possibly better fuel consumption , but not enough to justify all the recent nonsence on here.I have had four different sets of replica wheels on in the last 2 years 17- 19s .Yes there is a noticable difference  in handling especially with the 19s(not enough to make me want to put the standard rollerskate wheels back on) but I have never noticed any difference in fuel consumption and I think you would need to let your tyres down to get 5mpg  less.

·
Registered
3,956 Posts
I have never noticed any difference in fuel consumption and I think you would need to let your tyres down to get 5mpg less.
You obviously have not been paying any attention to your fuel consumption.

It is not nonence.

·
Registered
6,626 Posts

Yer, like I said, steerings heavier, not quite as responsive. When you put the 16's back on though it's like a go kart, feels faster and more MPG.

So it's worth putting larger wheels on just so you can take them off again a couple of months later and be faced with a faster car and improved MPG that handles better! [:D]
This is exactly why I didn't want to go to 18s when I decided to upgrade from steelies. I spent ages looking into different wheels. Steering response is sharper but acceleration is slightly down. Mr Revo fixed that one for me though [:D]

Fuel economy is also definitely poorer no matter how I drive, and I do know how to drive economically (got 605 miles out of work's 1.9 TD Renault Lagnuna estate on 55 litres, same capacity as a MkIV)

·
Registered
650 Posts
Ok to convince me , why doesn't someone compare the fuel figures VW quote for GTI 180 AUQ (16 wheels and tyres ) and Annie GTI 180 AUQ (18s).Still think you would need to have wheels made from melted down gold bars to have a 5-8 mpg difference.

·
Registered
3,956 Posts
Think what you like.

It is a fact that heavier and wider wheels will reduce your mpg.

The BBS's on the Anni may not be much heavier than the stock items btw.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Yes - fitting larger wheels DOES make quite a large difference to fuel economy.

When I first got my Bora - I managed 470miles out of a tank - few weeks later that dropped to around 420 miles after I fitted my 18s & lowered it!!!

Its a simple fact really - the engine needs to work that little bit harder to move heavier objects - similar 2 if you physically pick up both the wheels in turn - you'll use more energy picking up the the heavier one - engine works the same!!

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Ok to convince me , why doesn't someone compare the fuel figures VW quote for GTI 180 AUQ (16 wheels and tyres ) and Annie GTI 180 AUQ (18s).Still think you would need to have wheels made from melted down gold bars to have a 5-8 mpg difference.
Oh sorry sir, your right were all wrong who have been there done that.

Surely it's basic common sense that you will lose MPG if you put heavier, wider wheels on yoru car. Your causing more friction. Therefore, the engine has to work harder, therefore losing MPG.

If you lose MPG by having your windows open on the motorway as you are creating a vacumn with the air coming in hitting your rear and slowing you down very slightly, then I assure you, you lose MPG with big wheels.

Myself and CTP are saying this from experience, not just making it up.

5mpg is not a lot to lose. You can do that with ONE single blast up a decent hill.

It all depends obviously on 2 things. The actual weight of the wheels your putting on and your tyres.

·
Registered
377 Posts
The big question here, though, is GT_TDi_150 looking at genuine RS4 rims are replicas?

The main point to consider, is the extra UNSPRUNG weight of the rims. The extra weight on the hubs (from the wheels in this case), has much more of an effect on a cars performance, handling & MPG here, than it does if that extra weight were to be in the boot, for example. Those replica's weigh a hell of a lot more than the 18" BBS RC's which come in at around 18.5 kg's (with tyres), per corner, compared to the 16.5 kg's (with tyres) per corner of the 16" BBS Montreal 2's. Those reps weigh between 26-28 kg's a corner. That is a BIG increase with regards to UNSPRUNG weight, which will decrease the performance, handling & MPG of the car.

You may get extra grip with the wider tyres on the 18's, but the car is def not as 'chuckable' around the bends as it is when on the 16's. The 16's & 205 55's don't seem to be thrown off course as much as the 225 40 18's on bumpy B roads, either.

Also don't forget the extra drag that is created by the wider wheels/tyres.

I don't think they're would be a big difference with this example (maybe 1 or 2 MPG), but compared to using reps, then that's a comparison I would like to see.....

·
Registered
730 Posts
GOD ALMIGHTY! why the hell worry about getting less mpg when you are going to pay anything upto ?1000 for alloys and tyres???  Just fit the the new alloys and be done with and forget about fuel cost's,  if you people are so worried about losing mpg then don't even consider doing any modification to your car... in which case what are you doing on this website???

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
GOD ALMIGHTY! why the hell worry about getting less mpg when you are going to pay anything upto ?1000 for alloys and tyres??? Just fit the the new alloys and be done with and forget about fuel cost's, if you people are so worried about losing mpg then don't even consider doing any modification to your car... in which case what are you doing on this website???
Thats helpful.

·
Registered
650 Posts
In my first reply I admited there is a difference in performance and possibly mpg but IMO 5-8 mpg (25-30%) could be down to other factors, driving more aggressivly etc.The point I was trying to make was if there was any significant difference in 16s to 18s (even 1-2 mpg) then VW would have to print it.There are many different companies making replica wheels varying in quality and i'm sure weight.And my last atempt on some humour- maybe it's when your towing your caravan your getting a difference of 5-8 mpg[:D]

1 - 20 of 35 Posts