Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

can anyone recommend a decent alloy wheel cleaner i have not been able to get to wash the car for a few weeks and once i did i found the usual wheels cleaning products dont work i need something a bit stronger i have tried the usual autoglym and simoniz ones with no luck

Cheers

Image2000uk

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
cheers for the heads up squky clean will give that one a try

Someone did suggest trying TFR neat on really bad wheels but i have my doubts on this one will i have any paint left on the wheels afterwards ??????

Cheers Guys for the suggestions

·
Registered
646 Posts
I currently have wonderwheels in a spray bottle. do it twice and leave and wheels come super clean.

Would only try this on p[ainted wheels however, oh and buy for a few quid for 5 litres at costco. Bargain [;)]

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
Agree with Irish, MC2 works wonders and is free from all the harsh chemical associated with many alloy wheel cleaners.

·
Registered
3,596 Posts
Quote: posted by Image2000uk on 16/12/2004 22:09:06

Someone did suggest trying TFR neat on really bad wheels but i have my doubts on this one will i have any paint left on the wheels afterwards ??????

TFR NEAT !!! It snot the paint Id worry about, more , would you have any wheels left to clean after it had disolved them[:O]

That stuff is evil & really should only be used as a last resort in my eyes[:)]

Get the Hotrims & have zero worries [^]

·
Registered
10,630 Posts

I've been using TFR - (diluted) to clean my wheels for the last 2 years, and I've never ever had any problem.

Admittedly I clean my wheels atleast once a week, or maybe once a fortnight at worst.

But seriously, I've not found any problems whatsoever. I'm sure other forum members can vouch for my wheels, as seen at local meets.

As with any wheel cleaner,

- spray the wheel with water first (helps dilute the solution)

- make sure the wheel cleaner is diluted enough in the first place, add water if nessecary (strong solutions will damage paint finishes on wheels)

- wash one wheel at a time - dont be silly in spraying all 4 wheels at once and therefore prelonging the length of time that the solution stays on the wheels

- use a bucket of hot water, with various sponges/brushes - hot water shifts dirt better, aswell as keeping your hands from freezing in winter.

·
Registered
10,630 Posts
Quote: posted by tylerama on 17/12/2004 10:56:50

What's TFR, btw.. or am I just bein really fick ? [:I]

Dan, TFR = Traffic Film Remover

It's a liquid used by commercial side of car cleaning. It will be used by car valeters, automatic car wash machines, jet wash machines etc.

When it's sold, it's often sold NEAT or highly CONCENTRATED. It's down to the user to DILUTE it down to suitable levels. It's not dangerous stuff, It's just down to the USER to use their COMMON sense!

Just use it sensibly

Like I've said, I've been using it for 2 years to clean my wheels, wheel arches, springs and shocks. in that time nothing had faded, nothing has corroded, infact everything is so shiny you will be shocked.

·
Registered
3,596 Posts
Quote: posted by tylerama on 17/12/2004 10:56:50

What's TFR, btw.. or am I just bein really fick ? [:I]

[:D] YEP ..LOL

·
Registered
424 Posts
Autoglym do a non caustic t.f.r called multiwash, this will NOT damadge wheels, even used neat....Its the truckwash, or p/max ones that are the caustic ones......

Jace: Multiwash (t.f.r) will not harm wheels or paintwork, its probely less agresive than the wheel cleaner you are using...

·
Registered
294 Posts

Just out of interest... has anyone used this stuff from day one on the Anni wheels??? if so any of the notorious corrosion???

·
Registered
565 Posts
Quote: posted by Irish on 17/12/2004 03:37:14

MC2. Better than anything you will buy. Cleans alloys so well you could eat your dinner off them.

The business. Don't get anything else. Smells great too!

1 - 20 of 57 Posts