Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondered if anyone is using one of these? I'm thinking of going for the AM04 charger but think I should get the IC sorted first... Jabba are making FMIC now but there the thick end of 700 quid (795inc)... I'd like to fabricate my own but time is not on my side...

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Aha! just spoke to Allard and Bill is the man to speak to! Must be his old MK4 on their website...?

·
Registered
680 Posts
Aha! just spoke to Allard and Bill is the man to speak to! Must be his old MK4 on their website...?
LOL referring to me? (confused)

Lloyd made mine yes for my old mk4, now Matts mk4. large FMIC.

Given Lloyd Allard made it he should really answer the question. (maybe its not in production?)

Forge also do a nice FMIC kit too.(which is in production)

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Given Lloyd Allard made it he should really answer the question. (maybe its not in production?)

Aha!! yes Bill! everywhere I go at the moment all I hear is Brembo Bill!! LOL! AmD, Allard, AM Motorsport.....! Your a popular fella!! LOL! maybe I should just bring my car to you and get it all done in one hit!!!

Thing is when I spoke to Lloyd he said that it wasn't in production but he can still make it and if I spoke to you you might have a few logs or onfo on it..ie will it work well with a KO3S (until I go bigger) temp drops etc...

have you seen Jabba's FMIC?

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hmmm yeah seems it is that one... just spoken to them... very true what they are saying about the core being vertical every pipe goes past the opening in the front bumper where as horizontal cores only the bottom part of the core is exposed... aslo Allard said that thin IC are good as its the surface area that makes them efficent not the thickness.. ie PD150 thin but huge! hmmmm.. descision descisions!

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
The idea of the Pro Sport is good though, a vertical core design has
many nice, short runs which makes it very efficient and the extruded
core design is good, but I think the design of the end tanks let it
down and the core could be bigger. I would personally go with the
Allard one
over the Pro Sport kit as it
is a reasonable size core, the end tanks are a very good design,
allowing good distribution across the whole core and the pipe run is
short and efficient.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hmmm... yeah I would like to go with the Allard one... but... its freakin HUGE! I wont be going for the AM04 until new year so will a ko3s shift enough air to fill it?

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
The Allard core looks big due to the large surface area but the cubic capacity is very similar to the Forge core GaryM runs, so the Allard core will be fine with a K03S, you may notice a slight amount of lag over the factory SMIC, but nothing too serious as the pipe run is actually shorter than the OEM setup.  The benefits of a stronger top end due to less timing pull far outweigh the slight lag you may experience, Lloyd does say the kit is fine for cars on a standard turbo and big turbo applications.

·
Registered
680 Posts

Aha!! yes Bill! everywhere I go at the moment all I hear is Brembo Bill!! LOL! AmD, Allard, AM Motorsport.....! Your a popular fella!! LOL! maybe I should just bring my car to you and get it all done in one hit!!!

Thing is when I spoke to Lloyd he said that it wasn't in production but he can still make it and if I spoke to you you might have a few logs or onfo on it..ie will it work well with a KO3S (until I go bigger) temp drops etc...

have you seen Jabba's FMIC?
I did do logs on it yes, but whether these would be relevant to a non big arsed IHI turbo running high boost I am not sure. It did significantly improve temps on my mkiv, but given its sheer size and girth, it should have.

If you came to me for a FMIC you would get a Forge one. I have seen jabba's one yes, and its construction is well made by pro-alloy. I dont personally think that style of vertical core (like APR's and Forges original version for MK4), with short runners is going to heat exchange as well as a longer core would (say left to right, type cores) but vertical should have less pressure drop.. balancing act of specs.

Price was high for Lloyds, so has he quoted a price to you?

There have been some GB's running on Forge which might still be running on SCN.

regards

bill

·
I ain't no effin padawan
1,429 Posts
I think Forge did quite a nice job on this one

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Nice compromise of frontal area vs depth.

Buy a core, and some pipework and you could build your own, or contact forge about a custom one.

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
I think Forge did quite a nice job on this one

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Nice compromise of frontal area vs depth.

Buy a core, and some pipework and you could build your own, or contact forge about a custom one.
[Y]

Is that a custom forge core or is it available to buy?

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks fellas! now see that Forge core looks alright!! is that yours Wilko? I would be happy with that one! their current one on their web page looks a bit.... well just not upto the cash their asking for it...?

Bill not sure on a price from Lloyd as yet I have to mail him... roughly what was it? more than say 800?

·
Registered
680 Posts
Thanks fellas! now see that Forge core looks alright!! is that yours Wilko? I would be happy with that one! their current one on their web page looks a bit.... well just not upto the cash their asking for it...?

Bill not sure on a price from Lloyd as yet I have to mail him... roughly what was it? more than say 800?
I think ?800 was a number I can recall. best to call them as you say.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
We can do a real good deal on this for ? 480.00 + vat .The bumper will need to some cutting .

You can do this your self or come to Forge nad have it all done for ? 150.00 + vat

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
We can do a real good deal on this for ? 480.00 + vat .The bumper will need to some cutting .

You can do this your self or come to Forge nad have it all done for ? 150.00 + vat
I'm confused, what are these figures for? What does the ?480+vat include?

1 - 20 of 49 Posts