Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got a bill for a new MAF from VW for ?276.34. Not really that happy with it, especially as they had the car for a week before with the same problem which they diagnosed as a faulty vacumn hose (cost me ?106). I originally suggested it was a MAF failure after the 'tell-tale' symptoms appeared - but they chose to do the hose >:-(

I paid, but said I wanted to try to get VW to pay for it, dispite the car being out of warranty (2001) as it was a known problem part - like coil packs. I have still yet to go down and raise hell...

Should I pursue this further or just put up with it?

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
well, it seems as though you need to tell them they should be refunding you around ?200!

?100 for the hose that didn't need to be replaced and ?100 off the MAF which i think VW acknowledged was a fault and so offered exchange at between ?50-?100 depending on the engine.

the diesels got the cheapest price i believe.

·
Super Moderator
8,768 Posts
Outrageous. Surely, if you've taken the car in with a specific problem and they didn't rectify it by changing the hose then you should really have your money back? As for the MAF issue, did you get the part back? If not, they should have only charged for an exchange (@ ?70) for the part and labour on top of that.

·
Registered
161 Posts
It is correct about the ?70 ish exchange for a maf as i did mine only a couple of months ago. If it wasnt for this site i probably would of paid the full ?276.34! I take it that they didnt offer you the exchange??? I think that its well out of order that they charge you the full price.[}:)][}:)]

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm hearing you loud and clear, and feeling a bit of a mug really.

I'm going down Saturday.

I'll let youy know how I get on...

Thanks

·
Registered
336 Posts
my maf was 78 quid exchange from the vw dealer. god know why they charged that. go ballistic mate, obveously along the line the new introduction of the exchange maf is being read across. Poor stealer communication!!!

·
Registered
48 Posts
What are the symptoms of a faulty MAF cos my 1.8t has a slight hesitation and has slight flat spot thruogh the mid range?

Am i to suspect the MAF[?]

·
Registered
87 Posts
Quote: posted by Carlos on 12/01/2005 18:38:11

Don't VW offer a ?70 ish swapout deal now? Someone told me a while back.

My car is 2001, i got it last may, previous owner changed said part last march. I have his bill in the history and he did pay ?70 for it. Last september i had same fault and they changed it for free. Go play fek with em.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Quote: posted by Carlos on 12/01/2005 18:38:11

Don't VW offer a ?70 ish swapout deal now? Someone told me a while back.

My car is 2001, i got it last may, previous owner changed said part last march. I have his bill in the history and he did pay ?70 for it. Last september i had same fault and they changed it for free. Go play fek with em.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Quote: posted by swampdonkey on 14/01/2005 00:26:27

What are the symptoms of a faulty MAF cos my 1.8t has a slight hesitation and has slight flat spot thruogh the mid range?

Am i to suspect the MAF[?]

They were my symptoms. Sounds like you might be joining the club...

With that said it is definitely running better now.

·
Registered
50 Posts
?276???????!!!!!! RIP OFF mate i did mine last week for ?78 trade which is only 10% off rrp alledgedly on exchange. did you get your old maf back? you want to be going back to the stealers and removing fingers one after the other until you at the least get a refund of around ?120. tell them in saudi they`d get their bloody hands cut of for theft. cheeky beggars.[V]

·
Registered
100 Posts
Had a similar problem on our V5. Dealer diagnosed a faulty coolant temp sensor and replaced at around ?100 but the problem persisted. Dealer then diagnosed a faulty MAF but that came to around ?100 fitted as well. I moaned a bit and they knocked of 10%.

I still wasn't too happy because they hadn't resolved the problem in the first place but then I suppose it's entirely possible that both components were bad. I didn't pursue it any further as I was selling the car.

As topcat says, if you paid full price for the MAF, you are entitled to get your old one back as it's still your property. I can't really see the V6 MAF being any different from the V5 unit so it should have cost around ?80.

Dave

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
dlyall, your dealer charged you ?100 to fit a coolant sensor?

holy crap, i bought mine for my v5 from the dealer, got one of the techs to show me where the sensor was and then changed it at home in about 15mins!

it cost me a bottle of coolant to.

eek!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts