Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
18,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having been asked the question of how i did my all red's countless times,i thought a simple diy guide was in order.

Parts list

Std 1.4/1.6 rear lights

Sand paper various grades 100-1500

Tint spray (red) or colour of your choice

Stanley blades

Masking tape

First step is to decide if you want to keep the oem lettering and casting marks or not,i choose to get rid of them all.

To do this i had to use stanley blades to cut all the lettering off,the process is a right pita if i'm honest but once i'd started i had to carry on.

Once your happy that the letting is off it's time to get sanding,i started off with wet 100 grit to get rid of any remaining letters etc....at this point i noticed the lights have little lines between the colours and i wanted to get rid of them so kept sanding till smooth.Working through the grades to get the required finish,in total i'd say about 1 hour spent on each light.Keep sanding until your happy that all the scratch's from the rough grades have gone.

Mask off the top plastic sections of the lights so not to get any red spray on the black plastics.

Now it's time to paint,the tinting spray i used was basically a tinted lacquer so they wouldn't require a clear coat afterwards[Y]

Following the instructions on the can i gave one light a coat.

This was my first attempt,i wasn't happy with the scratch's that could be seen so stripped it all off withthinners and started again.

After getting the lights in a better condition i then sprayed them again,giving them 3 good coats leaving to dry for 15-20 mins between coats.Once dry give them a good polish and a few layers of wax.Fit and enjoy......

Here are the end results,not bad for cheap easy mod.

·
The Boss
1,864 Posts
Just did this last weekend, I think im going to have to get some of those eBay led orange indicators to be able to see the orange properly...

·
Registered
772 Posts
SWAMPY you will need resistor i believe mate as i had the LED indicator bulbs in couple of months back without the resister no fault raise but the flashing is to fast as by law it should only flash at a certain rate. Let us know which ones you go for and where you need to put the resisitor. As for the resistor value i am unsure on this. I am sure someone on here can shed light on that. Another how to guide would be good.

·
The Boss
1,864 Posts
SWAMPY you will need resistor i believe mate as i had the LED indicator bulbs in couple of months back without the resister no fault raise but the flashing is to fast as by law it should only flash at a certain rate. Let us know which ones you go for and where you need to put the resisitor. As for the resistor value i am unsure on this. I am sure someone on here can shed light on that. Another how to guide would be good.
i went for these ones, who knows what they are like.... needless to say i am ready to say - MY LIGHTS ARE COOL (check the listing, all will become clear)

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270591267946&ru=http%3A%2F%2Fshop.ebay.co.uk%3A80%2F%3F_from%3DR40%26_trksid%3Dm570%26_nkw%3D270591267946%26_fvi%3D1&_rdc=1

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Good write up, mine are all sprayed and led units arrived today so need to get on and finish mine now

·
Registered
772 Posts
Will be interesting to see how you guys get on with the LED idicator bulbs flash to fast, also the click sound inside the car goes very fast when the indicators are on. Let us know what LED bulbs you bought, what model Golf you have e.g. a 2003 TDI PD150 etc etc

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Will be interesting to see how you guys get on with the LED idicator bulbs flash to fast, also the click sound inside the car goes very fast when the indicators are on. Let us know what LED bulbs you bought, what model Golf you have e.g. a 2003 TDI PD150 etc etc
This is what you need mate, dont bother with the risistors they are fiddly and hard to fit.

function item() { [native code]...em&item=180531818850&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

·
The Boss
1,864 Posts
Dear woollardc,

Thanks for contacting mylitco,
simple solution to solve fast flashing problem will be fitting external load resistors. We supply them separately.
I will offer two option for you to choose:
1. We send a pair of load resistors to you FREE of charge.
2. We take this item back and do refund for you.
Regards,
Customer Service
www.mylitco.com

To: mylitco
Subject: woollardc sent a message about AMBER Signal Indicator LED Light Bulb 382 BA15S P21W UK #270591267946
Sent Date: 25-Feb-11 10:52:58 GMT

???????????????????????
???????????????????????
Dear mylitco,

Hello,
I fitted these last night and due to A lack of decent/any resistors these flash at an illegal speed. You say in your advert that these are a straight replacement but in fact, if I was to have these on my car for an MOT it would fail.
I haven't left feedback yet, I will await your response. I trust you will either amend your advert to say these are for show use only or propose a different solution.
Chris

- woollardc

·
The Boss
1,864 Posts
Sorry, on the iPhone and that didn't paste very well, if you read from the break in the middle first, and then read the first part it makes sense... That was the email exchange with the seller about the bulbs...

·
Registered
158 Posts
Would be up for doing this mod, would look cool on a red golf i think but worried about the colour of the indicator.... and the fiddling around with bulbs... any ideas?

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
This is what you need mate, dont bother with the risistors they are fiddly and hard to fit.

function item() { [native code]...em&item=180531818850&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT
lol dont but that resistor from the link above its the wrong one [facepalm]

I think the only way to sort out the flash is the old way with the resistors.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts