Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Driving home tonight I happened to notice that the Alarm LED in the door was permanently on as I was driving. I can't remember ever seeing it on like this before, or whether it was on permanently when I unlocked the car
undecided
. When I stopped and locked the car, it reverted to the intermittent flash, and when I unlocked it again it wasn't on. Anyone seen this behaviour before and know if it means anything (like the alarm had gone off or something). Ta

·
Registered
40 Posts
I have had the same thing happen to me on my GT 170 twice now when unlocking car with remote the red led stayed on permanently but when I locked it again went back to normal, Im not sure why it happens but as I said only had the car from new nearly 2 months now and its happened twice I didnt think it was anything to really worry about. But im glad to hear its not just a fault with my car then.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Happened to me as well. Unlocked the car with remote and the alarm LED stayed on even when key was in ignition. Drove home, locked the car and it went away. Very weird.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah - have it set to lock when moving and then unlock when the key come outs.  Could be - but the fact that it has only happened once is a bit suspicious.  My immediate thought is that it was an indicator that the alarm had been activated and then reset itself but not sure I want to test that out!

·
Registered
161 Posts
The alarm LED stayed on again today! Twice in 2 weeks. No one has an explanation?

I don't think the auto lock has something to do with it. I have it set when the car reaches 15 km/h.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Try setting the alarm off yourself,then unlock the car to see if it stays on.[:^)]

Just a thought.You would then know if it meant the alarm had been activated.

GOOF

·
Registered
46 Posts
Mine has done the same two or three times now, first of all I thought it was because it was dark and I had not noticed it on before.

Im like you waiting to see if anyone on here can come up with a reason.

·
Registered
349 Posts
happened several times today, I wonder if it's got something to do with the ambient temperature because it was below 5 degrees celcius.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I've had this a few times recently too; it's fine when it's locked, but comes on when I'm driving - it's really noticeable when I look over my shoulder, so it's definitely not always on.

Could it be the cold? I'm on 56 plate, 3000 miler.

Calum

·
Registered
349 Posts
56 plate here to.

mine usually comes on the moment the car is unlocked and remains on for the journey. failing that you can just lock-unlock with the keyfob to be rid of it.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Yup, happened to me twice - only just reading the thread now.....

last time I pulled up, locked the car, went to a friends house for a coffee [:)] and when I came out and unlocked the car I noticed the LED was permanently lit as it was a dark night. then I drove home with the LED still lit. It didn't go off till I locked and unlocked the car when I got home. At first I thought the alarm may have gone off but I parked it right outside their house and didn't hear anything. Only other thing was I parked it on a hill? Anyone on a hill at the time? Not washed it for 1 week so it wasn't that. Could it be something to do with the anti tilt/tow away?

Wierd....

·
Registered
894 Posts
Seems to be happening on mine during cold temperatures...

I wonder if its designed as an indicator of low temps before you get in the car & get the bong/ snowflake symbol or is it just a fault as its never been mentioned in the handbooks.

Reported by people on other forums lately including those in the US.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Happened to me twice. It may be just a coincidence but both times car was not parked on the level. First time parked sideways across a steep(ish) slope, second time facing downhill (but not that steep). Car seems fine so I'm not losing any sleep over it.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Same here! The car is 4 weeks old. And I have to tell you guys that car was not parked on the level.

Any official explanation?

One more question, I don't have alarm (if it's not standard) and I wonder what is function of this LED?

Tnx

1 - 20 of 27 Posts