Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, I'm new to this forum as a member, but have followed it as an innocent bystander for a while. So here's my particular problem.

I have a 2001 (51 plate) 1.9 GT TDi 130. 120k on the clock. I recently tried to eliminate a faulty connector by clipping the wires and temporarely rejoining them (minus the block). In my infinite lack of wisdom, I failed to note the wiring from loom to seat. It was only when I went to reconnect that I noticed the different wire colours. I have researched this extensively and cannot find a definitive answer. I have obviously disconnected the neg bat terminal throughout. Some say that the 3 wire connection should be brown-brown blue-green black-white, others say that blue-black, green-white is the anwer.

In addition to this, after each rewire, should I clear codes via VCDS? or should they auto-clear on reconnection of neg bat terrminal?

I need to establish the correct wiring, so as to eliminate a faulty underseat connector. Once this is confirmed, I can then move to digging out the dreaded old airbag ECU to see if it's safe to scan. And then ultimately proceed to slip ring correction.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Na, I pulled them clean out to give the maximum free wire to rejoin. I need a definitive answer as to what goes where, as I've looked at all other possibilities.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just located the airbag ECU for the part number. P/N is 10C 909 605A, which is good news, as accoding to Ross Tech, it's the part that superceeded the troublesome 6Q0 909 605A. I'm assuming that ECU is fine, so scanned it with VCDS lite and obtained code 00532 signal strength too low. Tried scanning it with both combinations of underseat wires (brown was left to brown) but same code. Deleted code a few times but it came back instantly. Any thoughts?

BTW, thanks for the link TdiRich, I read that post a little while back. Thing is, I was sure I saw that black went to white before I pulled the wires. That link says black to green.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Right, I've gone with that. They are secured with connector blocks for now, I'll solder/heat sleeve them at the weekend before I progress with the ecu connection. Lots of brown dust in there and behind other panels, not seen that before on any car.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No joy up to now. Took out airbag ecu, visually checked pins etc, put back. Cleared codes with VCDS lite, but came back immediately. Can't see any obvious damage to harness (what's visible of it anyway).

Should I be looking somewhere else? No voltage codes showing in other modules, so I don't think it's the battery.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ordered a new airbag ecu, and fitted it today. Airbag light now gone, so a duff module. Just in time for it's mot.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.