Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On my 1998 1.8t golf the airbag light has come on and even when i try get it reset it immediately comes back on, anybody idea whats causing this as the warning beep when i drive it is driving me mad.

any help appreciated thanks in advance

·
Registered
180 Posts
downloading vagcom to my laptop doesnt seem an issue, but where would i get the leads to connect to the port?

failing that how much is a legit copy and lead?

·
Super Moderator
50,213 Posts
The proper Ross tech lead is something like £300,and as you've found the software is free.You can however buy cheaper copies from places such as e-bay for as little as £50,the problem being that these are normally USB terminated,and VAG-COM is really designed to work with a serial port.You can get serial port emulators that make VAG-COM think your USB connection is a serial port,which I have,but I am as yet unable to get it to work.

Chris.

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
Mine is on too, but thats because I stupidly put a recaro interior in without disconnecting the battery. It'll fail MOT wouldnt it?

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
lil-sham - Yes I think it will fail an MOT.

golf4motion - it's probably only on because you's put a new battery in, try disconnecting the battery for 5 min again and see what happens. If now, are you close to Swindon as I am there and have the vag come program so can reset it for you.

scotboy - check under your seat or the passenger seat and see if any wires have broken. There's a common issue witht he seat causing the wired to rub and eventually break or something like that.

If the airbag light is on, it means that all of the airbags in the car have been deactivated.

·
Registered
180 Posts
benjie,

thanks for the vagcom offer, the cars not even being driven at the moment, waiting for the missus to pass her test the she will drive it, the battery was off the other day for charging (just went flat after no use) when i reconnected it the light still came on,

on the other point didnt realise vagcom worked off serial, my laptop doesnt have it, but i think my spare (old one) does

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
I have a serial cable with mine, but you can get usb too though (though Im not sure if usb uses works with the shareware versions)

Have you tried disconnecting the battery again, for about 5 minutes?

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
God dammit. Yes, it looks like vag-com will be needed. Be aware that a dealer will reset it for you, but probably charge £30 in the process!

·
Registered
180 Posts
not like its coming back on the road for a while, missus still cant drive, it also needs new coilpack (started arcing) and fan mod doing, just waiting to get me hands on some 3mm ali for the plate, oh and it needs 18's, r32 arb, new shocks and install, remap, exhaust.... shall i go on

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
ive had it reset before and it lasted for about ten mins but now when we try reset it it just pings straight back up[:(]

thoughts?? might be something to do with the wire under the seat???

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
So benjie, how do i sort out my problem, can i disconnect the battery for 10 minutes too, or does it mean a trip to the dealers? Cheers [y]

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
Like the guy says, try it!  If not, look in the vag-com section and find someone near you - buy them a few beers though!!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts