Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, i want to swop my airbag over & wondered if anyone had done this as i dont want it to go off! iv heard you need to disconnect the battery first but is there still a chance it will go off when removing it? also...has anyone had any issues with the lights staying on on the dash once it has been replaced? just want to make sure im not getting into something i will regret!

Cheers for any help

·
Super Moderator
50,244 Posts
No the airbag won't go off,all that will happen if you turn the ignition on with it disconnected is you'll get the airbag warning light staying lit up which can be switched off with any OBD scan tool.

But just for the sake of a few seconds work that could well take hours and lots of pounds to fix,why not disconnect it anyway,that way 100% guaranteed no warning lights because you've inadvertantly switched the ignition on with it disconnected [facepalm].

HOW TO REPLACE A FAULTY WIPER STALK

Chris.

·
Registered
3,437 Posts
No risks to taking the airbag off as long as you are not putting an electrical charge through the wiring of it or hitting the firing system with a large hammer.

Everyone makes a huge fuss about removing them, but its all fine. Just take note of what Chris said RE the SRS Warning light comming on.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts