Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just plugged in vag.com for the 1st time and now my airbag light wont go off. I've read the other posts about dodgy connections and the like but think it's too much of a coincidence not to be vag.com related.

I didn't tick the box to scan airbags.

Now I know you can clear the fault codes with vag.com but surely to pull up those codes you need to scan the airbags which is strongly advised against.

Can anyone help.

By the way, I'm still on the shareware version of vag.com as I'm still waiting for the activation code.

·
Registered
100 Posts
As you've stated yourself, any 1999-2001 models, they dont recommend to scan the airbag controllers as it may damage them.

As far as i know, to now turn off the light, you need the original VW machine, which your local VW dealer will have.

·
Super Moderator
3,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok, I was worrying a bit so took it to the dealer to relieve myself of £40 to check and clear the fault.[:(]

There diagnosis was as follows:

Suspect intermittent fault in dash pod. Parts & Labour £310.

Diagnostic Report:

Vehicle System:

19 - Diagnostic interface for data-bus

6N0909901

Gateway K<->CAN 0001

Coding 6

Dealership number 00028

02 - Interrogate fault memory

1 Fault detected

01314 049

Engine control unit

No Communication

Sporadic

He cleared the fault and it's been fine the last couple of hours.

I also asked the engineer to scan the airbag controller for the part no. and yes I've got the problematic one so cannot scan it if the problem re-occurs.

Can anyone interpret the diagnosis and could I have your opinions as to whether it might be correct

·
Registered
606 Posts
If it happens again, scan everything *except* the airbag and let us know what you find. The above code means the gateway (an integral part of the instrument cluster) couldn't talk to the ECU at some point. Could have numerous causes. I certainly wouldn't spend the cash on a new instrument cluster yet.

-Uwe-

·
Registered
100 Posts
I can back that up aswell. Definitely knows what hes doing and none of these other bullsh!t people in the VW world

By the way Uwe, its Virdee here from the UK, dont know if you remember but last time we talked we were having problems coding new speedo clusters with the 7 digit codes.

·
Super Moderator
3,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I got my registration code and was keen to try it. Guess what? Yep, airbag light on dash came back with airbag fault showing in MFA. So I did an AutoScan which produced the following:

VAG-COM Version: Release 303.1

Chassis Type: 1J - A4 VW Golf IV

Scan: 01,02,03,08,15,17,19,22,35,46,56

Address 01 -------------------------------------------------------

Controller: 06A 906 018 CG

Component: 1.8L R4/5VT MOTR HS D02

Coding: 04000

Shop #: WSC 00028

1 Faults Found:

18010 - Power Supply Terminal 30: Voltage too Low

P1602 - 35-00 - -

Readiness: N/A

Address 03 -------------------------------------------------------

Controller: 1J0 907 379 Q

Component: ABS/EDS 20 IE CAN 0001

Coding: 13504

0 Faults Found:

Skipping Address 15-Airbags

Address 17 -------------------------------------------------------

Controller: 1J0 920 921 A

Component: A4-KOMBIINSTR. VDO V13

Coding: 05442

Shop #: WSC 00227

IMMO-IDENTNR: VWZ7Z0X1481797

0 Faults Found:

Address 19 -------------------------------------------------------

Controller: 6N0 909 901

Component: Gateway K<->CAN 0001

Coding: 00006

0 Faults Found:

Address 46 -------------------------------------------------------

Controller: 1J0 959 799 AH

Component: 4U Zentral-SG Komf. 0001

Coding: 04096

0 Faults Found:

End -------------------------------------------------------

So what do you think?

Also I noticed it didn't return results for all modules scanned even though other no fault results were returned. Is that normal?

·
Registered
606 Posts
The list of modules to be scanned is the modules that (theoretically) could be in an Mk.4. VAG-COM only returns results for those modules which actually exist in your car.

I'm very puzzled by the lack of anything signifigant there. The low voltage code might be a clue. If your battery is weak and you're playing with VAG-COM for extended periods, it's possible the airbag controller also objects to the low voltage.

-Uwe-

·
Super Moderator
3,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So what is 'power supply terminal 30'?

Can I use VAGCOM to test the battery or is it just suggesting that I may have a bad connection or earth?

How do I clear the airbag error without scanning the airbag module?

·
Registered
606 Posts
"Terminal 30" is the unswitched power "bus" in your car.

Your ECU likely shows what voltage it is seeing at Terminal 30 in Measuring Block 004, field 2.

There is no way to clear an airbag code without accessing the airbag module.

-Uwe-

·
Super Moderator
3,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
quote:

Originally posted by Uwe

"Terminal 30" is the unswitched power "bus" in your car.

Your ECU likely shows what voltage it is seeing at Terminal 30 in Measuring Block 004, field 2.
Sorry for being thick Uwe, but I still dont understand. Where exactly will I find this component in the car? Or is it part of the ECU?

My understanding so far is that possibly there is a low voltage problem. If that's correct would it be a dodgy battery (the car starts fine even on the cold mornings we've had). Or could the problem be a bad earth?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi paul hope this helps terminal 30 is the power supply from your battery to your relay plate .The fault means that its been interupted you could have introduced this fault yourself by fitting extras it is verry common and sporadic means intermittent so it could have been there ages see if it returns

The engine no comunication fault means that at some time your engine controll unit has not comunicated with the gateway (gateway is in your dash pod and allows all the ecus to comunicate with each other) or the probable cause is that at some time the chip in your key has failed to be recognised when starting

Your airbag light i suspect is a problem with your vag com it sounds like its interupting the power supply be careful please!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi virdee see if this helps with your 7 digit codes

The 7 digit code is a combination of the 4 digit code +date+dealer no and can only be used by the dealer supplying the code on the day it was supplied with vas 5051 or vas 5052 however i belive that someone on the net can convert it back to 4 digit but dont know who sorry doojie

·
Registered
7 Posts
PJ

30 is the european DIN number for battery live, 15 is ign live, 75 is X contact live(live exept when cranking) and 31 is earth always to the body unless stated otherwise.

The fault is your engine ecu is common to VW and can often be caused just by the immobilizer not reading the key on the first attempt because you put the key in and turned it to quick so the chances of this relating to your airbag are slim to none.

If the airbag lamp is on and this has only happened since using vag com I would be looking at are you using the correct diagnostic plug as many ppl make there own without the dongle in it and although most are ok if you have done this maybe you have wires possibly touching and causing surges in the system and as the airbag IS the most sensitive to voltage may be why it is throwing the fault up.

Hopefully this helps.

Doojies mate loon.[:)]

·
Super Moderator
3,497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Doojie/Loon, are there 2 of you using same user name?

The cable I got is supposedly a VAG one. It came in a VAG box with VW, Audi, Seat, Skoda on it and said original parts. The plugs on it are metal.

'30 is the european DIN number for battery live, 15 is ign live, 75 is X contact live(live exept when cranking) and 31 is earth always to the body unless stated otherwise.'

Are these numbers fuses or relays, is that what you are suggesting I check?

Or should I just clear the codes and see if they return after a while?

Unfortunately I can't clear the airbag code due to the airbag controller being at risk of damage. I guess you're aware of the airbag issues: http://www.ross-tech.com/vag-com/vw_issues.html#Airbags

·
Registered
7 Posts
Sorry PJ

If you have battey voltage all the time it is known as 30, it is known as 15 if it it ignition live. They are just reference numbers for wiring diagrams and are used by most EU manufacturors, so as you see it saying 30 all it means is ' it should always be battery live ', it is nothing in-depth.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts