Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys. Only signed up but have been finding useful bits n pieces from the forums for a while now. My latest issue however has me stumped! About a month ago I changed the track rod ends and anti roll bar bushings (what a bitch that was) on my MK4 Tdi. Then a week ago my power steering rack died so I had to fit one of those also - and get the wheels aligned again! Took me a while as I'd never done anything like this before, I generally do a bit of research and if I have or can get the tools I'll give most things a go. Turns out it was actually quite easy just time consuming. Anyway, now that everythings back together again the airbag light has come on and the horn doesn't work and for the life of me I can't figure out what caused it. I did read a few posts saying to disconnect the battery which I'm doing now although I don't hold out much hope. It's due MOT in Feb sometime and I don't really wanna have to take it to an autospark if I can avoid it, I'd rather buy a VAG-COM system and do it myself if it wasn't too costly. I'm pretty sure I haven't knocked or nipped anything. Has anybody any other suggestions?

·
German Engineering at its Best
682 Posts
horn an airbag gone ususaly points at a faulty squib.

which is plausible if you had the steering disconnected. did you take out the key and apply steering lock while changing the rack so that the steering wheel could not turn?

pretty straight forward job to swap, you can pick up a squib from a braker for £30-50, but make sure you centre it before fitting. basically turn it one way till you feel a slight resistance then turn the other way counting turns till you feel resistance. turn back half amount of turns and its centred.

if you dont feel resistance its broke already so dont buy it.

lights should go out themselves once battery reconnected.

any more questions feel free to get in touch.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cheers pinocchio. I didn't apply the steering lock so that is most likely whats happened. To fit the replacment is it just a matter of disconnecting the battery, removing the steering wheel then airbag then squib and then putting back together in reverse order? I've checked out a few scrapyards and ebay and around £20 should cover it. Thanks again, I would have never figured this out by myself!

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
Check the price from VW since it will be set correctly, some people on ebay will wind them up like a tape measure. If you dont have it set correctly, the first time you put full lock on it will break and back to square 1. If your car has ASR then you can plug them in and turn them to set them to centre.

One tip is to put some marks matching the splines just before you pull the steering wheel off, that saves your guess work putting it back together,

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
They are also know as clocksprings and sliprings.

·
Registered
3,346 Posts
I've got a few quotes and tomorrow I will hopefully have the time to take the old one out and get the numbers off it. Along with replace the mirror that some eejit decided to take off today!

Excuse my ignorance aham but what is ASR?

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
ASR - one of the Stabilty/traction contorl systems fitted to the mk-iv

1 - 8 of 8 Posts