Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hay,

Does anybody know if there is a different tube size from air-filter box to turbo on models 115 ps and 130 ps? I think if 130 has bigger tube, that it could help motor to breath a little better? I own TDI AJM 115ps.

Thanks

Cic

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
Yes the 130 is bigger, you will have to change all the intake including the top of the airbox.

I have heard that changing other pipes with the ones from the PD 100 work well too, although I don't know which ones.....

·
Registered
861 Posts
the parts to take from a 130 are, Airbox lid, mafholder, flexible pipe & clips and pipework that leads to the turbo.

also if you intend to remap get the inlet manifold and pipework from egr down to the smic. Get all the clips too. (these are all smaller on the 115pd) {and 110 non pd for that matter]

You could get the lower intercooler pipe (same as the newer pd100) it goes back and clips into 130/150 turbo. Different angle/connectors on 115pd VNT15 turbo.

Sure get the turbo while your at it.

Also the injectors in the 130/150 are bigger. Get them as well :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Forgive me for asking a stupid question, but if the pipe work leading to the turbo is larger on the PD 130, then will it actually fit onto the PD 115 turbo or will it be too big? Also is the pipe work from the grille into the airbox on the PD 150 or 130 bigger than the 115?

·
Registered
861 Posts
There is a reducer rubber pipe/clips that the pipe from the airbox joins onto at the turbo. I can see why you question this, its more air volume yes but also the air will be colder. These pipes are good enough for standard engines but remapped engines suck hard and bigger pipes help this.

the reason the 115 has these small pipes is that they where carried over from the 110 non pd. Obviously vag found that bigger pipes had gains even on a standard 130.

the pipe work from the grill to the airbox is the same on the 110/115/130/150. Since changing from standard to 80mm ducting the car defo has become more responsive and i notice less smoke on hard acceleration.

Doing these mods to standard engines may have little or no impact on performance. The airbox/air intake mod is cheap so why not do it anyway.

According to torquetronix the 110/115pd inlet manifold is a major restriction and will limit the tuning even before the 115 injectors reach there limit.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks for the info. I will def give the air intake mods a go, as since having a revo remap the car smokes badly when giving it some stick! Is the 130 inlet manifold a direct swap onto the 115? Are there any additional parts or more different diameter pipes required to fit the larger manifold? <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>

I heard the intake manifolds and EGR valves on all the TDI models clog up with soot over time, has anyone cleaned theirs? How much of a problem is this?

·
Registered
861 Posts
the manifold is a straight swap. you will need the pipework (larger diameter) that leads down from egr onto the top of your intercooler. (i am in the middle of ordering some coloured pipework and i will post re this when it gets sorted)

as for egr, mine is pretty clean looking (i removed the rubber hose and cleaned a small amount of gunk from the butterfly inside)

remove the retaining clip and have a look its pretty straight forward.

the egr on my mates pd130 was well caked in gunk but we cleaned it with cloths/meths and long screwdriver wrapped in a cloth)

have a look at this guys 242 bhp 110 non pd , it will give you an idea to what needs changed. http://www.racingtdi.com/main.htm

·
Registered
5 Posts
Had a look at my EGR valve and it looks fairly caked, so I assume the intake manifold is caked too.

When fitting the 130 manifold, do I also need to fit the 130 EGR valve / flap housing or is this the same on the 115 as the 130?

I have also been offered an air box from a 170 bhp V5 Petrol, it looks the same as the PD 130 box, can anyone confirm it is the same, or supply a part number off the lid of their 130 air box and MAF holder?

·
Registered
90 Posts
Hi, I have an offer on parts from a smashed PD 130 golf, and am looking into fitting the bigger intake piping, including the MAF housing to my PD 115. Has anyone fitted this to a standard / remaped car without getting remaped again?

As the diameter of the MAF housing is different, does this mean there will be a greater air volume, but lower velocity, therefore the air meter will read wrong? Surely this would then under fuel the car and reduce performance??

Any ideas or thoughts would be appreciated!

·
Registered
861 Posts
Hi, I have an offer on parts from a smashed PD 130 golf, and am looking into fitting the bigger intake piping, including the MAF housing to my PD 115. Has anyone fitted this to a standard / remaped car without getting remaped again?

As the diameter of the MAF housing is different, does this mean there will be a greater air volume, but lower velocity, therefore the air meter will read wrong? Surely this would then under fuel the car and reduce performance??

Any ideas or thoughts would be appreciated!
fiiting the 130 turbo will have no gain without a remap.

now fitting the inlet manifold from a 130 will make a 115 more responsive and pull better up the revs but a remap is needed to get any real gain.

its only when you remap a 115 that the smaller parts show up how small they are. so i guess there will only be little gain by swapping the parts without a remap.

Ive sent a question to the guy who will be re remapping my car and i will post his response.

i see your point about air volume and i will get back to you when i get the technical answer. more air = more fuel.

I think aRd can answer some of these questions as he has swapped most of the stuff already.

I know someone who swapped all the parts and got a generic 130 remap put on and his car gets over 180bhp/300lbs on the rolling road.

i will get back 2 you after i get some sleep.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Thanks for the quick response!<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>

My 115 PD is remapped, but with the standard Revo map, not a custom job.<o:p></o:p>

When you say there may be no real gain fitting the larger pipework without a remap, do you mean the car would need to be remapped again with a custom map even though I have Revo, or just that there would be no gain on a stock car?<o:p></o:p>

If the larger intake system is needed for a stock 130 then surely it will have gains on a remapped 115 pulling nearly 160 bhp (I have 130 boost valve, smoothed air box, 80mm ducting, K&N etc), but if the 130 MAF will read low and under fuel the car i'm worried I may end up loosing power not gaining it!

·
Registered
4,381 Posts
as Bob said I've done the complete swap over of complete pipework,
inlet manifold, airbox, turbo and intercooler from a 130 TDI PD
engine. The bore size of 130 pipe work is a massive compared from the 115 stuff. I wish I took pictures of the 115 and 130 manifolds as well. The 130/150 share the same MAF holders as an 225 TT to give you an idea for size. Currently I'm using the 130 ECU for the mapping.

The car drives completely different from the 115 now. The power comes in after 1800 rpm, pulls hard all the way to 4,000 rpm. Does feel so much quicker, mid range, best of all have no smoke at. I do miss the low down power of the 115 turbo, the 130 does have lag. A remap will sort that out

Next few months I'm going to get a new clutch and 130/150 injectors and then a remap. Power should be over 180 bhp.

I was lucky and got all the pipe work, from the turbo and intercooler, inlet manifold, airbox, intercooler (which is slightly thick than the 115) etc from the same car as the turbo. My stuff was from Seat Leon, 2003 130 with only 1200 miles on

Any specific questions I'll try to answer

·
Registered
90 Posts
Thanks for the info aRd.

Did you run with the pipework upgrade on the 115 map at all, or did you swap to the 130 ECU at the same time?

What I am trying to find out is if there would be any real gain in swapping all the pipework on my PD 115 bearing in mind I want to keep my VNT 15 turbo and Generic Revo Map?

Also am I right in thinking that there were two versions of the pipe leading to the turbo on the 130, one was aluminium and the other plastic? I think this depended on the year?

Do you have any ideas on whether the MAF reading would be correct when swapping to the bigger tube, as the diameter is bigger and less air would be passing over the MAF wire element?

Would really appreciate any info you can give!

·
Registered
4,381 Posts
Hi

I swapped all my pipework because I went for the VNT17, it was rude not to ( because I was given it with the turbo This also made the swap simpler, no need for modifications to lower intercooler pipework. The 130 stuff was in very good condition, like new.

if you doing the inlet swap try to get all the pipework associated with the inlet. Reason for that the 130 uses a different method of connection for the top intercooler pipe and the bore for the turbo and airbox is bigger. Thats where you'll get the gain

you're right there are two versions of the pipe leading to the turbo on
the 130/150, one was aluminium (early ) and the other plastic (late) I've got the plastic, would have loved the aluminium one

I did drive it will the std 115 ECU, drove fine, only issue I was told I might have is it will run a little lean because of the extra air. The actual MAP sensor in the housing is the same one in the 115 / 130 / 150 engine. The housing is only larger from the 115.

The MAF reading were correct still, more air is pass over with the larger bore.

I reckon with the inlet manifold swap you'll get a good gain, less smoke. REVO map will be fine with the inlet manifold change. The car will be more responsive, you might gain a few more horses

My advise for you is get yourself VNT17 in the future, then injectors.

I

·
Registered
90 Posts
Thanks for that, i'm gona go ahead with the pipework, and possibly get a VNT17 in the future!<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>

Just a few things regarding the pipe diameters:<o:p></o:p>

Are the fitting (diameter) onto the VNT 15 and VNT 17 the same, so the 130 pipe from air box will go straight onto my VNT 15 providing I have the rubber reducer that comes with the aluminium pipe?<o:p></o:p>

Also you mention the 115 and 130 have different connections onto top of intercooler, does this mean I cannot connect my 115 intercooler onto the 130 pipe to the manifold?<o:p></o:p>

Lastly, am I correct in thinking I need the 130 EGR valve / flap housing as this is bigger?

·
Registered
861 Posts
the EGR valve from the 130 will be needed as its bigger as well. when the guy removed the inlet the EGR was included. :)

the 115 would not match up due to size difference.

Im in a similar position to you as i have a remap and i intend upgrading these parts. I believe if you fit the bigger inlet & pipework to your existing map/turbo/injectors you will feel the difference, especially up the revs. a remaped 115 loses puff early because of this pipework. Ive been told that the stock injectors (115) along with good remap are good for 170bhp and thats its due to smaller injectors. the 170 is achieved due to more the turbo running 22psi on full load (my current psi)

my 115 with its current map is at 172bhp @ 267 lbs with standard pipework but with 80mm ducting, smoothed airbox and 130n75 valve. there is some smoke due to shortage of air at higher revs but this will go away when i replace the inlet manifold/pipework with the bigger stuff.

I have everything from a 150 pd for fitting including the vnt17b :) , but ive no money at the moment to fit the stuff. im considering leaving the vnt17b in for hybriding for even more power.

have a look at this guys work: http://www.racingtdi.com/main.htm

he has done everything you intend to do and his turbo is the vnt15 hybrid.

one thing i notice is the 115 remap really feels hills and a full car load. when driving a mates 130 remapped it doesnt feel the extra weight.

thats due partly to the 115's smaller turbo but mainly the inlet manifold/pipework (as aRd said the 110/115 inlet manifold is really small)

Goodluck and keep us informed with your progress.

yes when you finish all the work you will need a re remap to take full advantage of the bigger stuff. thats another topic (maybe 130/150 generic remap ?) intercooler ? etc etc

·
Registered
90 Posts
Finally got round to fitting my 85mm ducting, car feels much smoother, and seems to be revving more freely... Strangely I seem to be getting an extra 5mpg on average (according to mpg computer) , did your mpg improve Bob when you fitted you 80mm pipe?

·
Registered
346 Posts
one thing i notice is the 115 remap really feels hills and a full car load. when driving a mates 130 remapped it doesnt feel the extra weight.

thats due partly to the 115's smaller turbo but mainly the inlet manifold/pipework (as aRd said the 110/115 inlet manifold is really small)
Cant say i have noticed this, the car feels the same with me if its full or if its only me driving.

·
Registered
453 Posts
For those of you who have replaced the pipe work from the air box to the turbo (on the 115) did you notice and proplems connecting it to the turbo?

I.e does the 130/150 turbo have a bigger air intake, so making it a bit tricky to make it a plug and play jobbie?

When i looked up the prices on ETKA the pipe work seems to be very expensive? ?80 just for the pipe from the MAF to the Turbo, is this the alloy one???

ARD - Still going down to GTi?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.