Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
66 Posts
Don't believe the hype about re-gassing, an a/c system should never lose refrigerant gas and never require re-gassing.

The oil in the compressor shouldn't need replacing, just about all non industrial air conditioning units are sealed for life and an oil change is not possible.

If the system is short of refrigerant then there is a leak and it must be found and repaired before recharging and not topped up.

If a dealer tops up refrigerant in the system and the authorities find out, they will be in for more than a slap on the wrist.

The correct refrigerant is R134a which almost every refrigeration engineer in the land will carry in their service vehicle.

The ammount of refrigerant in a car would cost a refrigeration engineer about ?5.

Tip: Run your a/c occassionally throughout the cold season to keep the internals lubricated and prevent seizing ie. to de-mist windows quickly.

[:#]

· Registered
66 Posts
Don't believe the hype about re-gassing, an a/c system should never lose refrigerant gas and never require re-gassing.

The oil in the compressor shouldn't need replacing, just about all non industrial air conditioning units are sealed for life and an oil change is not possible.

If the system is short of refrigerant then there is a leak and it must be found and repaired before recharging and not topped up.

If a dealer tops up refrigerant in the system and the authorities find out, they will be in for more than a slap on the wrist.

The correct refrigerant is R134a which almost every refrigeration engineer in the land will carry in their service vehicle.

The ammount of refrigerant in a car would cost a refrigeration engineer about ?5.

Tip: Run your a/c occassionally throughout the cold season to keep the internals lubricated and prevent seizing ie. to de-mist windows quickly.

· Registered
66 Posts
Don't mean to go on but....

The a/c system is a sealed unit so if all is well will not lose refrigerant unless the parts used leak.

Havn't heared of 'ozmosis'.

I mentioned that most non-industral systems are sealed for life, what i should have said is the compressors are sealed so an oil change is not possible...all systems have gauge ports and flared connections, pressure switch connections and filters etc.

Moisture will not enter an a/c system unless there is a leak resulting in negative pressure in the low/suction side of the system sucking it in.

You can top up a system as long as it has some charge in it and you purge the charging lines through charging to the sight glass if the car has one, or untill the suction pipe entering the compressor comes back cold with the engine revs at about 2500rpm, however this is not ideal but it does happen, believe me.

I believe a 2 year prison sentance is the maximum for an engineer venting refrigerant, at least thats what I heared. Could be wrong on that one.

I stated that the amount of refrigerant a car requires would cost a refrigeration engineer about ?5 ie. from the dumpy bottle of about 7-10kg. I didn't refer to sachet's.

Are you an engineer yourself or have you been reading a service manual.

Maybe the equipment used is of inferior quality to the rest of the trade so the dealers expect leaks, don't let them blind you with science, vehicle a/c is quite basic.

[8-|] interesting topic, well for me anyway..

· Registered
66 Posts
Obviously i don't know the full facts on automotive aircon, but then my business isn't aimed at automotive aircon.

Impressed with your research and the big words...

Never too old to learn.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.