Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

air bag/esp light

Mk4 Golf 
Tags
mk4 golf
554 views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  charly_joe 
#1 ·
hi

after fitting ignition switch,have managed to make a mess of steering sensor switch and as per previous posts have now got esp light on dash, on turning steering wheel to full lock last night ,i heard a click and have now got air bag illuminated.there has been a noise like a piece a paper rubbing behind the steering wheel,within the steering wheel sensor .i am pretty sure i have buggered this,is this the slip ring ?

does anyone know someone in my area who could fix this and put out the lights,i am in Gravesend.kent

len

#3 ·
It's actually called the "clock spring",slip rings are completely different.

As above you'll need a new one (they can't be repaired) but PLEEEEEAAAASE make sure the front wheels are perfectly straight ahead when you fit it and DON'T cut the tape that holds it in position until just before you put the steering wheel back on.

Chris.

#4 ·
hi

after fitting ignition switch,have managed to make a mess of steering sensor switch and as per previous posts have now got esp light on dash, on turning steering wheel to full lock last night ,i heard a click and have now got air bag illuminated.there has been a noise like a piece a paper rubbing behind the steering wheel,within the steering wheel sensor .i am pretty sure i have buggered this,is this the slip ring ?

does anyone know someone in my area who could fix this and put out the lights,i am in Gravesend.kent

len
Hi mate - I have one for a non ESP car if yours does not have ESP. As the one for ESP cars is different.I had the same problem after retro fitting cruise control and bought the part but was no use to me as I have an ESP model. I paid a tenner for it from a scrappy so you can have it for a tenner plus whatever it cost to post if you want it mate. Can get you part no if you need it to check.

Cheers

Jon

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.