Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just got a speeding fine through the post b4! 35mph in a 30mph!! what a load o CRAP!!!

north wales *money making* tw****!!

anybody contested there tickets? did you get off? anybody got a similar ticket like me! 5mph over!

there is a pic on the site below! Greenfield
A548 heading north-west past Greenfield

http://www.abd.org.uk/local/north_wales_cameras.htm

thats a pic of where it is! worst speed camera in the whole of wales!

·
Registered
895 Posts
Feel gutted for you mate [:(]. Just for information, how long did it take for the brown letter to arrive from the offending date in your case?

·
Registered
207 Posts
That Greenfield ones a joke...suprised that one hasnt been vandalized
in protest against it. I've seen quite a few damaged gatsos before[:p]

·
Registered
558 Posts
I thought they allowed +10% + 3mph.  The 10% being the allowable difference in speedo accuracy and 3mph allowing for conditions/human judgement etc.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I thought they allowed +10% + 3mph. The 10% being the allowable difference in speedo accuracy and 3mph allowing for conditions/human judgement etc.
thats what i thought like!!

shit aint it!

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Feel gutted for you mate [:(]. Just for information, how long did it take for the brown letter to arrive from the offending date in your case?
happened on sunday! got it today (weds)

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
I thought they allowed +10% + 3mph. The 10% being the allowable difference in speedo accuracy and 3mph allowing for conditions/human judgement etc.
Yer, they do, but you are on it, 35mph is the end line. I got caught in wales too. I contested it asking for evidence. I never to this day got my evidence, but did get court looming and heavier fines and heavier points, so I just paid up in the end. 83mph on the M4 at 6am....nice. I sitll give the scamera partnership grief now and then about the lack of evidence, apparently though, the tape with my evidence is either lost in the office, in a court room or being examined by the police in conjunction with an accident, every single time, so they can't do prints apparently. [:^)]

I'd ask for a calibration cert and proof of 2 fatalities in the last 3 years I think it is at that spot or the local area. That camera is illegal from what I have read. I'd also go back and check for any speed camera signs on approach to the 40mph, or anywhere in the area. They HAVE to state there are speed cameras with signs, I got off a van sitting in someones drive by doing this. Literally knew he had caught me at 40 in one of those stupid 30mph areas with no reason for 30mph apart from to catch you out. So I drove out of the 30 zone, turned round and went back in, turned round and went through again, stopped, knocked on his window and asked him where his signs were, taking pics with my phone. Fine came through, I sent off the pics of him in his van with his signs in his van and pics of the surrounding area. Ta da, scot free. Shame for the other motorists also caught unfairley though.

It's all literally part of tax these days though, if its your first, try to contest, but if not, pay it and move on, most of us on the forum will have at least 3 points I should think. Just be ready for rises in insurance and when you got to hire a vehicle too, after all, your now a criminal...

·
Registered
148 Posts
anybody contested there tickets? did you get off? anybody got a similar ticket like me! 5mph over!
I got done for 35 once aswell by a biker one he was parked up with his bike hiddden and he was standing on the corner with body hidden, when he pulled me over I said to him I was doing the same speed as the car in front but he told me he was doing 34 which is acceptable limit but I swear I was doing the same speed as I was not catching up what difference is that 1mph..

He was real a**h*** I think he only done me coz I was in my dads new Merc and the car in front was a 15 year old feista. I know for fact it was most probably the car coz he said to me how do you afford car like that at your age, I was only 18 at the time. What b******, sorry for the swearing but that really hacked me off.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Again, didn't think they were allowed to hide.  The vehicle and officer has to be on full view marked up with Police markings, ie you don't see a plain clothes office conducting the speed trap.  Therefore, isn't a hiding Policeman defeating the point of this?

·
Registered
113 Posts
This whole speed camera thing is such an annoyance... mainly because it
just doesn't work effectively for the amound of money that they are
spending (and we are spending). Has any one seen those signs that flash
up telling you to slow down and what speed you're doing? I beleive
those things are more effective than the camera's. Plus they cost less.
I've got to go to court in two weeks to get a fine/ban for doing 83mph
on the M4 in a temp 50mph limit.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Hiya, bad luck.

I would make notes, af it it goes to court would be useful. In court you may be asked if the notes were made while the events were still fresh in your mind. If you want to use the notes, then the answer must be a yes. Note the following:

• The weather conditions.
  • Positions of OTHER CARS
  • The time and date.
  • Your direction of travel and the source and destination.
  • The lane you were in and the name of the road, also the area.

Preparing for Trial Examine the ticket a few times. Look for mistakes on the ticket such as a wrong name, time, date, or location. If there are any, you should tell them to the magistrate. Gather evidence, you should write to the police and ask for at least the following items:

• Full copy of the Instruction manual for the RADAR/LIDAR device used (will say when it needs calibrationg).
  • Copy (both sides) of the calibration certificate and its past calibration history.
  • Photographic evidence that it is you driving (if not provided, claim you dont know who was driving and cant remember. As you had done a long drive and kept changing drivers).

I also recommend that you return to the scene and take pictures of the area, including any signs which indicate the law. Make sure that your pictures are clear. DO NOT use a digital camera, to the best of my knowledge its not admissible, and get the seriel number of the camera. As they may tell you to look up on a website when your camera was last claibrated. They do this but dont tell you the serial number as most people wont go back to the scene to get the number, so have no way of knowing if its out of calibration, as most are out of calibration.

I hope this helps.

Cheers

Andrew

·
Registered
30 Posts
Its getting beyond a joke nowadays- simply a money making exercise- where is the danger in that location?? no schools etc. Feel for ya mate!

·
Registered
309 Posts
It seems the 10% + 3mph rule is no more, as it use to speed limit +30mph =a ban , but its now 96.

And the police officers are classed as expert witness so they only need to say in there opinion you were driving over the limit and they can do you.

I got done for 86 on the M4 coming over the bridge at 4 am , in the dry driving my old M3 (sold it to buy the anni) my point was that was safer on an empty motorway than a 17 year old in a mini 850 in the wet at 75, still got the ticket.

Asked for the cert for the camera but they do not have to prove it untill court, altough they have to check it before during and after duty.

it seems the only way to still get off with the camera flash, is my mate was driving he has gone back to the us now , his name is ........ address ...... make it all up, they have to make an effort to trace them and only have 14 days to.

·
Registered
47 Posts
My advice from being on the police side of the fence is to admit nothing and contest everything. Most people will just pay for the fear of going to court. I have advised friends and family charged with traffic offences in the past to take it the whole way and every time proceedings have been dropped. If I was ever in the same position I would take it the whole distance and make my colleagues work for their money. I say have the bottle to run with it and just wait the outcome.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
As john says you can contest and sonetimes it will be dropped just depends on the judge really, friend of mine contested that she was just keeping up with traffic and they just said 'but you were speeding' and slapped the fine up by ?100. luck of the draw i guess, you cud get away with it but if u dont it will be much worse. i would just accept it and get a radar detector or slow down a bit around town.

·
Registered
811 Posts
the laws for fixed speed camera's are that down the whole lenth of the road there are warning signs of speed camera in use and also speed limit signs clearly visable.

as for the poxi mobile speed camera's they have to be in a marked van, with speed camera symbols on it and also be well visable, hiding in a bush is not on and if anyone see's this going on should take photos and report them!!!!

·
Registered
824 Posts
A friend of mine got caught doing 39 in a 30 down a hill by a mobile speed camera. It was clearly visible, and the fine came through at ?143! it was ?30 for the offence, and ?113 'Equipment costs'! How can they charge for this, he never asked them to take the photo or use their equipment!

·
Registered
824 Posts
I know, it was nearly 2 years ago now, but he contested and they said it was standard practice! he paid up afterwards just to make it easier, also now drives slower in that area too [:p]

1 - 20 of 23 Posts