Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Mokeylock
1,454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know if I can get a metal aftermarket skid plate for the Golf mk4 ?? I think it'll be a useful mod since i've lowered my car. I found a few really nice once on www.dieselgeek.com but they dont seem to make one for the golf. Here's a pic of the one on that site.

Posted Image

strength of the skid plate demonstrated above

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
The pic IS a golf mk4 as far as I know... there was a big topic about this a while ago, and im sure that is a Mk4 golf....[?]

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
The Dieselgeek one does fit the Golf, I have one myself. However, I believe that the plate is a standard VW item that should be available from your dealer, so you don't have to get it from Dieselgeek (sorry Jim). You should also be aware that in addition to the plate, you will need a number of small fittings to attach it and will have to make some minor mods to the plastic fittings below the engine. Did mine one Sunday afternoon so it's not a massive job, but did take a good couple of hours working on my own. Didn't get the sound deadening material with mine.

Milkfloat - yes the skidplate is taking the strain in the pic, though Jim at Dieselgeek does not recommend you do this as a matter of course. The plate weights in the region of 30 lbs (according to FedEx) - it's solid.

·
BORA owner!!!!!!
1,624 Posts
I,m sorry, but i dont think that the skid plate as shown is taking the weight of the front of the car, wheres it mounted?, i,m sure that the skid plate must be resting at least on the front part of the subframe.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Quote: posted by hz2921 on 15/01/2005 14:13:16

I,m sorry, but i dont think that the skid plate as shown is taking the weight of the front of the car, wheres it mounted?, i,m sure that the skid plate must be resting at least on the front part of the subframe.

I'm sorry, I can assure you that it is taking the weight of the car. If you look at the link that rfsteel posted you'll see how it's mounted. Two mounts at the front, three at the rear. It is bolted securely to the car (can't remember if it is the subframe at the front) and the way the jack is positioned, the centre of the plate is having to take the weight.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Quote: posted by simch on 15/01/2005 17:47:02

How much and what s the part number if its a vw item?

30 lbs seems a hell of a weight!!

Check the link that Russell(rfsteel) posted above. It's excellent and contains all the part numbers. I haven't actually weighed mine, I was just going by what FedEx said when they shipped it. It's not easy lifting it into place under the car so it definitely ain't light.

·
Registered
264 Posts
yeap ! the plate is 30 odd pounds, it's 1/10 inch section steel. And yes it can support the front of the car, as I found out when I beached it on a curb !!!!

I got all the bits from VW dealer for about ?120.

all part numbers etc are in previuos posts

·
Mokeylock
1,454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote: posted by DBGTTDI on 15/01/2005 21:35:25

yeap ! the plate is 30 odd pounds, it's 1/10 inch section steel. And yes it can support the front of the car, as I found out when I beached it on a curb !!!!

I got all the bits from VW dealer for about ?120.

all part numbers etc are in previuos posts

Do you mean you bought all the parts from the VW dealership apart from the metal skidplate itself ?

Did you modify the skid plate to fit your golf, yourself?

Would you say it's worth getting?

·
Registered
264 Posts

·
Mokeylock
1,454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quote: posted by DBGTTDI on 16/01/2005 13:57:09

No, bought everything from VW. There are two part numbers for the plate one for diesels, other for petrol.

No mod for plate, but you need to cut out holes in the existing plastic side pieces for the arms to go through.

Was it worth it ? let me see !

look here http://www.uk-mkivs.net/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=45806&FORUM_ID=4&CAT_ID=2&Topic_Title=Killed+a+lump+of+concrete+%21+at+30+mph&Forum_Title=MK4+Golf+%26+Bora+Discussion

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEES ! i'll see if I can find the reciept

Man I need one, have had too many close encounters. Dude, do you have the part numbers for the pertrol one? Also I was under the impression that i'd have to cut a hole for the oil dranage... is this not true?

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
Quote: posted by Mokeylock on 16/01/2005 19:35:25

Quote: posted by DBGTTDI on 16/01/2005 13:57:09

No, bought everything from VW. There are two part numbers for the plate one for diesels, other for petrol.

No mod for plate, but you need to cut out holes in the existing plastic side pieces for the arms to go through.

Was it worth it ? let me see !

look here http://www.uk-mkivs.net/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=45806&FORUM_ID=4&CAT_ID=2&Topic_Title=Killed+a+lump+of+concrete+%21+at+30+mph&Forum_Title=MK4+Golf+%26+Bora+Discussion

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEES ! i'll see if I can find the reciept

Man I need one, have had too many close encounters. Dude, do you have the part numbers for the pertrol one? Also I was under the impression that i'd have to cut a hole for the oil dranage... is this not true?

ditto all that... any ideas whether this will suit us 4wd'ers?! Would be veeeeeeeeery useful considerin I have about half an inch below my sump to floor!![:D][:I]

·
Mokeylock
1,454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
ditto all that... any ideas whether this will suit us 4wd'ers?! Would be veeeeeeeeery useful considerin I have about half an inch below my sump to floor!![:D][:I]

Oh man, don't tell me the 4wheel drive will affect this also... anyone know?

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
Quote: posted by Mokeylock on 16/01/2005 23:44:11

Oh man, don't tell me the 4wheel drive will affect this also... anyone know?

Am really not sure buddy, all I know is that the suspension setup is very different on the 4mo/r32/tt/s3 to all the other mk4 platforms... therefore presuming but kinda hoping im wrong, that the attachment points may be different for this sump guard.

If it is, I might possibly be able to get an engineering guy I know to modify an existing one, but would need to see it!!

Part numbers please!!![:D][:D]

·
BORA owner!!!!!!
1,624 Posts
looks like i better start talking to the parts man at the stealers, if i,m going to lower my car i,d be happy with something like this to protect my sump!!!!

·
Registered
2,357 Posts
I've also added these parts to Foxy's GB interest thread.

Looks like we might have enough interest here to get one going.

Oh Foxy or Shaq we could have a Skid Plate GB for you [:D]

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
AFAIK the petrol part number is 1J0 018 930C and the diesel one is 1J0 018 930B.

Oil drainage: I fitted a Fumoto drain valve to mine which is a tap that screws into the sump with a long rubber tube coming from it. The theory is that you can just undo the 3 bolts at the back of the sump guard, drop the back, pull out the hose and drain the oil. Have not tried it yet but I suspect that it isn't easy to do it unless the front of the car is elevated. Even so, I reckon that both products are worth it - changing the oil by opening a tap rather than taking out and replacing the sump plug seems like a good deal to me especially when you run the risk of damaging the thread.

Not sure about the 4Mo setup.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts