Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I've fitted a new head unit to my MK5 and the head unit remains on all the time regardless of ignition state. I've swapped the red and yellow wire usually associated with settings loss but it has made no difference.

Is it possible to make is work as it should?

·
Registered
728 Posts
Yes, it is just a case of swapping wires till it works i am afraid.  i have this prob with my bluetooth kit in everycar i have owned.  Or finding someone that knows of course......

·
Registered
167 Posts
It is because the connector on your car does not have a ignition supply on the block. The mk5 golf employs a fairly complicated electrical system.

you should be able to find a seperate ignition supply at the fusebox or order a can-bus interface which i fitted when i swapped my unit.

Pioneer part No. CA-PI.221 this did the steering wheel controls as well.

let me know how you get on

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks for the reply Steve. Although your install appears to work fine I'm not too keen on splicing into any wires yet. My stereo system is quite demanding on the electrical system.

I've seen a kit advertised on bluespot which converts from canbus to ISO by the looks of it. The only down side is that it'll cost me ?90 [:(].... but i guess that's the price to pay for having it all packaged up ready to go. Although I wasn't keen on the idea initially I'm considering spending the money so prevent the need to cut into cables and creating potential for other problems.

This is the kit by the way....

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks for the reply Steve. Although your install appears to work fine I'm not too keen on splicing into any wires yet. My stereo system is quite demanding on the electrical system.

I've seen a kit advertised on bluespot which converts from canbus to ISO by the looks of it. The only down side is that it'll cost me ?90 [:(].... but i guess that's the price to pay for having it all packaged up ready to go. Although I wasn't keen on the idea initially I'm considering spending the money so prevent the need to cut into cables and creating potential for other problems.

This is the kit by the way....

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
If I keep the golf long enough mine will be demanding, the wires you splice into are only power feed wires, normally with Alpine headunits you are supposed to run a dedicated power feed to the battery but with this head unit Alpine just reccomend a power feed.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
fair does.

Oh well, after being fobbed off by Bluespot that the cable that looks like the business is only for a 'Blaupunkt' stereos I had to go searching for an alternative. Beats me how it can only be this way as the interface looks ISO compatible to me[:S] (I guess they're just covering their ass). Anyhow, located a generic cable which will work at lowcostcaraudio which I'm told will do the busniess but is ?20 more expensive and doesn't have the aerial adapter![cry]

·
Registered
454 Posts
Hiya,this is my first post so my regard's to everyone on this excellent forum,will this adapter work fine on my new Kenwood ddx-6029?I take it this convert's the canbus interface into a iso interface?Or can I just use a autolead's wireing harness converter and do the light switch mod?Don't want to spend ?110 for nothing as I am very good with soldering iron's and the such.Sorry for asking so many question's.[:D]

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hello Sanjit,

This is my exact issue. BUT looks like its the only way to solve the problem. After spending ?18,000 on a new car the last thing I want to do is skimp on the cost and bodge the installation. The ?10 Autoleads cable will allow you to use an aftermarket stereo but the unit will stay on all the time.

Incidentally I spoke to DiscountCarAudio today and they have confirmed that this cable will do the job. If you want to convert audio controls on the steering wheel you will need a different lead though.

I shall be buying this cable in order to solve this problem.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Cheer's mate for clearing that up for me,my car does'nt have the steering control button's so it look's like i'll be buying this as well!Thank you once again.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
lol no worries mate - they had about 5 of those cables left when I called them this afternoon.

it's a costly solution i know but the safest option in my eyes.

Also, you'll need an aerial adapter as the above kit doesn't include one (buy from here) - costs about ?15 tops. If you find you need any extra bits you'll be able pick them up for small money from Halfords.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I'm still waiting for my car to be delivered, but I've already bought a fascia, aerial adapter and an ISO convertor lead to swap my Alpine into the car when it arrives. Can someone confirm that using the standard ?10 ISO adapter that you CAN get the stereo to go off with the ignition if you get it set up right please? Also - does the dimmer work (put your lights on, stereo display dims)?

Cheers...

Pete

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hi mate,

Already been down this road as per the post.

By default the ?10 autolead won't allow the stereo to power off when you remove the key. However some chap on here managed to do it by tapping into the side light electric.

Personally I preferred not to and resorted to buying a CANBUS adapter that provided the power off on key remove function - costly thought (liek ?110).

Not sure on the dimmer functionality but saying that one of the feautres listed says "Illumination & Reverse Signal Outputs"???

The details for the CANBUS lead are contained upward on this thread dude.

·
Registered
79 Posts
To be honest I'm more than happy to hack the light switch apart and tap a couple of wires off it! I spend half my day working with electronics, so the thought of this doesnt phase me.

If the ?10 adapter doesnt dim the stereo and the ?110 one does, then I'll have to fork out for the expensive one as I want everything to work correctly - but if it dims ok, then I'll get out my soldering iron [;)]

Have you fitted your CANBUS adapter yet?

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yes, fitted the CANBUS adapter - incredibly straight forward and stereo works without any troubles. The electrics are so complex on these modern cars I didn't want any hassles.

The chap on this thread might be worth PM'ing if you want more info on a 'DIY' fix on the existing wiring. (SteveTDCI I think he's called).

·
Registered
79 Posts
Yes, fitted the CANBUS adapter - incredibly straight forward and stereo works without any troubles.
Does your stereo display dim when you put the headlights on? All new stereos have this option - you may need to set it somewhere in the options though.

I've PM'd SteveTDCI to ask if his dims or not. I'd rather spend the ?110 and get something that works right - but if the ?10 adapter works right with a bit of fiddling then that'd be fine!

Cheers... Pete

1 - 20 of 45 Posts