Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Aero Wipers

Are these just a fancy name for normal wipers?, Different wipers? or other?

Are they worth getting? Where from? Cost??

Sorry if wrong section.

Need a new wiper blade and had read a few members had these, so was wondering the above really.

Cheers

Gaz

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
Standard wipers

Posted Image

Aero wipers

Posted Image

You can get the Aero wipers from suppliers like Shaq for around ?50-60. I got mine from a salvage yard for ?30. They look much better and do work better than standard ones at higher speeds.

Well worth it if you have the cash spare.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the post mate. That really helped explain it.

That's something else on my list for Shaq when i have the cash..lol.

Cheers

Gaz

·
Registered
80 Posts
My Anniversary came with Aero wiper on the front. I recent fitted an aero wiper to the rear to replace the standard crap looking one.

Works a treat on the rear and look quite nice. I had to grind down the center cap though to get it to fit correctly.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've just bought a set of front aero wipers for my Golf from Shaq. (Cheers dude! [:D])

However, i'm severly hacked off with the stupid car as i can't get the old wipers off!! I've only got an adjustable spanner and its not strong enough to do it. Its like the nuts have been air gunned on to make sure they ain't coming off!

If anyone knows how i get the old ones or or what i use, please post up.

Thanks

Gaz

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
I've just bought a set of front aero wipers for my Golf from Shaq. (Cheers dude! [:D])

However, i'm severly hacked off with the stupid car as i can't get the old wipers off!! I've only got an adjustable spanner and its not strong enough to do it. Its like the nuts have been air gunned on to make sure they ain't coming off!

If anyone knows how i get the old ones or or what i use, please post up.

Thanks

Gaz
My old wipers were the same mate, they seem'd to have bonded themselves on. Soaked them in WD40 and left it overnight, then soaked them again in the morning and left it till lunch time before trying to get them off. It worked a treat and the nuts came off with ease. HTH.

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Ordered mine from Shaq, ?64 delivered for the front 2 . Fitted them last nite and a nice, V.sexy and quiet and look cool. They also sit low so inside the car looking forwards you hardly notice them, as normal wiper arms tend to stick up a bit. Love how they mold straight to the screen as the blades are all rubber.

Will post a pic tomorrow as i have a Bmw at home now.

The nuts are best tackled with a nice socket , carful you dont slip and break the screen, If wiper arms are seized spray some release oil down the stem but they normally come off with a bit of heavy wiggling about, if not then you can buy wiper arm remover tool. Position them right on the screen too. i had my drivers wiper sitting flat , then the left one angles but made sure the right hand side of it was level with the flat wiper if you know what i mean. Cant wait for it to rain.

·
Registered
566 Posts
My Anniversary came with Aero wiper on the front. I recent fitted an aero wiper to the rear to replace the standard crap looking one.

Works a treat on the rear and look quite nice. I had to grind down the center cap though to get it to fit correctly.
Ditto.

I thought they came standard on all Annis but it seems as though the early 2002 models (ie '02) came with the standard ones whereas the '52 and the very rare '03 models had the aeros.

~ Maxie

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Nope, still can't get the stupid nuts off! Tried the WD40 (can't believe i didn't think of that earlier! lol), and still nothing! Just ended up with greasy hands! [:'(]

What's the tool for getting them off?

They look great, can't wait to get them on. Just wish i could get the nuts off!

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ditto.

I thought they came standard on all Annis but it seems as though the early 2002 models (ie '02) came with the standard ones whereas the '52 and the very rare '03 models had the aeros.

~ Maxie
Mine's a 52 plate and i only had an aero on the rear, not the front.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
mines a 52 plate , but it didnt come iwth aero wipers front or back.

Has one on the rear now, thanx to shaq., Just having trouble getting the cap to stop popping off all the time! any more suggestions than grinding it down so it doesnt scrap the screen as ive done that.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Mine is a 52 plate which has them on the fronts but not the back.

Find in the rain i end up with some water left over right where i am looking while driving! does do my head in but i accept it. blades are new too

Tam

·
Registered
43 Posts
"Tried the WD40"

Get some proper penertrating spray (try Halfords, yellow and green can) as WD40 isn't very good at unsiezing things but instead it can help you round off the nuts as the spanner is lubed, with an EXUP valve in the exhaust of my Fazer I have to keep a can handy as the allan key headed bolts are always 'welded' in.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Frodo,

To improve the clearance on the rear wiper cap:

1.Remove the interior trim panel in the hatch (2x screws in the grab handles, gentle up-pop the clips).

2. Tighten up the bolt that holds the rear wiper motor in place. This will push more of the rear wiper arm out through the back screen giving the cap more clearance.

Worked a treat on mine. I found this out whilst fixing the rear washer pipe.

Rich

1 - 20 of 41 Posts