Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I received my Aero Wipers yesterday from Shaq, can I just say what a top bloke he is - great product and quick delivery, however I can't get my current wiper arms off!!

I wasn't expecting this to be an easy task as the car is 5 years old but the wiper arms won't budge!! I have tired using WD40 and some gentle persuassion but it's not happening?

How did everyone lese get their arms off?

·
Registered
303 Posts
I received my Aero Wipers yesterday from Shaq, can I just say what a top bloke he is - great product and quick delivery, however I can't get my current wiper arms off!!

I wasn't expecting this to be an easy task as the car is 5 years old but the wiper arms won't budge!! I have tired using WD40 and some gentle persuassion but it's not happening?

How did everyone lese get their arms off?
By standing on the bonnet and yanking them off with a crowbar. Only left a few dents and scratches!!! LOL!

No seriously, persuasion, persuasion, persuasion!! I soaked the knurled pin with WD40 and kept wiggling the arm to get the juice all the way around! Then add some more and do the same.

Left it for about 10 mins and went back to it.

Drivers side was easier than the other. But it did take a fair bit of force to pull it off.

Try opening the bonnet and coming in from underneath.

HTH

Iain

·
Registered
638 Posts
It helps to put some WD40 on, as you have done, only a little between the wiper arm and the bolt. leave it an hour and reapply if needed. I found it easier when the wiper arms where upright, like you would put them when changing then, cleaning glass etc, and wiggle the end of the arm as you have a bit more leverage.

Just one thing before you do lift the arms off, usea bit of masking tape to mark where the current blades sit on the screen, so when fitting the new ones, you can get them in the same place, or at least parralel. Saves a lot of faffing about.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Undo the bolt turn it upside down and screw it back on until its flush with end of bolt. Use a wide blade screwdriver as a lever under the arm and tap the end of the bolt with a hammer. This usually shifts most and the bolt stops you damaging end of threads. If they still wont come off you're only other option is a puller. These have 2 or 3 legs with a bolt through middle you just tighten up and it pulls wioper arm up and pushes down on motor spindle, 

·
Registered
193 Posts
the way i took them off my golf was take the bolts off first.

second i closed the bonnet down

third, i tipped the arms up (as if you were changing the blades, etc)

fourth i turned the arms round (as if the car was doing a wipe)

fifth, off they came!

(all this was on a 2year old golf)

hope this is of some help mate!

·
Registered
160 Posts
I had the same problem and it was literally a matter of brute force - to start i was a little concerned about damaging the wiper motor but i gave the passengers side one a good hefty pull after applying some WD and volia! off it popped! Dont be scared to put some force in [8o|] !

·
Registered
202 Posts
I found on the drivers side, when the bonnets still up, <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>

With the wiper in its normal position,<o:p></o:p>

You push down with your wrist on the hinge of the wiper, it pops off the spine.

[Y]

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
OK then, I took your advice at lunchtime but in the end I reosrted to some mole grips and they came off very easiy!!

As you can see they are on and they look great (excuse the dirt):

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Thanks for all you help.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The wipers look good mate, and your car looks stunning for a bora. [y]
For a Bora!!! Cheers mate, I think that most people are surprised what you can do with a smiple saloon car!! She certainly turns a lot of heads when she is out and about!!

Thanks for all you comments guys.

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
The wipers look good mate, and your car looks stunning for a bora. [y]
For a Bora!!! Cheers mate, I think that most people are surprised
what you can do with a smiple saloon car!! She certainly turns a lot of
heads when she is out and about!!
The Ottinger kit goes really well with the bora, imho it's the best kit
for it. [y] Ii may be getting a bora for my next car and yours looks
exactly how i want mine thats if i choose to buy it. [:p]

Sonny