Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
GT TDI 176BHP 428NM
2,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to buy some for front windscreen and wondered how easy they are to fit?

Any info would be helpful - thanks.

GT 130

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
Absolute doddle. Remove the plastic caps on each arm pivot (don't even need a screwdriver, pull off by hand). The only difficulty you might encounter is if the factory worker that built yours tightened the nuts with an impact gun. Either that or the arm and shaft have become electrolytically welded due to road salt, but the arms will come off. The trick is not to pull straight, but push down on the pivot with one hand to stop pulling out the pivot, and use the other hand to "bend" the arm, rocking it to and fro (quite forcefully if necessary) and it will eventually just pop off. The arms have a relatively soft metal inside the holes at the pivot end, and when you tighten the nut onto the slightly conical splined shafts, the splines "cut" into the soft metal and then you have a solid join. Be careful to align you new blades correctly, stick some masking tape on the windscreen where your old wipers rested when off. You won't be able to align the passenger side exactly the same because Aero wipers are straight, not curved. I would recommend aligning the passenger side so the Aero blade rests about 1.5-2cm above your VIN plate behind the windscreen.

·
GT TDI 176BHP 428NM
2,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That was some thorough and sound advice - a man i the know it would seem.

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
You're welcome mate, and do that Polo rear wiper as well, afterwards you'll just ask yourself why you didn't do it sooner, it looks so much cleaner and modern! [:)]

·
GT TDI 176BHP 428NM
2,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Not doing the rear, i like it how it is - only gonna do the fronts as mine are needing to be sorted a bit and are really annoying me at the moment.  So thought get some new ones, why not the NEW NEW style on the audi etc...  so it was not just cosmetic.

·
Registered
890 Posts
You're welcome mate, and do that Polo rear wiper as well, afterwards you'll just ask yourself why you didn't do it sooner, it looks so much cleaner and modern! [:)]
Mines got aero blades on the front but not the back, and the time has come that the rear blade is due for replacement, so i might as well go with this polo aero option. Which model and what parts do i need, and is it cost effective and easy to do?

Cheers [Y]

·
Registered
7,468 Posts
Mines got aero blades on the front but not the back, and the time has come that the rear blade is due for replacement, so i might as well go with this polo aero option. Which model and what parts do i need, and is it cost effective and easy to do?

Cheers [Y]
Hi mate, if you look on www.vagparts.com they do the Polo rear wiper with arm, blade, cap and new screwnut for less than ?20. I found also that I didn't need to modify the cap so that it doesn't touch the rear glass like a lot of people have had to do [:)] hope that helps!

·
Registered
890 Posts
Hi mate, if you look on www.vagparts.com they do the Polo rear wiper with arm, blade, cap and new screwnut for less than ?20. I found also that I didn't need to modify the cap so that it doesn't touch the rear glass like a lot of people have had to do [:)] hope that helps!
Thanks for the info mate, sounds a good price does that! I'll look into doing the swap in the next couple of weeks! [Y]

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
Try Shaq for the rear wiper, he can do em for less than the ?20-

The rear wiper is defiantly one of the best daily driver aid's I have done to the car! Loads more efficient than the original blade, as in it will clear the screen completely in just one wipe!! And with the weather the way it is at the moment, what more can you want!!

Defiantly need to do the front ones now...

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
I agree with Sean as in it clears the screen really well.Its also looks way better than the standard fare[:D]

Does anyone know how much Shaq does the front aeros for? as i'm considering getting a set myself

GOOF

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
I agree with Sean as in it clears the screen really well.Its also looks way better than the standard fare[:D]

Does anyone know how much Shaq does the front aeros for? as i'm considering getting a set myself

GOOF
Mine were about £64 from Shaq. [:)]

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
Ahh, I'm sure that i've seen em cheaper elsewhere, but can't remember for the life of me where! They weren't massivly cheaper, £58 or something if i remember correctly! Next month's pocket money I think!

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Just got some of these myself.... Rear one pops the cover off though for some reason... How do I stop this problem?
You need to cut back the face of the "cup" using emery paper or similar. Hold the cap and rub it on the emery until you've removed enough material to stop it catching on the glass.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts