Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I'm back! Been away for almost three years I think. A testament to the reliability of the mk4!

Anyhow that being said I got an advisory for a heavily corroded subframe and lower arms. It just looks like the paint and very top surface is corroded.

Would it be advisable (pun intended) to get a wire brush in there and paint over with something to slow it down? Or am I barking up the wrong tree?

Any suggestions greatly appreciated

Thanks

·
Registered
295 Posts
Depends how big a job you want to make of it but I was replacing and upgrading all sorts so I dropped the whole lot down and out and stripped it right back to bare metal......then gave it a coat of POR15, the insides of the sub-frame were treated with a chassis treatment from an aerosol that killed rust (after being thoroughly cleaned out and wire brushed where I could get to it) - I think it was a Frost or Eastwood product which had a long tube attachment for getting into chassis parts. Did the same to the lower arms, it all came up surprisingly well. If it's corroded to the point where it's holed you might be better off replacing it....

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Excellent thanks. just had a look at that POR15. That looks like the stuff I need!

EDIT: That Lanoguard looks pretty clever too! I wonder if anyone on here has used it?

·
Registered
11,369 Posts
POR15 is the stuff i would use... but i've also used Hamerite smooth metal paint to prevent the lot from going bad... the Lanoguard stuff i have used on a boat... the thing is it's like a thick wax and needs to be redone yearly... POR15 if not directly exposed to sunlight lasts for a long time.. especially on subframes etc it can last for years... but stone chips etc can chip it off.... I used it on shock-absorbers bodies too and was actually going to repaint the rear springs on my daily with it too but haven't done them yet. thanks for asking as you ust reminded me to pull my fingers out and sort them springs ;)

·
NooNoo
9,495 Posts
I bought a new sub frame and then used 2 cans of promoter and about another 5 cans of halfords spray enamel.
About £300 for the subframe and £50 in cans. Needless to say my mk4 is still perfect underneath.

This was a super extravagant rebuild of the whole underside of my car including cast arms. See my build thread.

The original 1998 subframe was tired but wire brushing and stuff mentioned above would have easily sufficed.

:)

Reactions: Edvardo
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.