Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hiya ive been reading up in the search but aint had much luck on whats good for my golf.

i want my car secure from them thiefs, but not sure if the standard oem alarm is upto scratch, as ive read reports on the watchdog etc,( i know its old news but i just not too long purchased my first golf)

frim ur experience could u please tell me is it worth getting a clifford, toad, or upgrade my standard alarm(how da hell)....i do want to get this done as soon as i get good advise as i have money waiting, as i live in a crime infested area

thanks for help...

·
Registered
108 Posts
My car is an import and didn't even have an alarm!!![:O]

Since then I've had a Toad Ai606 system fitted with microwave sensor on top of the standard immobiliser and also delocked it.

If you do a search you'll probably find the vw alarm is more than upto the job.

·
Registered
216 Posts
hi mate,

I can reccommend a Toad Ai 606 aswell, a good quality bit of kit and it has a good reputation, the only thing about an aftermarket alarm is if you have a factory VW alarm the two can counteract eachother. The Toad unlocks the doors but if you open the door the VW alarm hasnt been deactivated and thinks its getting broken into. I have to press the toad alarm to unlock then i press the VW keyfob to deactivate the VW alarm!!!!!

There may be a way of deactivating the VW alarm but the guy that fitted mine couldnt figure it out, and nobody on the forum was able to help at the time. If it confused the guys that fitted it, im sure a theif will be just as confused if they were to try and disarm it!!

In my own experience i would stay away from Clifford alarms, they seem to have more problems than other makes, anyone got any experience with systems other that Toad?

·
Registered
216 Posts
It is possible to upgrade the VW alarm to a CAT1 using Toad or other parts. A tracker might be a better idea if vehicles in your area get nicked alot as opposed to just getting broken into??

·
Registered
232 Posts
i have a clifford fitted to mine, but as it's just the 1.4 i didn't go for the thatcham cat1 concepts, insted i have the cheaper one the arrow 5, but upgrading it when cash flow allows getting a dual prox. and tilt sencors, i recomend it, my brother has the concept 650 i think it is on his evo VI he swears by it (still takes his head unit off though the loser lmao)

Antony

·
Registered
4,733 Posts
This is something a colleague of mine has been working on - www.trackit.bt.com

You have a credit card style transponder that syncs with the tracker, if your keys get nicked (which 9/10 times is how they'll try stealing your car) then it alerts the police and they are on the max responce alert. They also have a facility to shut down your ECU whilst the car is on the move - so if they're chasing scum, they can bring them to a halt, rather than have your car bent round a tree in a pursuit.

I can get 10% off too, if anyone's interested?

·
Registered
232 Posts
would it not be easyer to just have an anti hijack fitted so when they press the break they have 10secs to imput the code and after 30secs the break lights flash to warn cars behind you and the engine cuts out? i don't understand the differance could u explain mate?

·
Registered
4,733 Posts
would it not be easyer to just have an anti hijack fitted so when they press the break they have 10secs to imput the code and after 30secs the break lights flash to warn cars behind you and the engine cuts out? i don't understand the differance could u explain mate?
Well yes, there's lots of options, but I don't know exactly how the others work. The decision to do it this way was based on 2 factors:

• Most jackings are done violently, so if they get 50 yards down the road and realise it's stopping there's a risk they're going to come back for you to disarm it by whatever means they deem necessary depending on how badly they want the car.
  • Police ideally want to catch them in the car, this way they can pinpoint the car and stop it in a controlled manner when they deem it safe to do so. Failing that and say they abandon it in a quiet cul-de-sac whilst it cools down, the police will secure it and you can recover the car.

·
Registered
487 Posts
hi mate,

I can reccommend a Toad Ai 606 aswell, a good quality bit of kit and
it has a good reputation, the only thing about an aftermarket
alarm is if you have a factory VW alarm the two can counteract
eachother. The Toad unlocks the doors but if you open the door
the VW alarm hasnt been deactivated and thinks its
getting broken into. I have to press the toad alarm to unlock then i
press the VW keyfob to deactivate the VW alarm!!!!!

There may be a way of deactivating the VW alarm but the guy that
fitted mine couldnt figure it out, and nobody on the forum was able to
help at the time. If it confused the guys that fitted it, im sure
a theif will be just as confused if they were to try and disarm it!!

In my own experience i would stay away from Clifford alarms, they
seem to have more problems than other makes, anyone got any experience
with systems other that Toad?
There is a device that i've seen that you must purchase with an
aftermarket alarm system to disable the standard security. Any
decent alarm fitter should know about this.

Also most Golfs are actually taken directly from the owners or from
keys stolen from houses - Having been a member on here for a while
(Before the ukmk4 site releaunch) i have seen a lot of other members
stories. So yes maybe a tracker is best. I wouldn't want to
make it difficult so that someone would want to get into my house to
drive the car away.

·
Registered
216 Posts
"There is a device that i've seen that you must purchase with an aftermarket alarm system to disable the standard security. Any decent alarm fitter should know about this."

my alarm fitter couldnt have been very decent then. Nobody on the forum mentioned anything about this device at the time so i assume it was not very well known at the time, has anyone heard of this device before or does anyone else have information about this device for the good and benifit of the forum?

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
I would have no hesitation in recommending Clifford system, had them on every car I've owned except my current Bora, and ironically my Bora got broken into nearly 2 months ago.  Thought the VW one would do.  It did go off and scare the thieving little sh*ts away, but not after they wrecked the door lock and smashed the rear quarter light.  I would definately recommend de-locking your car (I have now done this), not only does it look cool, but theres now nowhere for the gits to stick their screwdrivers.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
peeps that was more than enough advise that i bargined for, i really appreciate the advise given, so its out of the toad clifford or tracker(the bt looks promising but question, is it stable)???? or are they only good at what they do best connecting people with landline services?

but first things first de-lock thanks all [:D]

jay

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
I've been looking into this a lot recently as my car only has the VW immobiliser and no alarm. As far as I can tell, the VW immobiliser is a Thatcham2 device and so I have been considering a Thatcham2 to Thatcham1 upgrade. That is an alarm that comes without any immobiliser features since those are there already. I found a couple of likely products but unfortunately I left all the details in the UK and will not be back for another week or so. A Google search should reveal a couple of likely candidates though.

In my case I am not keen on having several remotes and would very much like to be able to do everything from my VW one but I have not been able to determine whether that is possible. I'm also going to be looking at all the tracking options and have had a quick glance at the BT one already. Having been spoilt by living overseas for the past few years, all this car crime stuff and the need for security is really demoralising. I also reckon that there is the possibility that tracker could backfire on you in the event of a car-jacking situation but I'm not willing to say any more on a public forum.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Don't know whether they are any good but you could have a look at these upgrade products:

Toad C4T Thatcham Category 2-1 Upgrade Alarm
AUTOWATCH 161 RLi

·
Registered
487 Posts
"There is a device that i've seen that you must
purchase with an aftermarket alarm system to disable the standard
security. Any decent alarm fitter should know about this."

my alarm fitter couldnt have been very decent then. Nobody on
the forum mentioned anything about this device at the time so i assume
it was not very well known at the time, has anyone heard of this device
before or does anyone else have information about this device
for the good and benifit of the forum?
Don't get your Y-Fronts in a knot!!

I'm not an alarm fitter mate - however I have been informed by a fully
qualified fitter, of a device that can be fitted to stop the conflict
of alarm systems. I have also seen them in passing when generally
browsing. Just thought of it when I saw this forum that's all -
Thought it may help but obviously not!

Think - You must be able to do it otherwise remote starting modules would not be possible!!!!

These people do a similar type of product to give you an idea =
http://www.datatronsolutions.co.uk/alarmacc.html

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
koolio i'll give that a lookie, so basicly u and reido are saying i can have my standard golf alarm and get something like toad and it'll work or 1 button/or just not interfere with each other, provided i get this module?????

sounds good

1 - 18 of 18 Posts