Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have a Sony HU? What are your opinions on how well it integrates with the VW Golf dash?

I am looking to keep everything looking OEM and am looking at the Sony CDX-F7750 in black. http://i2.ebayimg.com/04/i/06/21/1e/80_2.JPG

The main reason for this is that I want to attach a Sony HD5 mp3 player to a Sony HU using a part from the Connects2 range. http://www.connects2.com/images/prodimages/sonywkm/prodview/CTASONWHD001.jpg

The alternative is to keep the Gamma, sell the 6 CD changer as I cannot use the CD changer and mp3 player at the same time... but who uses a cassette player these days? Having CD capability as an extra is nice.

Anyone got me some advise? Thanks!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hi there

I'm looking to fit exactly the Same to my 51 TDI SE. It's got the factory CD player & Cassete player in at the moment.

Do they act as 2 independant units, or if I replace the Factory CD unit with the Sony 7750 one will it feed through the radio/cassete player?

Also, I presumed that the 51 reg Golf would have a standard ISO socket so I can literally remove the Factory and plug in the Sony unit without buggering around with wiring?

Any tips would be great.

Regards

·
Super Moderator
50,205 Posts
Do they act as 2 independant units, or if I replace the Factory CD unit with the Sony 7750 one will it feed through the radio/cassete player?

Also, I presumed that the 51 reg Golf would have a standard ISO socket so I can literally remove the Factory and plug in the Sony unit without buggering around with wiring?
Although the factory CD player works with the factory head unit,and the two aren't independant (the CD player has no speaker level outputs),I seem to remember that the lead between the two units is just power in,and signal out,but possibly some sort of data as well,that MAY mean the CD won't work by itself.

You have a few extra wires,such as a 2nd permanent live,and "K" line wire,which if you just plug a standard aftermarket ISO into it,COULD cause problems if you're not 100% sure of what you're doing,although Autoleads do make a standard ISO > VW ISO adaptor that makes it all plug and play.Oh and of course the aerial needs to be powered up a well,so about another ?15 or so to spend on another adaptor.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hi there Imagewerx.

Thanks for the speedy reply!

Basically, I want a new HU which will enable me to fully utilise the factory speakers (however I may upgrade at a later date) give me further sound functions & quaility and also allow me to use the AUX input link in my Sony HI MD player - (Does anyone know of an adapter so that as well as sound it will also input the ID3 tags - my track titles - Is this possible simple through an AUX input?)

What would be peoples' recommendations? I want to keep the cassette player and may decide to sort out a changer in the future.

Also what do you mean by powering up the Aerial? Last time I tinkered it was with a Corsa and I could just plug the new unit in!

My aim was to keep things nice and tidy and subtle so that I don't upset my better half when she realises I've been tinkering!!!

Many thanks in anticipation!

·
Super Moderator
50,205 Posts
You won't be able to pass the data needed down the AUX input needed to show the ID3 tags as this is purely for audio only.The current range of iPod compatible head units from Alpine etc.not only play the audio,but they also charge it,they treat it as a CD changer giving you full remote track s election etc,and full acess to all album titles,playlists etc.

Veedubs have an amplifier built into the base of the aerial that can only be powered by sending power up the coax from the head unit,which the OEM one does by itself,but with aftermarket ones you have to add the adaptor to do this job.If you don't do this,you get no reception at all on MW,and reduced reception on FM.

·
Super Moderator
50,205 Posts
I'm not sure what an HI minidisc player actually is,but insted of using all these fancy external units to store and play music,why not just get one simple in dash head unit that can play MP3s burnt to CD?The quality is better,without having to take anything other than the faceplate with you when you lock up for the night.You can get about 200 songs on one CD-R,or how about the new Giga DVD players that can store audio tracks on DVD,with up to 1000 tracks on one nice cheap disc.

The aerial amplifier adaptor plugs in the back of the new head unit,and is about 2 1/2in long,and about 1/2 in diameter with a couple of inches of coax on one end.

·
Registered
20 Posts
A HI Minidisc is just like a regular minidisc player but the discs for it store 1GB worth of stuff. The quality is better than an MP3 and means that I've got something portable.

Do you lose any of the quality through an AUX input. I can't imagine you do?

I've still got the original problem though which is; How do I install my new Sony HU?

Thinking last night, I presume at the moment, the factory CD player works as a "Slave" to the main head unit - the cassette player - So is there any reason why I can't take both units out, put my new HU where the radio/cassette was, and then "slave" the radio/cassette to the new HU?

Thanks again for all your help!

·
Super Moderator
50,205 Posts
Thinking last night, I presume at the moment, the factory CD player works as a "Slave" to the main head unit - the cassette player - So is there any reason why I can't take both units out, put my new HU where the radio/cassette was, and then "slave" the radio/cassette to the new HU?
If the new head unit has Aux in will be the easiest way,if not you'll have to use four changeover relays in the speaker wires triggered by the remote wire.Oh and yes to Aux in having about 99% of the quality of an onboard source.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I see what you're saying but I wanted the AUX input on the HU free as I'm planning to subtly have a wire coming out from underneath the dash board, so I can connect my Minidisc player as and when I want.

Thinking about it, we have only really used the Cassette a couple of times, so I'm thinking about removing that altogether and just having the CD player, with the option of installing a CD Changer at a later date if I want.

I think I was a bit reluctant to do it because it's my family car and don't really want to bugger about with it too much with Subs etc - Although my 3 month daughter Loves bassy music!!

Doing that though presents a second problem:

I know with some Golfs there is only one HU unit bit in and a little storage hole where my second unit is. If I just had the one unit in, it would be a bottomless hole... I expect you can buy something to fit in the hole, which provides you with a bottom to it?

Also, does anyone know of an OEM looking cover so that if I so wish, there is door in front of this hole? Like a mini glove box?

Apologies if these all sound stupid questions, but I want to get this right so the missus is happy with it too - And as we all know, the general thing with our better halfs is that they consentrate on colour and aethetics much more than quality and functionality!!

AND if I can get this right, it means that next time I want to start tinkering, it'll take less persuasion!

·
Super Moderator
50,205 Posts
I see what you're saying but I wanted the AUX input on the HU free as I'm planning to subtly have a wire coming out from underneath the dash board, so I can connect my Minidisc player as and when I want.
It is possible to have two Aux inputs,if you get a head unit that already has one anyway,then use one of the adaptors that fools the H/U into thinking it's got a changer plugged into it,such as the Sony that then lets you put external audio into the BUS audio in,no good if you want to plug a changer into it of course.But with all that external memory anyway,why would you want to?

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
I just need to find a CD holder now! I can only seem to find the cassette holder! Any ideas anyone?
Trawl through some US sites dealing with VW accessories. I am sure I've seen one in the past and it was most likely on one of those.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I must be out of luck then, as I canny find one.

Just that and the Signal booster... Anyone had good experience from buying from certain company?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts