Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4,628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bit weird sounding I know.. I'm working on valeting the interior of the car today, and the pedals are in serious need of some attention....

Standard mk5 GTI pedals... So chomey type finish and rubber... What to clean with??

I've heard toothbrushes and nailbrushes mentioend before, but that seems a bit harsh for the chromey finish... So what do you guys suggest??

Also, clean with what, anything in particular?? Washing up liquid, boggo std car shampoo, something else??

Roll on the real summer when they won't get into this mess [:cool:]

Ta peeps

C

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
A toothbrush wont cause any harm at all.  Just make sure whatever you use you make sure you wipe all the residue off, you don't want slippery pedals.

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
good question, and to be fair, something i always seem to neglect too.

personally, i'd opt for the toothbrush option with car shampoo solution, as after all, i would suggest a wheel brush, BUT, that would soak the carpet due to the amount of water they hold.

once they are clean, a damp MF as suggested above should do the trick.

but dont use qucik detailer on them as obviously they hold a certain amount of wax.

·
Registered
4,628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you gentlemen for all your input, much appreciated... I shall be going to find my old toothbrush shortly to take out with some car wash solution to see what we get [y]

Cheers [y]

C

EDIT: make that w/up liquid actually, the car wash stuff i have is slippery as hell too [;)]

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
A better option, so you dont use up precious energy, would be to spray the soles of your feet with lots of furniture polish before you drive off to work [Y]

·
Registered
4,628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
A man of my precious size, doesn't have precious energy, there's plenty of it to burn mate... But I like your thinking lol [h] [y]

C

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
Gunk Ultra degreaser from Halfords (?4.99 or so) will also do nicely, leaves a matt sheen, and is also good for taking crud off the textured part of lower sills and as a first stage cleaner for when you're crawling underneath the car fitting suspension parts and want it to look nice for photos [Y]

·
Registered
233 Posts
Looks much better.... just need to hover it out now [;)]

Is that a MK5? thats a funky accel pedal.
Cheeky! but true, yes it's a mk5 gti, that was the pedal's 1st clean after 14 months, it does get a vac, but not as often as the bodywash

·
Registered
233 Posts
A better option, so you dont use up precious energy, would be to spray the soles of your feet with lots of furniture polish before you drive off to work [Y]
Nearly not as daft as it sounds, those plastic overshoes may actually do the trick, ;-p

·
Registered
4,628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
You'll get the same result with a bit of saopy water and a cloth. I've the same pedals fitted in my audi and thats how I clean them off.

J.
Had a cloth, toothbrush and jug of washing up liquied water. Cloth was fairly useless, toothbrush did the job a righ ttreat on pedals as well as surrounding plastics. Mine looked virtually as good as Avanti's up there - except mine got a hoover lol [;)]

C

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
Looks much better.... just need to hover it out now [;)]

Is that a MK5? thats a funky accel pedal.
Cheeky! but true, yes it's a mk5 gti, that was the pedal's 1st clean after 14 months, it does get a vac, but not as often as the bodywash
[:D]

Yeah im the same I dont hover the car out for a month or two at a time I cant stand hovering it does my head in!
Last time I done it I got abit carried away. I used a 12v car vaccum for about 3 hours [:|] and completley forgot that I was using the car battery to power it, yeah at the end went to go for a drive and it wouldnt start. lol

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
Had a cloth, toothbrush and jug of washing up liquied water. Cloth was fairly useless, toothbrush did the job a righ ttreat on pedals as well as surrounding plastics. Mine looked virtually as good as Avanti's up there - except mine got a hoover lol [;)]

C
I must use a cloth and washing up liquid more than you do then [:D]

·
Registered
4,628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

C
I must use a cloth and washing up liquid more than you do then [:D]
Twice in 11 months? [:$]

Will be thrice in 12 tho?? [^o)]

C

1 - 18 of 18 Posts