Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I've been reading this forum for a while, while looking for a MK1V. I have just test driven a car.

It was immaculate, great colour, totally unmarked body and wheels with a leather interior and 3dr which really sold it to me. It also have a full main dealer history.

The problem is he wont budge on price, all he will offer is full service, vallet, 6 months tax and 3 months warrenty on parts and labour.

What do you guys think? The dealer knew his golfs had 4 or 5 MK4 GTI's

The car was only in today and I dont want to loose.

http://www.exchangeandmart.co.uk/fulladview/fulladview.php?id=uap-em-rcp6-20051014/cars/-101/78-6/34459156.txt~Car~1985112~ATR~05544~~~N~5991~10~~~F+L+C+Yiewsley~~~http%3A%2F%2Fwww.exchangeandmart.co.uk%2Fsearch%2Fcar_search.php%3Fquerytype%3Ddealer%26dealerid%3D05544%26sortspec%3DMakeName%2Basc%2BModelName%2Basc%2BPrice%2Basc%26showphotos%3DY~&make=VOLKSWAGEN&model=GOLF&code=771fe041b810291442d3a927ff15a10e&cl=5544

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
There's a 1.6 SE near me going privately for ?4,650. Similar mileage, steel wheels, standard cloth interior. Paint in surprisingly good condition for its age and being left on the street. So the offer you had isn't that bad in comparison. I remember considering a second hand 1.6 SE and the one I saw the owner wanted ?10K, I thought stuff that and bought one new.

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
Hi mate. Welcome to the forum. [:D]

The 2.0 petrol has 115bhp as against the earlier GTi 1.8 20v engines 125bhp. If that is specifically the car you want and you think it is a fair price for that car (look at www.autotrader.co.uk for similar ones) then go for it.

Bear in mind the 2.0 is not that tunable and neither is it particularly economical. If you are looking for performance you may be better inclined with a 1.8T Golf or if economy is important, a TDi110/115 can be had for that money.

Either that or you could go for a slightly older 1.8 20v Golf with 10bhp more as there are more around than there are 2.0's. The 2.0 is more torquey but the 1.8 is faster in figures as far as i remember.

Sorry if that is no help.

·
Registered
811 Posts
if your looking for a 2.0 then buy buy buy that looks lovely!! loving the leather, i have a 2.0L and yes its not a fast as 1.8T but i love it, i drives soooooooooo nice and is actually very nippy and nice lot of toque really concidering its only 115bhp, engine has a nice tone to it as well.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Agreed. It's not the fastest, but as i've said before 1.8 N/A's have never caused my motor any bother. Think you have to ring the N/A 20v's neck to get 125 out of it. TBH, i'm not being funny or anything, but my car doesn't feel like it only has 115. It's done 60k now and from what i hear these engines start to get better around this mileage.

Driving wise i feel that it is nippy enough around town, and it's great on long m/way trips. I get high 30's on M/way but can get as low as 22mpgish around town. So not 'that' economic, but bearable.

It could do with extra power around 3k i feel, anyway. I personally think this engine is bullet proof and loves to be thrashed. Like sugar's, it sounds quite good as well. (Hear the 20v is a bit like a hairdryer though?)

Will get a bad rap on here as it's not as tunable, but i didn't buy it for that anyway.

Do you want a list of things that are common to break with the car or are you aware of the common faults?

That car looks nice.

·
Registered
811 Posts
I agree Craig, the engine loves to be thrashed you can go threw the gears all the way up to the red line and the sound is lovely. [Y]

engine under load sounds even better, deep rumble!! and being an 8 valve you can drive in 5th gear at 25mph and the engine doesnt complain as it loves low revs as well as high revs.

The 2.0L engine get [email protected] off alot but i think the only thing that could be different is a few extra ponies under the bonnet [Y]

·
Registered
476 Posts
Very true Sugar. 8v for me. Any 20v engine is just Gay. Hahahaha.

I noticed this as well under load. How old is yours then (probably on your sig), mines a 2001, got it on 40k, now on 60 and i think it's driving better all of the time.

Someone on here said to avoid the engine as it lacked response and sounded crap etc etc. I'm thinking this was MAF related maybe as mine revs freely? Mine got a new MAF and TB clean recently and it was a lot better, but wasn't as bad to start really.

·
Registered
811 Posts
mines a V- reg so its about 6yrs old i think and its on 101k miles and still drives like a dream.

bought it 2yrs ago with 77k and its a bit of a work horse, yes i had a MAF problem, it went like poo, but as soon as i changed the MAF It was like a different car!!!

also i find the engine very responsive really [Y]

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi Guys

Thanks for all you responses - Didnt realise I was going to cause a debate here!

I had and 8v MK3 and loved it, this felt much the same, a good solid drive.

Think I'm going to buy this one,. Im not one for modifing (not since the old beetle days!) just looking for a clean MK4 - I say that now, but love some of the stuff thats going on this website has got me thinking.

Thanks

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
[:)]A guy at my work has a 2.0 GTi mk4 and loves it. They are quite quick really, Oh, and his is badged 2.0.

Good luck mate. Hope you get the car if thats what you set your heart on

·
Registered
476 Posts
Sorry about the quality and dirt! This is about the only rear view (of the car! LOL) i have on the 'puter. Mine has GTI 2.0 on the back, although i have seen just 2.0 and also GTI with 1.8 below etc etc. Badges are/were a lottery.

Posted Image

Like the new pic Horace as well, nice.

·
Registered
476 Posts
It was up in Scotland in February, i used the pic on the 'show us your'....post as well, i actually don't have that many of the car.

I was driving down past Loch Laggan (where they film Monarch of the Glen - i don't watch this!!) and i got flashed by tourists (yanks) to pull in. Get out and they wanted me to take their photo with the scenery etc. I was getting back to the car and thougth 'what a mess', i'll take a quick one. Light wasn't right etc so it's hard to see it properly (good excuse!). The photo actually makes the car look cleaner than it was, it was basically a nice brown striped type colour.

Car is normally spotless(ish), but up there, especially in winter it's a waste of time cleaning it. They say silver hides the dirt as well[:p]

1 - 20 of 25 Posts