Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks,

I just discovered a previous owner has removed the LEDs from cluster for ABS/AIRBAG and traction control. Was hoping to find tape or blutac but nope. Anyway, I need to get an immo3 set of clocks. The question I have is on my car the coil light is also the EML light. Can I swap for clocks that have a separate EML light or does it need to be the same?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Diesel? I had it in my head that immo3 were late and therefore had an EML but I'm probably full of glue.
It's a September 2001 Pd130, definitely immo3 cluster has the 6 on end code. Doesn't have EML just coil light which acts as EML.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Could really do with a definitive answer to this ASAP if anyone knows. I want to order a replacement, Ive searched high and low for an answer to this but cannot seem to find one. Really don't want to waste time buying one and it's no good.

·
Registered
10,827 Posts
Dude just get a replacement or even cheaper split the cluster and put the lights back... ps if you buy a replacement for a diesel it should have the EML light especially if you buy it from one of the later models (2003) but if i was in your shoes i would deffo just put the lights back in cheapest solution and easiest solution.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Dude just get a replacement or even cheaper split the cluster and put the lights back... ps if you buy a replacement for a diesel it should have the EML light especially if you buy it from one of the later models (2003) but if i was in your shoes i would deffo just put the lights back in cheapest solution and easiest solution.
[/QUOTE.
I will have a crack at trying to repair mine, but I think there's a little black rectangle resistor thing missing on back. I have no idea where to get one if these from it that is the case. Check pic where I've circled, looks like something missing to me.
Circuit component Green Blue Passive circuit component Electronic engineering

·
Registered
10,827 Posts
Seems like nothing is missing to me... I would just put in the missing lights and test to see if the lot lights up if it does job done.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Seems like nothing is missing to me... I would just put in the missing lights and test to see if the lot lights up if it does job done.
If you zoom in a look closely you can see the blobs of glue. I can see the same blobs of glue on the corners of the other black rectangle block's so this tells me there's one missing, I'm 99% sure of it. If I can get that missing piece I'll try fix but otherwise no point wasting time on it knowing a piece is missing.

·
Registered
10,827 Posts
Than get another one that is working properly code it in and be done with it... I have no idea if you can get that part separately and if you can who actually does sell them... I also don't know what it is called but since VDO is the manufacturer you could try and browse their website you might be lucky...

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
It's a dual switching diode, can be purchased from any electrical component supplier, such as RS components or Farnell.

Whether it's missing or not is difficult to tell, there is what looks to be flux on two of the pads, but the other looks clean so I'm not sure.

You can buy the exact one if you can get the code off of it (if there is one readable), then get the bulbs too. Either buy them separate or get a scrap cluster and pull components off that.

Alternatively, as above, get a cluster with an identical p/n and code it, then you don't have to worry about compatibility or repairing.

·
Registered
240 Posts
It's a dual switching diode, can be purchased from any electrical component supplier, such as RS components or Farnell.

Whether it's missing or not is difficult to tell, there is what looks to be flux on two of the pads, but the other looks clean so I'm not sure.

You can buy the exact one if you can get the code off of it (if there is one readable), then get the bulbs too. Either buy them separate or get a scrap cluster and pull components off that.

Alternatively, as above, get a cluster with an identical p/n and code it, then you don't have to worry about compatibility or repairing.
Always keen to learn about electronic wizardry - how do you know what it is? How can you not see if it's missing or not? What am I missing here?!! Obviously a basic understanding of circuits for one thing I guess!

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Always keen to learn about electronic wizardry - how do you know what it is? How can you not see if it's missing or not? What am I missing here?!! Obviously a basic understanding of circuits for one thing I guess!
To figure out what it is, I looked at the fact there's three pads there, and thought about which components can have three legs on them. The first two that came to mind were a transistor, or a dual switching diode. I then just looked online to see which variants of the two can match what the similar components in the area look like (because unfortunately I don't have a catalogue of components in my brain).

To figure out if it's missing, you can see the two pads on the right don't look completely uniform and have stuff on them that looks like flux (a liquid/paste that is used when soldering to clean off impurities and make the joint more solid), but the one on the left does look uniform and clean. I don't know whether the cluster manufacturers tin (apply solder to) all the pads on their PCBs (printed circuit boards) before assembling, but assuming they do then those two should look nice and uniform like the one on the left. A reason they would tin the pads is if they use the same PCBs for diesel and petrol cars, and that either type of car requires using different traces on the PCB for different functions. Although, in cases like that, some manufacturers would just leave it as the bare copper pad, so I'm not sure. So to summarise for this particular PCB, the pads on the right could've just been badly tinned, or they could be disturbed as a result of removing something. That could be left over flux, or that could be the bare copper pad showing from underneath.

I did a couple electronics modules at uni, and I like to play around with this stuff in my free time so I've got a small bit of understanding of circuits, but I'm by no means claiming to be an expert.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts