Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking about upgrading my car, I've had my current Golf mkIV S1.4 for 4 years now and I think it's time for a change. After looking at various other competitors (Focus, Astra, Mazda3 etc) I've come to the conclusion I want to stick with the Golf, and after sitting in a MkV for the first time at my dealer the other day I knew straight away that it had to be my next car!

After weighing up each of the current offerings I've pretty much decided the best bet for me is the Golf Sport 1.6. I was just at the point of trying to way up what extra's I wanted, which I was going to ask you guys about, i.e. I wasn't going to get the "armrest" but I've heard people on this forum say it's a must and makes the interior look much better (any links to pics of the interior with and without?)

But I digress, the real reason behind this topic is not what options to have but when to buy. The reason I ask this is that I've heard talk on her that the Golf MkV is changing shape soon, and from what I understand the 2007 model (which is out next March right?) will have a new shape.

Now I have seen a picture from a foreign site that has previews of upcoming VW's, and sure enough there was a picture of the Golf convertible, the Golf R32, and the Golf MkV (2007 model). The biggest change is at the front and it appears that the Golf will now look more like the Passat, and after seeing the new front and comparing it to existing version I have to say I do prefer the new model, I think it looks more aggressive.

So if a new model indeed comes out in March, then I'd be a fool to get it now. The problem is I can't find any "official" news on the model change on UK sites, I've seen that the R32 is coming out which will be the different shape, the US version that is coming out which will also be the new shape, but nothing to indicate that the common or garden UK variety will also take this new shape?

Could someone confirm if the standard MkV models (i.e. the Sport 1.6) will adopt the new shape for their 2007 model in the UK. If so, when will the new 2007 model be available to order/preorder?

·
Registered
183 Posts
Whichever New motor you choose now, regardless of manufacturer, there will always be another facelift or new model on its way to outdate your chosen one, thats how the Car makers make their money. The mark V will be around for another 5 or so years, only facelifts until then will change the character of the car. So if you keep on waiting for the next new facelift/new model you would never actually buy a new car because you are always waiting for----------

Get the Idea!

·
Registered
204 Posts
My advice would be don't worry about facelifts any time soon, they will
be subtle cosmetic touch-ups and in some cases (newest GTI?), they are
not always better. I would buy a pre-registered car to save a
little money (or see if you can get a good discount) and enjoy the new
car.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
These are the pictures I've seen of the supposed 2007 model.

Posted Image

Posted Image

When you compare it to the current front, I think I prefer it. What do you think?

Posted Image

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
The Golf will not be changing next year.

The MKIV barely changed at all during its life. The MKV will be no different.

·
Registered
2,063 Posts

Without wishing to leap up and denounce your statement Irish, how can you be so sure? The picture is from a relaible Dutch web site and shows a Golf with minor upgrades to the front grille and air intake. Not a major 'face-lift' but different nonetheless.

If this is indeed the 2007 model it will not be seen until July/August next year. In my opinion its worth waiting for confirmation but the 'official' UK sites are unlikely to give it until very close the time of the change.

·
Registered
2,735 Posts

Without wishing to leap up and denounce your statement Irish, how can you be so sure? The picture is from a relaible German web site and shows a Golf with minor upgrades to the front frille and air intake. Not a major 'face-lift' but different nonetheless.

If this is indeed the 2007 model it will not be seen until July/August next year. In my opinion its worth waiting for confirmation but the 'official' UK sites are unlikely to give it until very close the time of the change.
For one thing that is a dutch website not german. I do not expect VW to make changes as broad as those above so early in the life of the model. They never have in the past, as it would affect residuals, which is one of the few jumps that VW have over their competitors. I say buy one now don't worry about future models or you will never buy a car.

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
For one thing that is a dutch website not german. I do not expect VW to make changes as broad as those above so early in the life of the model. They never have in the past, as it would affect residuals, which is one of the few jumps that VW have over their competitors. I say buy one now don't worry about future models or you will never buy a car.
Thanks - I have changed it. I do not think they are big changes at all. Just subtle styling upgrades to the nose. VW have already officially announced the R32 with a much more different front end.

I am not sure that now is a good time to order a Golf, the new R32 and GT 170 models are on the way (plus the problem of what to do with the current UK GT model) and the possibility of this upgrade next year.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I think they're taking an educated guess about what a 2007 model like look like - a la Auto Express (and they'll probably print these pictures in the mag with a headline saying 'Scoop! Bold new face of 2007 Golf')

The front end you can see in the picture is a direct lift off a 2005 Jetta - it's natural that VW want to have a family look so this is not an unreasonable assumption for what a facelifted Golf might look like.

LED rear lights are generally becoming more common in the VW range and MKV Golf owners have been lusting after them especially since the Golf Plus came out with them. Again, to tease us a little they've grafted these on to the rear to get us a bit more excited....

It's difficult to say if there will be a facelift - the MKIV never had one but then again a few years ago the VW never had a coherant family look (re new grill and lights on current Passat and Polo).

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
I can be so sure because VW didn't do it to the MKIII, they didn't do it to the MKIV and they won't do it to the MKV.

Why have such a fuss about the new GTI for example and then change it so drastically at the front a little over a year into production?

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
I can be so sure because VW didn't do it to the MKIII, they didn't do it to the MKIV and they won't do it to the MKV.

Why have such a fuss about the new GTI for example and then change it so drastically at the front a little over a year into production?
Exactly, I'm with you here, why make a big fuss in the marketing of retaining the iconic image of the Mk1, 'the orignal updated' and then go and make changes to it. Icons don't change!

There'll be a spec change maybe but nothing more.

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
The front end you can see in the picture is a direct lift off a 2005 Jetta
No - its actually different - count the fins in the grilles and look at the chrome trim above the lower intake, its wider on the Jetta. The 'new' look front end looks good to me - I hope its for real.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The front end you can see in the picture is a direct lift off a 2005 Jetta
No - its actually different - count the fins in the grilles and look
at the chrome trim above the lower intake, its wider on the Jetta. The
'new' look front end looks good to me - I hope its for real.
That's true, that was my first thought, but as you can see it's
different from both the Jetta and R32, if you look at all the pics they
have listed the current Golf is the odd one out, so it would make sense
to change it to match. Besides if it's a photochop, it's the best one I've ever seen...

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I'm a bit disapointed that it won't be out until July/August though, I
thought the 2007 would be on the 06 reg, does that mean I'll have to
wait for the 56 reg, if I wait :( I'm not in a desperate rush, but I
want to get a new one before my next service/MOT.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Irish- Mk2 was facelifted a few years in - side mirrors moved to the front of the doors. Mk3 was changed a few years in as well. Move from square side repeaters and aerial position on to roof.. MkIV was pencilled in for a change as well but sales were too good to justify. Remember reading that in a 2000 edition of Autocar having just ordered my second MkIV.

Look at what they have just done with the A3 3 door. VAG is going very corporate nose at the moment. Have you noticed the grille slats on the GT are the same as the R32? Would not be surprised to see a minor facelift next year.

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Irish- Mk2 was facelifted a few years in - side mirrors moved to the front of the doors. Mk3 was changed a few years in as well. Move from square side repeaters and aerial position on to roof..
Well I intentionally left the MKII out as there were changes as you mention as well as the big bumpers.

The MKIII changes you point out are a bit like what VW have done to the 2006 GTI - nothing worth crying over.

I still doubt we'll see that grill on the Golf next year anyway.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I think some people are forgetting the gti already has the corp nose, just in black, not silver. I'd be most upset if I were going to get an R32, as it makes it almost impossible to tell it's an R32 without closer inspection.

I'm sure vw will stick the corp nose on the Mk5 sometime, either june/july 2006 or early 2007, that would be roughly halfway thru it's life, but the gti will probably stay the same , as it has always been marked by black edging and red highlights.

only possible change i could see is a change to the lights, but again a mild tweak, nothing more.

·
Registered
461 Posts
^^ I agree, the GTI as said has the nose just in a different colour, the Jetta, Eos, Passat etc all have the chroime nose and VW are bound to do the same as subsidiary Audi and implement it on all vehicles... LED lights are also a new fgeature so IMO both are likely to make it ontop the Golf sooner or later [:|] my 2p...

Again, as said... the GTI wouldn't change as its a feature of it but I also agree that the R32 would look even less special in the company of the new nose

·
Registered
566 Posts
Those first set of pictures posted - I can't help but think that those are of the forthcoming Golf off-roader type vehicle. The suspension seems to be a little jacked up. Does anyone remember that VW did make an off-road type model of this derived from the Mk2 Golf? Can't remember what it was called exactly but this MkV might be a spiritual successor to that (if I'm right, that is)?

Apart from that, many cars have a 6 year life cycle. So the MkV was launched in 2004 and should be replaced in 2010 as has already been hinted on this thread. I don't think there will be any sheet metal changes as Irish has pointed out (and its a good case he is making) save for a few cosmetic changes which happen 3 years into a the life cycle (or otherwise half - way through its normal life cycle). These cosmetic changes also happened on MkIII, MkIV and I guess the MkV (in 2007).

~ Maxie

·
Registered
58 Posts
Contrary to popular belief the Golf III was facelifted. In 1996 the car featured restyled bumpers and modified interior trim parts, as well as revised engines, better sound insulation and suspension revisions, but you are right in saying it didn't receive a 'facelift' in the Anne Robinson sense of the word.

The Golf IV was due to be facelifted in a similar way to the Passat was, but Volkswagen saw no point because sales remained buoyant throughout it's life. In a similar vein to the Golf III the suspension was revised and in Germany in particular specific specification upgrades with an emphasis on making the car more dynamic were implemented.

Some time next year the Golf will receive revisions to lighting, namely the fitment of LED rearlights. Equipment will no doubt become morw lavish and alloy wheel designs will probably change, and i would of thought the renderings seen were fairly accurate, but as we all know this should'nt affect the residuals too much because a Golf remain a Golf and people will always prefer in over any Ford, Renault or Opel come what may.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts