Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, I am considering lowering my car, i've just started realising how stupidly high it sits on its standard springs!

Where i live the roads are fairly bad, so im after the best drop for looks, but one that is also practical on the stupid bumpy roads around where i live! I've read about coilover suspension being great, but expensive. If i bought a coilover kit, would i be able to take it off and use in on my next car, (another mk4 -1.8t or v6 for example?) if so, i may consider this.

But otherwise, what would be a good choice? Im not looking to spend too much on this as its only a 1.4, and should really be trying to save my money (keep spending it all on my car! [:O])

Anyone got any recommendations on a sensible drop, brand, where to buy etc would be great.

Heres a couple of pictures, just so you now what situation im in here! lol

Posted Image

Posted Image

has had some colour codeing done since!

Thanks in advance! [Y]

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Bump! Anyone?

Or has anyone got any pictures of their lowered 1.4? So far i've eibach seems to be a popular choice.

Im not sure on how far to lower, as 1.4s sit higher than the heavier engines (1.8s and up), wont i need to lower more to make the difference more worth while? Im sure a 30mm drop on a 1.8 would look really good, but on mine it wouldn't make much difference?

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cool, any pics of 40mm drop on 1.4?

Satnam, how low is your car out of interest? And whats the arb? [:$] Sorry for the stupid question, but you only know if you know!

·
Registered
5,416 Posts
Cool, any pics of 40mm drop on 1.4?

Satnam, how low is your car out of interest? And whats the arb? [:$]
Sorry for the stupid question, but you only know if you know!
Its not my car btw i drive a corsa [:'(] lol and yeah the golfs lowered
guessing about 60mm maybe a tad more as its on coilovers, we had an sdi
golf which was lowered on 50 mm springs and personally i thought that
had a better ride than our current setup with the 60mm lowering and
uprated dampers.. heres a pic of the sdi..

Posted Image

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Satnam, and that car looks sweet! So whos is the silver golf in your pic? Confused [*-)] Is that the other one you were talking about? 50mm drop looks really good. But thats too much for me i think.

So ideally, what else should i buy? The springs (obviously), shocks? Wont the stock ones get battered on lowered springs? I'll try to avoid upgrading the arb, shouldnt be necessary on 40mm, correct? What else might i consider?

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
5,761 Posts
Depending on how old the car is and how many miles it's done the standard shocks would take a 40mm drop but it's always best to change both as the springs will be matched to the shortened shocks. On a 40mm drop the ARB won't need changing but it may be an idea to change the bushes for some Poluflex ones as they will also improve the ride and handling. Hope this helps!

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi DMP, yes thats very helpful. My car is Splate and has done around 70,000miles. So maybe i'd be best changing the shocks now. Could prove more costly than i first thought, but worth it im sure!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Hi sorry to hijack the post but i`ve just looked on your website and
you dont seem to list shocks and spring kits for the 2.0 GTi, also what
does the 50/40mm mean is this that it will lower 50 or 40mm?

Cheers

Rob

·
Registered
5,416 Posts
Thanks Satnam, and that car looks sweet!
So whos is the silver golf in your pic? Confused [*-)] Is that the
other one you were talking about? 50mm drop looks really good. But
thats too much for me i think.

So ideally, what else should i buy? The springs (obviously), shocks?
Wont the stock ones get battered on lowered springs? I'll try to avoid
upgrading the arb, shouldnt be necessary on 40mm, correct? What else
might i consider?

Thanks for the help.
The silver golf is my bros' current golf as that was his last one..the
blue one is lowered 50mm and we never once scraped on that suspension
personally i really liked the way that car handled and it was ride-able
over bumps at okish speeds.

Ideally its totally up to you and depends on budget, personally just
get 40mm springs and lower it and depending on the amount of miles
you've done i.e over 50k i would personally change the shocks and get
shorter uprated shocks, also at 40mm you will clear the arb easily.

Iirc Awesome are doing a package of springs and shocks for a reasonable
cheap price which are a good make but can't remember what the make is
exactly at the moment...

HTH

Sat

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Cheers Sat, very helpful - as always [Y]

What about bushes? Will it be necessary to change them? Dont really want to, but if i have to....

Was it a Koni sport kit? I think thats only 35mm. It says its for 1.4, 1.6, 2.0, surely that means the 2.0 will sit lowest, and my little 1.4 will hardly drop at all? Or do they make the specific for these engine sizes (individual)?

Another thing, what sort of price am i looking at for fitting?

TIA

David

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
Iirc Awesome are doing a package of springs and shocks for a reasonable cheap price which are a good make but can't remember what the make is exactly at the moment...
Repeat 10,000 times: KONI!

[:D]

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
http://www.awesome-gti.co.uk/shop/customer/product.php?productid=849&cat=285&page=2

This one sounds great, but im concerned about how much lower it will actually make my 1.4 go. It says 'up to 35mm depending on model' im guessing the 2.0l will drop that much, being the heaviest, whats a 1.4 gonna do? Anyone used this on a 1.4?

Would prefer 40mm drop. Ive heard something about FK high tech, but cant find it anywhere.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts