Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone reading this.....It Has Come to the time again where your opinion is very important!!

I need peoples opinion on a car which i am selling for a friend....The asking price is 4995 ONO

The car description

1999 VW Golf 1.4 S 16V (T Reg)

Doors: 3

Engine Size: 1.4 16V

Colour: Flash Red

Millage: 66,000

Transmission: Manual

Fuel: Petrol

MOT: Aug 06

Service: Full service history

Ovners: 1 previous

Other:

Eletrics include

• Sunroof
  • Windows
  • Mirrors

Also

• Power steering obviously
  • standard alloys
  • remote central locking
  • driver and passenger airbags
  • folding rear seats
  • adjustable stearing wheel column
  • immobilizer
  • radio cassette
  • rear spoiler

• VERY good condition
  • Looked after
  • No dents or scratches

Is this a reasonable price to be asking for this car.... i have placed an advert on autotrader but can change it?

Any suggestions and opinions welcome

thanks T

[IMG alt="Main picture of vehicle"]...o.uk/ATD_web/servlet/media?id=308773967[/IMG]

[IMG alt="Main picture of vehicle"]...o.uk/ATD_web/servlet/media?id=308774005[/IMG]

[IMG alt="Main picture of vehicle"]...o.uk/ATD_web/servlet/media?id=308774041[/IMG]

·
Registered
299 Posts
Thats not too bad a price. but be prepaired to come down a bit. It would make a great first car for someone but they never have much too spend (or their parents!) If i was looking for a 1.4 16v golf and saw this i would come and have a good look just to find something wrong with it, then haggle the price down, if i couldn't get it down to budget i would probably still be very interested!

·
Registered
299 Posts
I think the absolute most i would spend would be ?4995! So you may get away with it but i would be much happier paying a couple of hundred less, maybee ?4500? I'm no expert though, anyone else have a better idea?

·
Registered
437 Posts
?2,500 more buys an X reg 4motion with recaro leather, fsh and the same
mileage. I think you're asking too much - around ?500-700 too much.

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
If you want a sale, it's about 1.5k overpriced.

You should be looking to sell for around ?3200 - ?3500

Just one quick look on autotrader tells me I cna pick up a 1.4 within 40 miles, V reg with 70k on the clock for ?3195 in excellent condition apparently from a TRADER!

Where did you get 5k from?

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Like i said before im seling it for a friend... He thinks that ?5,000 is duable but im thinking more ?4300 i would let it slip for anything lower doe.... The one from the dealer sounds good! for that price any way! is it some nasty colour or something......

keep the opinions come poeple

·
Registered
437 Posts
Your mate is in cuckoo land if he thinks he'll get ?5k for it.

There might be some mug out there - good luck to him if he finds them.

If he want to sell he should be willing to accept around ?3.5 - ?4k

Advertise for ?5k and he won't get much interest.

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
sorry that was suppose to say that i wouldnt let it slip for anything lower....lol
Ok, well all I will say is you will be holding on to it for a long time and spending a lot in advertising costs unless you get some fool coming to buy.

Give you an indication, just sold my Y reg 1.8T for ?4200, 109k. That should be worth more than the 1.4 your selling with ease.

If traders are selling a newer W reg with 67k on the clock for ?3195, how do you expect to get over ?4300 for a car thats 2 years older!?!? Remember, traders are making money too...

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
however 109K is a lot more than 66K or what ever it is......ill recomed to him that he advertises i at ?4200 because then at least he can come down to 4000 os he needs to....

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
however 109K is a lot more than 66K or what ever it is......ill recomed to him that he advertises i at ?4200 because then at least he can come down to 4000 os he needs to....
Yes I know its more. But what I'm saying is a 1.8T is more expensive, more desired, better engine etc etc, so it should easily still be worth more than a 3 year older 1.4 with 40k less on the clock.

Even if you advertise at ?4200, its still 1k overpriced. It's a T reg! Its a 1.4! Its not worth anywhere near ?4200.

You wanted opinions and advice, yet you dont seem to be taking it from anyone! Not having a go, just saying as I see it. You will have to come down, nearly ?1000, so is it worth paying to advertise it at that price?

Just read above, TRADERS are selling a 2 year NEWER car with the SAME mileage as what your trying to sell for ?3195.

A private individual selling a 2 year OLDER car should not expect to get more than a dealer selling a newer version. Especially 1k more than a trader selling a newer car the same. Daft! I know this aint you, but tell yer mate to sell his own car, though I do think this is yours personally, which is why your not budging.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
well that sort of personality is good when it comes to selling a car...i can see you point in the fact that it is over priced, however i have just looked on to autotrade and the are plenty of 1.4's going for around ?4,300 with more millage....I would greatly appriciate if you show me where you found this one from the trader for ?3195 coz i cant seem to find it? Aslo You know that "fool" that you was talking about well i found him and hes going to be viewing the car tomorow. And it is opinions and advide i am looking for that why i am taking it all in and passing the comments to my mate....Like i said before it ain my car i was just interested in what people thought of the price, and my thought that it was over price has been stated...i realistically think that 4,300 is reasonable but then again im sure people have their differnt prices....Any way W36 EJO thanks for your comments, they have been in and will be passed on if this sale flops! [Y] Aslo mate is auto place the best place to advertise....Do you know if fish4cars is any good?

·
Registered
6,881 Posts
Just don't think I'm having a go, I'm not!

Well done on finding the fool! Hope he comes through, wish I could find one!

As for the prices I got, click here and it will open an autotrader page listing solely trade 1.4's within 200 miles of my postcode. As you can see, plenty the same spec as your mates, with the same sort of mileage for around ?3100-?3400. The ?3195 one I was talking about is the blue one 3 down.

This is why I can't see someone buying this one at ?4300. Unless of course they cannot research themselves. They will be miffed though when they come to sell it. If they sold it 2 months later it would have depriciated about 1.5k [:D]

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Na its kool it aint coming accross as your having a go, your just trying to get your point accross which is understandable..... The man who went to view it didnt end up ringing back so im guessing he found a cheaper one....i brought my 1.6 for around 4900 and that was of a trader so i dont think its very likely that the 1.4 goes for the same price but if it does then thats hands together for my mate..... i have told him to look at this discussion so he can get ideas about the price..... i can see what you mean about them being so cheep now....wish i researched more before buying my 1.6 for ?4,900

·
Registered
737 Posts
Turbomatic,

I have bought & sold 5 MKIVs and am trying to source a a MKIV for a friend for @?5000. I've found a clean 2001/X silver 1.6SE with 50K & fsh for ?4850. Your mate's car is worth @ ?3600. It looks a nice car but in reality is not very saleable; a first time buyer would struggle to raise the money, someone looking for a family hatchback or second car will want 5 doors. The colour is not the best; look around and you'll see very few bright red MKIVs. Having said that; it's a reasonable spec(much better than E spec) and has full history so should find some buyers.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
ye i do agree....

You stated that there are not a lot of brigh red cars do you think this would be seen as a positive or a negative???

1 - 19 of 19 Posts