Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All - (Not Too Sure If this Post Belongs Here)

I've Currently Got A Mk4 1.4 16v S, And Its Got Too Slow For Me!! I'm
Currently 19 With 1 Years No Claims And Looking At Different Mkiv's.

I've Got The Money For A New Car, But I Don't Wanna Be Ripped Off By The
Cost Of Insurance!!! ( I Mean I Can Always Upgrade Again Next Year ). Hehe

Could You All Put In Your Input On The Quotes I Have, Comparing To The Best
Value For Money Vs. Performance.

Ok Here It Goes...( Fully Comp )

1.6 16v SE - ?1200

1.8 GTi ( Non Turbo ) - ?1600 - ( Nice Price, But Was Only Made Upto 99' I
Think )

2.0 GTi - ?1800 - ( Only 0.3 Sec's Quicker Than The 1.6 16v (0-60) )

1.9 S TDI - ?1600 - (100BHP Version)

And I Wont Even Post the Quotes I Got For The 1.8T Or the 2.3 V5

Ok I Will..

1.8T - ?2300

2.3 V5 - ?2400

I Think The Above Two Are Out The Question .... LOL

·
Registered
3 Posts
hey try elephant, they quoted me 1100 fully comp for a 1999 golf mk4 1.8 gti

im only 18 with no ncb and have a claim on my insurance. put your parents as named drivers and it brings it down 400ish

hope this helps

andy

·
Registered
639 Posts
Mate, I'm also 19 with 1 NCD but also 1 claim. Try elephant.co.uk, I'm on my 2nd V5 with them now, paying 1400 fully comprehensive. I was quoted 1125 fully comprehensive for a 1.8T.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Last year I was 18 and had 2yr NCB on my Golf Mk4 TDI 100PS, got my insurance full comp with my parents on it for ?1200 from Norwich Union, got it this year for ?863 again with Norwich Union after haggling with them over there first info for renewal when a Broker could get it for ?890 with NU! So haggle halggle haggle and see where you get, but the service I get with NU is good, helpful people, seem good value as well.

I use Confused.com for the main of my searching.

·
Registered
299 Posts
I would go for the 1.9 TDI.... upgrade the injectors and chip it... a very healthy increase :D

Have you tried a quote on any of the PD engines.. i.e 115bhp... you will have ALOT more on tax with these and wider range of upgrades...

·
Registered
48 Posts
The 100bhp TDI is a PD engine.

I've got a 110 GT TDI at 19 0NCB, 3 points, 24k a year, for ?1200.

Just been quoted for an S3 when I'm 20 1NCB for ?1300! Tempting.....

·
Registered
873 Posts
Hi im 19 have no NCB got insured on my 1.8 T 2001 for ?1300 3rd party fire and theft with admiral. So if you can manage not to hit sum1 for a couple of years then go for the 1.8 T. I put my mum as a named driver and the quote came down by 1.5k.

·
Registered
874 Posts
To be honest I wouldn't bother changing cars.

For the amount extra you have to pay for insurance it's not worth it. The TDI although slightly quicker than your car will be the same spec interior wise so is it worth spending money to change? Likewise, a 1.8n/a or 2.0 GTI will have a nicer interior but won't be much quicker, so again is it worth the extra outlay for not much extra car?

I'd keep your car for another year, then you might be able to get a 1.8T for less than the ?1500 mark.

Good advice above about adding parents onto the policy. My brother has just turned 20 with no NCB and has a Civic Jordan insured with Elephant for about ?1400. Putting me and my mum on the policy reduced it from about ?1700.

·
Registered
38 Posts
sorry to bring this topic back up.

i am 21 but with no ncb. i have been looking at insurance for a 1.8t 1999 and elephant.co.uk has quoted me 3490!! i live in swindon, and it isn't even a particularly dodgy area.

·
Registered
530 Posts
insurance companies are a weird breed, no-one seems to know how they come up with quotes. I would try ringing companies instead of doing it online, they allways seem to get me cheaper quotes!!!

just a suggestion

Good Luck

Noel

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
I would go for the 1.9 TDI.... upgrade the injectors and chip it... a very healthy increase :D

Have you tried a quote on any of the PD engines.. i.e 115bhp... you will have ALOT more on tax with these and wider range of upgrades...
Do the insures go on the cars BHP?? If so than a 115 TDi makes a lot of sense, it will have a shed load of torque but perhaps you'll only pay for '115 BHP'. True it can be chipped when you can afford it.

·
Registered
69 Posts
im 19 and got 1ncb, got a 99 gt tdi 110 and got my mum as a named driver 900quid cost me ,norwich union im with, wanting to get some mods tho so might go up [:O]

·
Registered
45 Posts
ELEPHANT !!

They're good (apparently--aren't they), but have just quoted me ?5459 for a 1.9TDI 90BHP...

are they mad ??!!

·
Registered
8,220 Posts
hi

try the following:

moneysupermarket.com

confused.com

they query pretty much most of the high street insurance companies

hafizur

1 - 17 of 17 Posts