Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure if this has been posted before, but anyway.....

ADSL Max is officially launched:clicky

ISPs offering ADSL Max services:clicky

When will my exchange get it:clicky

What sort of download speed can I expect:clicky

How to get line stats: clicky1 or clicky2

·
Registered
837 Posts
BT always make we laugh with how "safe" they have to be. I work in the ISP side of the broadband market providing support to LLU-type ISPs - these are the ones that use their own DSL equipment in exchanges and don't backhaul through BT Wholesale. Many of these other ISPs have the technology installed and are now running ADSL2+, quite reliably up to 20 Meg and slightly more. We were testing these speeds in our labs about 2 years ago. Okay, so to get these speeds you really need to have decent copper going to your house, but come on BT, 8 Meg is old news.

That said, I suppose it's better than no speed increase at all [:D]

·
Registered
360 Posts
Sorry for ther Hi-Jack..

Spanner - We live in an area which is limited to 1mb (presumably because of the distance from the exchange), do you think this will change i.e. is technology improving to get more speed down the same wire (if you see what I mean!)..

Cheers

Chris

·
Registered
837 Posts
@ Haddock/Chris :

Until I buy myself a place (hopefully in the next month or so), I'm with my folks in the middle of deepest, darkest Gloucestershire. I too, can only get a 1 meg ADSL connection. However, the ADSL2+ standard uses more frequency space and as a result offers better reach. This could be to the extent where a line limited to 1 Meg could theoretically be extended to around 2 Meg. Obviously it still depends on the nature of the copper to your house but ADSL2+ is certainly more flexible.

·
Registered
360 Posts
@ Haddock/Chris :

Until I buy myself a place (hopefully in the next month or so), I'm with my folks in the middle of deepest, darkest Gloucestershire. I too, can only get a 1 meg ADSL connection. However, the ADSL2+ standard uses more frequency space and as a result offers better reach. This could be to the extent where a line limited to 1 Meg could theoretically be extended to around 2 Meg. Obviously it still depends on the nature of the copper to your house but ADSL2+ is certainly more flexible.
Ah, so there is hope! Its more the upload speed Im after, as I play counter-strike online and 256 limits the number of players I can host..

Thanks for the advice..

·
Registered
837 Posts
Without getting to technical, it's possible to steal bandwidth from the downstream path and use it for upstream. However this is obviously up to the Telco/ISP.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Cheers for the info Redbutcher - Look forward to a bit more speed from my currently limited 1MB connection. The link provided, with my SNR & Attenuation suggests I should be able to get just over 2MB - which is nice[:)]

·
Registered
4,628 Posts
Cheers for the info Redbutcher - Look forward to a bit more speed from my currently limited 1MB connection. The link provided, with my SNR & Attenuation suggests I should be able to get just over 2MB - which is nice[:)]
Isn't that relating to the existing products thought?? I'm not reading that as planning for the new products??

Mine's pap anyway, 56dB down and 30dB up! [:(]

C

·
Registered
875 Posts
Can't find anything in routers web front end to about the snr & Attenuation, is there anyother way to find it out?

·
Registered
4,628 Posts
What router - mine wasn't in my web interface??

I haev to telnet into mine where you can play with the funky command line stuff (amazing some of the tweaks you can do that make the net a whole lot faster [;)])

C

·
Registered
837 Posts
I have a WAG354G and an old WAG54G v1 at home. On both of those I can go to the "Status" panel and then s elect the "DSL Connection" sub panel in the web interface. It shows both upstream and downstream attenuation and margins. Use the figures for downstream to obtain a calculation for your estimated downstream rate.

·
Registered
875 Posts
On the DSL Status page I have the following

Downstream Rate: 2272
Kbps<o:p></o:p>

Upstream Rate: 288 Kbps<o:p></o:p>

<o:p> </o:p>

Encapsulation: RFC 2364 PPPoA<o:p></o:p>

Multiplexing: VC<o:p></o:p>

Qos: UBR<o:p></o:p>

Pcr Rate: <o:p></o:p>

Scr Rate: <o:p></o:p>

Autodetect: Disable<o:p></o:p>

VPI: 0<o:p></o:p>

VCI: 38<o:p></o:p>

Enable: 1<o:p></o:p>

PVC Status: Up<o:p></o:p>

·
Registered
837 Posts
Just taken a look at the manual for my WAG54G and it shows a similar picture to the information you posted. I was running a beta version of firmware on my 54G before I swapped it for a 354G - this is probably why the extra info was present. Can't think of any other way you could get the information I'm afraid.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Thanks for the suggestions. I guess I will have to wait and see what I get when the upgrade comes through from plus.net.

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
A good 'rough' calculator for what speed you could possibly get is here: http://212.23.23.177/calc.htm

From what i've read, Max is an adaptive line that will give you the best speed acheivable once activated (you must request via your ISP, its not automatic even when your exchange is enabled), so you could have anything from 512k-7.2mb. As my line will only support a smidgen above 2mb, its pointless me upgrading to Max..... for the simple reason that the Max plans at the minute are dearer, have lower download caps, and is unsuitable for gaming due to the higher latency.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Isn't that relating to the existing products thought?? I'm not reading that as planning for the new products??

Mine's pap anyway, 56dB down and 30dB up! [:(]

C
It's definitely for the max products.

Chris, you're not wrong about the higher latency. Quote from the news article link posted:

There is one exception and it is one gamers want to avoid, and that is
the interleave option, which is a more robust form of error correction
on the ADSL line and at the expense of 20 to 40ms of latency, the
advantage being the line will run faster and more reliably. Interleave
is an option the service providers will have the ability to enable and
disable.

If you're into your on-line gaming it's probably worth telling your ISP that you don't want Interleave switched on for your line to reduce the latency.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I've updated the first post with info on how to get line stats - doesn't look like you can get stats for v1 of the WAG54G

·
Registered
942 Posts
I've just been on the BT Broadband checker and get the following message

"Your exchange has ADSL broadband.

Our
initial test on your line indicates that you should be able to have an
ADSL broadband service that provides a line rate of 2Mbps, 1Mbps,
512Kbps or 256Kbps.

If you decide to place an order, a further
test will be performed to confirm if your line is suitable for the
service you wish to purchase.

Thank you for your interest."

I'm with Nildram, and they tell me I can only have 1Mbps [:S]

·
Registered
4,628 Posts
In theory, Nildram should be right having had a proper survey done on your line before providing you with a service, which proves exactly what you can have.

The BT Broadband Checker isn't 100% accurate, and has been known to tell fibs, due to the way it works out distances and stuff like that. Copper quality and all that techy stuff makes a different too, so if you've got an ancient line that's falling to bits, the line noise and what not will reduce what service you can have.

Make any vague sense??

Could always ask Nildram to re-evaluate??

C

1 - 20 of 36 Posts