Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Kjohal
916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys, I been spending my day getting insurance quotes for my gt tdi 115 2001 with no modifications, just as it is, also decided to add my wife on who has been driving since April 2005 (when she passed) and is 24 years old. I am 26 with 2 years no claims discount, now after trying confused.com I was getting quotes for ?800 - ?1500, I know this was down to having my mrs on the insurance - as on my own it was about the 500-600 mark. Anyways I tried some individual companies as follows - these are for both me and the mrs with fully comp insurance

performance direct - ?1196

Directline.com - ?790 (me only)

Morethan - ?825

Admiral - ?451.45 - now i personally think this is a great price for me and the mrs, fully comp, ?250 excess!!!

Why is there such a difference??? any ideas - also I have heard of admiral before so it not like there are unknown company or anything like that - although not sure what to do!!! what do you guys think?!?!?!?! some people say paying so little for car insurance isnt always a good thing - any advice greatly appreciated - as always from the guys and gals on here!![:)]

·
Registered
67 Posts
Ive been with Admiral for 2 years.... as i found them the cheapest for my car....

Ive just had to make a claim, and their support and communications have been excellent....

Go for it....

·
Kjohal
916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
update - just tried adrian flux and looking at ?887.84 for me and mrs

first alternative - ?831.48 - me only -

Budget - ?1043.22 me and mrs - it seems to me , with my mrs on the insurance as she has only passed recently most companies are hitting me from ?750 upwards, but as for admiral, adding my mrs as an additional driver bought it down by two quid!!! weird!

ash - thanks for that reply - looks like it gona be admiral to me!!!! - im still not undertsanding the wide variations in prices!!! [*-)]

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
im insured with admiral. cheapest i found, and boy did i shop around! ive not made a claim with them but they have been super effecient with paperwork etc.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
I always shop around and I'm with Admiral again at the moment, the cheapest I could find.

But watch out with their on-line quote generator. When I was younger I used it, got a good quote then rang them to finalise and the price increased alot as they said the on-line price from the quote generator was only a guide.

·
Kjohal
916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
what about if i pay online with my flexible friend, would they still be able to increase the quote????

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
I don't know what the current situtation would be but if you pay on line and it doesn't ask for any further info, then I can't see the quote going up. If the price is good give it a go!

·
Registered
398 Posts
im insured with admiral. cheapest i found, and boy did i shop around! ive not made a claim with them but they have been super effecient with paperwork etc.
Likewise....I went with Admiral in the end.....cheapest for me at ?365 for a lightly modded 2001 1.8T....(I recently got a quote from them for an 2003 R32 which came in at ?540..[Y])...both protected too...[:D]

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'm with Admiral as well. Bonus accelerator scheme is good too.

N15CKO - is that ?250 just voluntary or including compulsory? As
few have been caught out thinking their excess is ?x when you've got a
compulsory excess of approx ?150 on top of that.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Admiral must like Golfs, I'm with them too, when looking for my
insurance before i took delivery of the car i found some silly prices
and Admiral were best by miles. I used Confused.com initially, and
Admiral did come in cheap, then once I went onto their site it got
cheaper. I then called them and got it cheaper still. Been with them
for past couple of years.

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Ive been with Admiral for 2 years.... as i found them the cheapest for my car....

I made a claim and their support and communications have been excellent....

Go for it....
I made a claim a year ago and Admiral were awesome, I am still with them as they are still the cheapest for me!!

·
Registered
398 Posts
I'm with Admiral as well. Bonus accelerator scheme is good too.

N15CKO - is that ?250 just voluntary or including compulsory? As few have been caught out thinking their excess is ?x when you've got a compulsory excess of approx ?150 on top of that.
Its with a ?250 all in excess on the 1.8T.....and ?350 all in on the R32..[Y]

·
Kjohal
916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well guys thanks for your posts, after a few more quotes, (one reaching ?1500 quid) and the others still around the ?600 mark I have gone with the admiral quote - ?451 with me and my mrs who has only had her license 9 months - well chuffed - I was expecting to spend about 600-700 so I guess I have some left now - im sure I will be able to think of something to spend the money on, maybe some aero wipers, new gear knob who knows hey - but im happy with me insurance for a change!!!!

cheers for the advice fellas - oh and merry xmas

·
Registered
432 Posts
Admiral charge a lot if you have points!

and i thought points made prizes

zero points for me ?790 - with my points (3 last month and 3 in 2002, over 3yrs old) - shoots up to ?1580 [:O]

·
Registered
654 Posts
I have a slightly modded Golf, Admiral have quoted me ?108 less than previous insurance with Red Star. Due for renewal this month and I added ?150 extra excess (?210 excess). Insurance ?472 all in.

I searched the forum for the same reason... why so much variation? Not complaining!

I examined confused.com, Admiral were the only insurer interested as I had a slightly modified Golf [:|]

I think they don't offer so much personal injury cover... only ?5000

·
Kjohal
916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
So far I have spoke to admiral and there customer service is brilliant, even rang me to say thanks for taking insurance out with them, posted them my proof of ncb and all is good!!!! Go with admiral, I spent a good two days comparing policies etc and they seem to be good imho!!!!!

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
Admiral charge a lot if you have points!

and i thought points made prizes

zero points for me ?790 - with my points (3 last month and 3 in 2002, over 3yrs old) - shoots up to ?1580 [:O]
?120 extra for my 3 points (SP30) which were just over 3 years old at the time.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Ahh!!

I tried elephant and admiral and got a quote of ?3700!!!

I'm 21, 2.0TDI Sportline, and from Northern Ireland. It's so ridiculous... in England the insurance is DIRT cheap!!

Just thought I'd rant!

Paul

·
Registered
368 Posts
i hav just turned 18 and been driving for a year so have a years no
claims (on my polo 9n) i now have a GTI turbo mk4 (150bhp) and
insurance with Admiral is ?1900. I think it is pretty good!!!!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts