Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
as i`ve done a couple of things recently and taken foto proof, i thought i`d do a little build thread. before i start on the golf i`ll give you some back story. my first car was a red 1.1 saxo and stuck on all the usual stuff - big exhaust, big wheels, plastic bumper extensions la la la.....but i dont have pics of this.

after a year and a half i upgraded to a vtr, which quickly had a 16v transplant with cams, mapped to 153 and i had it for just over 5 years

Posted Image

now we come to the golf, i bought it in november last year, insured it for 20 quid less than the modded saxo which i was quite surprised about. the day after i got it however before i was due to go to away the worst happened - i whacked the back of a fiesta, i almost cried. luckily the damage was cosmetic and i repaired it pretty quick.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
this is the beauty as standard

Posted Image

first item of buisiness was aero blades then the HID kit, i had a week off over the bank holidays (like most people i`m sure) and decided to get some of the bigger stuff done, head gasket was on the list (oil leak) but never got round to it, spent most of the time looking at wheels online then some RS6s came up in the classified ads on here all had kurb marks so i gave them a DIY refurb:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

one i experimented on

Posted Image

set of tyres costing £380 odered this week, JOM coilovers ordered last week which came yesterday

Posted Image

fitted today

Posted Image

Posted Image

with the wheel on it was real close

Posted Image

and as it sits now, level all round top arches 25.5" from the ground

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e184/adamb83/DSC00050.jpg

rides quite well i thought, not too hard not as wavey as standard units. the only thing that went wrong is when i took a quick blap around the yard, then realised i`d left the locking nut on the bolt in the wheel [facepalm] no more locking nut.

thats it for now

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
cheers guys, yeah paint would be the next big payout theres a few scratches on the top of the back bumber and i want the lower valences coded, possibly a badgeless grille but undecided on that yet. also thinking of a stage 1 but 138k on the clock with original clutch.....

·
Registered
39 Posts
Mate I had mine mapped last week, stage 1 Revo map with 165k on the clock n mines still on the original clutch. When it was plugged in it had not faults at all! :)

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
well its only been 2 years so i thought i`d get a little update going, finally got the lower valances painted just before christmas, changed the front suspension from knocking JOMs to 4mo coilovers with TT roll bar in october -

last month i put a front mount intercooler on, some of you may have seen this already -

you might have noticed i`ve painted the grille black as well, i think it looks better than the silver, and i got this puppy delivered yesterday -

PD150 turbo. gonna be fitting it tomorrow, if all goes to plan i`ll do the exhaust next month either custom or scorpion, then a remap in june possibly with r-tech if they have space. or if anyone can recommend mapping in the south?

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
well its in and boy what a difference, i had a look at the old turbo while it was out - the rod could barely move and the diaphram wouldnt hold vacuum, thats probably why i was getting overboost last week. also moved the pressure sensor to after I/C and gave it a well overdue wash

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
had a bit of black paint laying around so i did this

going for a semi stealth look, unfortunatly there wasn`t enuff to do the drivers side pipe but i think i might have another spraycan somewhere....also ordered 2 new bosch aero blades and some black heat wrap to go on the engine bay cooler pipes

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
lots of money been spent the past couple of months and more to go - ordered an ebay decat and scorpion exhaust yesterday which was delivered today, pics of that when its on next week, and i`m booked in for r-tech remap end of june.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
had some time to myself at work yesterday so fitted these bits

scorpion non res system, wanted to keep it discreet

ebay decat was a bit tight over the rack but still just clears

had to tweak the mounts a bit

and here its all on

both decat and scorpion were from ebay, makes a lovely note almost like it has a cone filter, and suprisingly quiet at low revs until you hoon it

·
Registered
461 Posts
bout time for another update methinks

so had the anni wheels since april, thought it was high time i had them refurbished

2013-11-26162858.jpg

and on the car (need to do some better pics)

2013-12-02101048.jpg

they`ve been on a week and i`ve managed to keep them off the kurbs....

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
well here we go again - another suspension change. the FKs were going the same way as the old JOMs, a sort of woop...woop...woop noise at low speed for a couple months now so made a decision to go back to an almost normal setup, heres what i got:

a quik before pic

2014-02-14141729.jpg

now having the TT arb i couldnt order struts on my reg but GSF who we use alot sorted me these, paid £47 each, online price £73

2014-02-14112000.jpg

2014-02-14112111.jpg

also asked if they still do lowering spring kits which they do, this -35mm set cost me £70, online price £107

2014-02-14112437.jpg

2014-02-14112552.jpg

getting the coilovers out was a piece of cake, haveing done it several times for various reasons, the new bilstiens were not so easy to put back in though, they were very slightly bigger so i had to take the hub assembly off and bash it onto the strut even with a wedge in the gap, but it go in eventually so i bolted on the top cup and put it all back together and realised something-

2014-02-14161538.jpg

the FK link bars were too short :dash2: and it was getting late to order a new set, so the rest of it went back together and im driving with no link bars til monday.

still it sits at a pretty good height, firm but not crashy, i`ll try getting a decent pic in the light

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.