Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

I am having problems with my car. For some reason my car hits a flat spot under acceleration in Second Gear between 3k-4k. So today I managed to get some time to test out the car and I am still getting the acceleration problems, but it is know doing it in all the gears, but only under heavy acceleration. I am also getting the Engine Light flash intermittently.

The strange thing is I only get these acceleration problem under heavy load, When not acceleration fast, the car drive ok. I am going to get VAG COM on the car tonight and see what that brings up. If anyone has some information that might help me, I would be very grateful.

I have managed to Scan the car with VAG COM and I got this error message. Could it be a Coil Pack problem.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Address 01: Engine

Part No: 06A 906 032 DR

Component: 1.8L R4/5VT 0003

Coding: 11500

Shop #: WSC 13110

2 Faults Found:

16684 - Random/Multiple Cylinder Misfire Detected

P0300 - 35-00 - -

16686 - Cylinder 2: Misfire Detected

P0302 - 35-00 - -

Readiness: 0000 0000

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sounds like a coil pack to me mate.[:^)]

GOOF
I was thinking that to. But if it was the Coil Pack surly it would make the car drive erratic all the time. At the moment I am only getting this problem with Acceleration under heave load. Apart from that the car drive fine.?

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Just a thought,but have you tried swapping no'2 coilpack to another cylinder and see if you get the same fault on the pack you swapped?

GOOF

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just a thought,but have you tried swapping no'2 coilpack to another cylinder and see if you get the same fault on the pack you swapped?

GOOF
I have not swooped any Coil-pack yet I have only scan with VAG COM.
I have just checked the code on the VAG COM site and I am not to sure where to start.
16684/P0300/000768 - Random/Multiple Cylinder Misfire Detected

Possible Causes
  • Air Intake System leaking
  • Fuel Supply faulty
  • Injector(s) faulty
  • Ignition Cable(s) and/or Spark Plug(s) faulty
  • Ignition Coil(s) faulty
  • Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) Valve (N18) stuck/open
  • Camshaft Position Sensor (G40) faulty
[edit]
Possible Solutions
  • Check Misfire Recognition
  • Check Air Intake System
  • Check Fuel Supply
  • Check Injector(s) and Injector Sealing
  • Check Ignition Cable(s) and Spark Plug(s)
  • Check Ignition Coil(s)
  • Check Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) Valve (N18)
  • Check Camshaft Position Sensor (G40)
[edit]
Special Notes
  • This DTC indicates that one or multiple cylinders are misfiring, but the ECU fails to identify the cylinder.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
16686/P0302 - Cylinder 2 Misfire Detected

Possible Causes
  • Ignition system
  • Fuel injectors
  • Fuel pressure
  • Running out of fuel
  • EVAP canister purge valve
  • Evaporative emission system
  • Low compression
  • Base engine problems
  • Controle Module damaged
[edit]
Special Note
  • This feature search for engine misfire in a specific cylinder. Most of the time the cause for a misfire is a lack of combustion in a cylinder due to absence of spark, poor fuel metering, or poor compression.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
I think i can rule out cam position sensor as this went on mine and only seemed to cause a lumpy idle and a slight lack of power.It does say in the special note of your last post "absence of spark" which leads me to think it's the coil pack again.Sorry i can't be of any more help. I will have a look into this for you matey.

GOOF

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think i can rule out cam position sensor as this went on mine and only seemed to cause a lumpy idle and a slight lack of power.It does say in the special note of your last post "absence of spark" which leads me to think it's the coil pack again.Sorry i can't be of any more help. I will have a look into this for you matey.

GOOF
I would appreciate any information you can give me.
Cheers
Wayne

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have managed to check a couple of things on the car today, and one of the things I checked was the Forge diverter valve. It turned out one of the Rubber-sealant ring has broken which might have caused the problem with the bad acceleration under high load.
I have not tested the car yet, but I have found a Bosh Valve I had as back-up and have put that on the car for now. I will yet you know if the valve is the problem.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have managed to check a couple of things on the car today, and one of the things I checked was the Forge diverter valve. It turned out one of the Rubber-sealant ring has broken which might have caused the problem with the bad acceleration under high load.
I have not tested the car yet, but I have found a Bosh Valve I had as back-up and have put that on the car for now. I will yet you know if the valve is the problem.
Dam, I still have the problem with acceleration under laod. At least I have found a problem with the diverter Valve,so I can fix that.

·
Registered
318 Posts
not only is cylinder 2 misfiring but there is also a random/multiple missfire detected.Are the spark plugs in good condition and set to the correct gaps? I`ve seen quite a few cars with repeat coil pack failures recently which seem to have been "induced" by worn out plugs.The latest with the same engine as your car had plug gaps getting on for 1/4 of an inch !!! which caused it to spit out two very similar fault codes.

Worth a check as it`s basic and easy to fix [:)]

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
not only is cylinder 2 misfiring but there is also a random/multiple missfire detected.Are the spark plugs in good condition and set to the correct gaps? I`ve seen quite a few cars with repeat coil pack failures recently which seem to have been "induced" by worn out plugs.The latest with the same engine as your car had plug gaps getting on for 1/4 of an inch !!! which caused it to spit out two very similar fault codes.

Worth a check as it`s basic and easy to fix [:)]
I replaced the spark plugs when I first got the car at 50K just to be on the save side. I got the Original plugs from VW but I did not check the spark gaps. Good idea to check the plugs. Do you have the correct spec for the spark plug gap?

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well I managed to check the spark plugs today, and they are in? perfected condition. I am just going to get a new Coil Pack set.?Hopefully that will?fix the problem. I did ask VW if there was a "Good Will Gesture" but my car was not?registered in 2001 but in 2000, and VW said they will not change the coil pack. bloody typical.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Fixed.?Coils Pack as you all?suggested it was. The?original Coils which where in my car were version G. These coil packs are part of the VW recall set which where faulty. I still do not think I should have?paid for these Coil Packs as I have a faulty set. But?because VW are only replacing these coil in car which are?registered on 2001 Nov - 2002 Nov, I got shafted.
I hope this information help?people out there. And you never know, you might get your's replaced free of charge.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts