Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2002 MK4 1.8t GTi AUM
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,
I am new to VW and have a 2001 GTi i am doing up, I have just bought the car and some of the AC pipework has been cut and removed (a previous owner), I plan to just remove the rest of the system and was wondering if i will have any issues with the radiator cooling fans running properly ?? and will the non AC auxiliary belt be a strait fit with the pump removed ??
I haven't had a chance to run the car up to full temp while sitting still and check fan operation (as i had to leave for work and work away), although when buying the car it was sitting ticking over from cold while I had a look over it, then took the car on a run with the temp gauge sitting where is should and even left running after drive while we talked £££ and sorted out V5, the gauge never moved above where it should be (cant remember hearing fan running) drive home gauge as it should be.
Thanks for your help

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Imo fan operation should be fine, it'll be as if AC is switched off. The compressor coil is just on or off, and the high pressure switch only needs to be read when the AC is on, or attempted to be switched on. Could even just leave the pressure switch connected and cable tied out of the way, so it would just read low pressure and AC would never attempt to switch on, and power wouldn't go to the compressor plug.

Non AC aux belt will fit fine with compressor in situ, or with removed.

Do you have auto climate control or just regular 3 knob controls? Not sure if it's different for auto climate control, my thinking is for the bog standard controls.

·
Registered
2002 MK4 1.8t GTi AUM
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Imo fan operation should be fine, it'll be as if AC is switched off. The compressor coil is just on or off, and the high pressure switch only needs to be read when the AC is on, or attempted to be switched on. Could even just leave the pressure switch connected and cable tied out of the way, so it would just read low pressure and AC would never attempt to switch on, and power wouldn't go to the compressor plug.

Non AC aux belt will fit fine with compressor in situ, or with removed.

Do you have auto climate control or just regular 3 knob controls? Not sure if it's different for auto climate control, my thinking is for the bog standard controls.
Thanks (y) i'm sure it's just the basic 3 knob control for the system, i will be removing the AC rad and more than likely the compressor.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Just wondering why you’re removing the AC? I’ve climate in mine and wouldn’t be without it.

·
Registered
10,791 Posts
adding new or used pipes and refilling is the better action, these cars get quite hot with the summers we are getting now... and you could just pull the lot from a scrapped car or find someone near you that is breaking a golf

on the otherhand if you remove it the car will be a bit less heavy (that is and if you remove the lot including the stuff under the dash)

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
adding new or used pipes and refilling is the better action, these cars get quite hot with the summers we are getting now... and you could just pull the lot from a scrapped car or find someone near you that is breaking a golf

on the otherhand if you remove it the car will be a bit less heavy (that is and if you remove the lot including the stuff under the dash)
Gotta say I'd be a bit torn between fix and fill or rip it out... we're sort of in this position with the VectraB (it's not been filled for at least 6 years)
It'd depend on the extent of the damage I think...
If the latter, though, it'd have to all come out. Get the maximum benefit from the inconvenience of no aircon.

·
Registered
2002 MK4 1.8t GTi AUM
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

I would if it was my daily, im still trying to make up my mind whether to go back road blaster or just go all out on track day toy. either way the AC will be getting pulled out.

·
Registered
2002 MK4 1.8t GTi AUM
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
For the above yeah, rip it out, but any other time keep it. It keeps the windows demisted, keeps a nice constant temperature.
:ROFLMAO: ye back 23 years ago when cars you could afford as a teenager didn't have AC.

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
:ROFLMAO: ye back 23 years ago when cars you could afford as a teenager didn't have AC.
Think I was driving for about 23 years before I had a car with working a/c..... not sure it was an affordability thing, it just worked out that way :LOL:

·
Registered
4,557 Posts
Gotta say I'd be a bit torn between fix and fill or rip it out... we're sort of in this position with the VectraB (it's not been filled for at least 6 years)
It'd depend on the extent of the damage I think...
If the latter, though, it'd have to all come out. Get the maximum benefit from the inconvenience of no aircon.
Suggest you reinstate hoses with s/h parts.
I've had my Mk5 for over ten years and found that without A/C the front screen demisting is pretty poor, even with the blowers full tilt.

Sent from my HRY-LX1T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Suggest you reinstate hoses with s/h parts.
I've had my Mk5 for over ten years and found that without A/C the front screen demisting is pretty poor, even with the blowers full tilt.

Sent from my HRY-LX1T using Tapatalk
There's no issues with demisting in the vectra..
It's used fairly regularly throughout the year in all weathers and the only thing is it's a bit crap in the summer because the aircon is empty, that's all.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts