Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Haven't been about here in a while but i'm hoping some of the old heads are still here to help. I'm sort of snowed under with work and haven't had time to look up wiring diagrams to sort this out.

Basically I have a PD130 golf (originally 90bhp) and it's had the AC system removed completely. As usual the car has fan problems, no surprise on a mk4. This time the fault is that the fan control module (part ends in 506 H) is corroded and crapped out on me. So I was thinking instead of trying to find or buy a new one I can rewire it to operate without the fan controller.

Has anyone done this?

Or alternatively if it all falls through if anyone had a 506 H fan controller spare I'd take it off your hands.

Cheers
Baz

·
Super Moderator
50,244 Posts
I must be the only mk.4 owner ever that hasn't had that go wrong,hence I've never taken it apart[:D].All itt actually does is controls which of the two fans comes on,is that right?

Chris.

·
Registered
8,293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The controller itself is usually ok, But as you probably know the whole fan system is a bit quirky. This set of relays in the box must have got wet and just made a messy of the inards. It's just 3 relays and a couple of other components really and switches between the 3 fan speeds and controls when it's off completely too. Unfortunately when these do short they turn the fans on all the time. Doesn't do the battery much good.

·
Registered
123 Posts
My fan went and took out the distribution block on top of battery and the fan module. costly to say the least.

As for bypassing, make a circuit of its own. the 3 pins in the plug are the speeds, slow/fast so wire it up to the fast side. use the thermo switch to switch a relay and drive the fan direct. put a fuse inline on both circuits for protection, job done.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.