Volkswagen Mark IV Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well ....where to start.

My stepdad is in the process of selling his 2006 Jaguar XK. He called a company yesterday to view an Audi A8 which is what he is looking to change it for.

So today he goes down to have a look in the Jag and suit from work (clearly a serious buyer), likes the colour and all the extra's, and mileage were all very good. Price was fair too.

So my stepdad then asks to take it for a drive to which the salesman replied "are you going to sell your Jag before purchasing this car?"

My stepdad says "Yes" and the salesmen then went on to say something along the lines of "sorry you are not able to take this car out because it could take weeks to sell your car and we will probably sell it before then anyway."

My stepdad was furious and said to this guy that he is choosing not to buy the A8 first because he doesent want two cars on the drive, and that he could purchase this car outright anyway! Why would a motor dealer not let a potential customer test drive the car! They have lost a customer as my stepdad really liked the car and would have probably secured the car with a deposit within a few days......its just ridiculous that they would refuse a test drive because they didnt think he would be the one ot buy it.....

Sorry but this really made me angry, happened to one of my friends at the weekend who went to look at a volvo s40 and they said that he couldnt drive it unless he would buy it ?!?!?!?!!? he said "how will i know if i like it, I havent driven one before!" and then left the trader, he had the money to buy the car there and then!

Sorry to rant and it probably doesent sound as bad now but its stupid how these people think they are going to sell cars!

·
Registered
2,861 Posts
what a load of crap, stupid dealers, they need all the sales they can get, this kind of behaviour always confuses me [:s]

one good thing though. it looks like your Stepdad was trying to buy the wrong car, i think he meant an S8, oh yes [:p] haha

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
mate had the same problem. we both went into volvo, he wanted a test drive in the c30 (?) and the guy took one look at us (mate is covered in tattoos, beard and massive strechers) and basically told us where to go, even though my mate had more than enough for the deposit that day. idiots

·
Registered
3,289 Posts
Dealer's attitudes are weird. You get those who will do anything for a sale. I went to look at an Impreza before I had the Golf. 19 years old, turned up with my brother. I asked if I could have a test drive, and had the keys thrown at me with the phrase, "You bend it, you mend it." No driving license check, no deposit, nothing.

Yet when I went to look at another Impreza, I was told, "You'll never insure it at your age, there's no point in a test drive son."

Little did he know I had the full amount in my pocket.

His loss at the end of the day. I wouldn't want to spend my money with anyone like him anyway. [:^)]

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
what a load of crap, stupid dealers, they need all the sales they can get, this kind of behaviour always confuses me

one good thing though. it looks like your Stepdad was trying to buy the wrong car, i think he meant an S8, oh yes
haha
I know ! How do they expect to sell cars when they dont accomodate their customers at all.... and an S8! as much as he (and I) would love an S8 it kind of voids the reason of seeling the Jag, running costs and also downgrading (value wise) becuase we are moving house.

A friends of ours has the 6.0l W12 A8 and that is one machine! beats almost anything off the lights yet looks so understated you wouldnt believe it had that kind of engine under the bonnet!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts